One Synth Challenge #155: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to use repro but the cpu hit from like 50 instances (and commercial fx) will be wild. wish there was an "HQ mode only on mixdown" option.maybe I'll sample the drum hits or something and play them back in a sampler or whatever.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:58 am I want to use repro but the cpu hit from like 50 instances (and commercial fx) will be wild. wish there was an "HQ mode only on mixdown" option.maybe I'll sample the drum hits or something and play them back in a sampler or whatever.
Sampling the drum hits is against the rules.
You can bounce the whole track down but you can't sample individual hits.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:58 am I want to use repro but the cpu hit from like 50 instances (and commercial fx) will be wild. wish there was an "HQ mode only on mixdown" option.maybe I'll sample the drum hits or something and play them back in a sampler or whatever.
Maybe I'm wrong but I think HQ is often not necessary in repro except in some situations... Check uhe's manual about it.
But in the end still damn heavy on cpu even without Hq activated... :?

nm

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:11 pm Lol, I guess I can just print it, slice the hits, and move the files around in my DAW arranger. If I'm not doing modulation on the files it's literally the *exact same thing*, but whatevs.
Again, sampling of any type is explicitly not allowed (this would include printing to audio and chopping it up). You can, of course, render an entire track (I would say a phrase of like 8 or 16 bars would probably be fine, too). While I personally tend to agree that it would make things easier and would probably vote to allow it, the nuance here is that some synths are difficult to get consistent percussion with, such as ones with free running oscillators and sampling would allow you to sample a bunch of them, pick a "good" one and just use that all over.
Last edited by z.prime on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oops.

z.prime wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:16 pm You can, of course, render an entire track (I would say a phrase of like 8 or 16 bars would probably be fine, too).
But I would say that the phrase should stay in the same place on the track and only once, ie no copy paste along the track. Would seem silly to render a whole track where most is silence!!

I think the issue with render/copy/paste would be that in the end these "samples" would get chopped around etc, and would be hard to police, but I agree, some synths don't give consistent perc (or other things potentially), but maybe we need to live with that, and accept "less than perfect" sounds from some synths?

dB

doctorbob wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm ...some synths don't give consistent perc (or other things potentially), but maybe we need to live with that, and accept "less than perfect" sounds from some synths?
No 'maybe' needed there. These challenges are all about that sort of limitations. aren't they ? Not about squeezing one's preferred sound out of any synth by any means. Hence the rules being what they are. Makes perfect sense. To me, anyway.

Hey there,

I wanna take any-synth-month as a great opportunity to try lesser known synths and I've chosen this very cool one:
The FM synthesizer OPNplug a simulation of Yamahas YM2612 chip which was mostly used in Sega's Mega Drive/Genesis/Doraibu console end of the 80's. The more "experienced" gamers around here might remember.
It's available here (Win/Mac/Lin): https://github.com/jpcima/ADLplug Binaries are a bit hidden further down the page (development builds).
I made a little happy bouncy synthpop tune, hope you enjoy it!

DAW: zrythm alpha27.0.3

22x OPNplug

Plugins:
-DragonFly Reverb
-LSP Parametric EQ
-Airwindows ToTape5
-Calf Compressor
-Calf Vintage Delay
-x42 EQ
-ZamCompX2
-GxDelay-Stereo by Guitarix

Master Bus:
-LSP Parametric EQ
-LSP Stereo Compressor
-airwindows ToTape5
-ReFine
-x42-dpl

https://soundcloud.com/mylofymusic/mylofy-doraibu

Have fun!

z.prime wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:16 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:11 pm Lol, I guess I can just print it, slice the hits, and move the files around in my DAW arranger. If I'm not doing modulation on the files it's literally the *exact same thing*, but whatevs.
Again, sampling of any type is explicitly not allowed (this would include printing to audio and chopping it up). You can, of course, render an entire track (I would say a phrase of like 8 or 16 bars would probably be fine, too). While I personally tend to agree that it would make things easier and would probably vote to allow it, the nuance here is that some synths are difficult to get consistent percussion with, such as ones with free running oscillators and sampling would allow you to sample a bunch of them, pick a "good" one and just use that all over.
Yeah that makes sense, I thought of the example of free running oscillators or randomization and edited my comment.

No sampling is specially hard for those who might be thinking of using a hardware synth for this challenge, :/
dedication to flying

--
Last edited by Spring Goose on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z.prime wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:16 pm
I've always thought that part of the challenge is that once you print to audio, you shouldn't do anything with that audio at all. And that becomes tricky when you start doing the arrangement, because you can't just decide to double the length of the intro or something, or decide to offset the track slightly because it's out of time, or whatever.

You can also take it as a positive, because it forces you to commit to something when perhaps you don't feel completely comfortable with it, and that makes you think a bit harder about the shape of the song. The whole point of the challenge is to give yourself limitations to deal with, but everyone's mmv ofc.

I have a question regarding sampling. E.g. JD-800 plugin or Zenology pro has/can use built in samples (which you can't change) as the oscillators, are they allowed or not?
Or let's say Xpand!2 which while you can't see it internally also is using samples.
The rules should be more explicit regarding this.

mudi1974 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm I have a question regarding sampling. E.g. JD-800 plugin or Zenology pro has/can use built in samples (which you can't change) as the oscillators, are they allowed or not?
Or let's say Xpand!2 which while you can't see it internally also is using samples.
The rules should be more explicit regarding this.
These are not allowed. The rules may be a bit vague, but "No use of samples, sample libraries or live sounds" I think is intended to cover that sample-based instruments, or "sample libraries" are not allowed. Also this has been stated in the past on the forums which obviously not everyone would know about. It becomes more annoying when there are hybrid instruments (like ANA2) that have both synthesis AND sample playback and certain patches are not allowed because they are sample-based... :dog:

Return to “Instruments”