How you use clip launcher in your DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How you use clip launcher in your DAW?

(1) I never touch the arranger time-line, my projects stay in clip launcher
1%
(2) I record, create, edit & play in clip-launcher, only final touches happen on the arranger time-line
14%
(3) I go between both, treating clip launcher like a note pad with ideas to try & maybe use later
33%
(4) I primarily work on linear time-line, only chop & move things to clip launcher for live performance
5%
(5) I never touch the clip launcher
21%
My DAW doesn't have a clip launcher
17%
Fish
10%

Total votes: 132

RELATED
PRODUCTS

voidhead23 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:13 am You forgot to mention in the poll actually performing live with the clip launcher...follow actions in Live are insanely useful if you want backing tracks to follow a linear progression in some parts but then just loop until told to change for other parts where you want the band to be able to just jam for a while.

I think if i was a proper composer this workflow would feel unnecessary. But i'm coming at it from a band paradigm, jamming it out in the rehearsal space approach, and clip launchers are as close as a computer can be to being my 'band' that can jam out ideas, tweak, explore and cull parts before committing to tape.
I'm not performing live, but I have a live performance mindset when creating compositions... with spontaneous live playing. Kinda like you are describing the band paradigm in rehearsal space and yes, the Clip Launcher (Session in LIve) is excellent for that.

Some years back I was in an improvisational theatre group and we did live unscripted performances. We would ask someone in the audience to give us a word/phrase to use as a starting point and go from there... no script, plan or rehearsal. I loved it! Sometimes it came out amazing and sometimes so not :hihi: That is my basic mindset for composing music.

I know a filmmaker who was exploring fictional dramas without a fixed script. Only a general concept of the flow of the story and the actors had to come up with their lines spontaneously. They asked me to do a soundtrack for it with the stipulation that I had to mainly make the soundtrack live while watching the drama (post filming and editing) for the first time. I would not have wanted to do that project without the Clip Launcher!

Synthack wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:59 pm Nice stuff! I just had a listen to On Hazy Wings and recognized what sounds like a Hive2 preset right away! I normally find that all the 4/4 on the floor dance stuff sounds the same but i actually enjoyed this.

Usually how I work, i'll take my midi keyboard and jam around with a few different chord
progressions. I've gotten good at playing 8-bar riffs and stopping just about exactly. However after I find a good melody I'll make some loops out of it.

If i dont want to sound repetitive i'll use Scalar2 or something.

Btw now i plan on buying your digital discography later when i get more funds! Not for 0.50 Euros though, but something a bit more fair. :tu:
:love: Thanks!

The sounds in Hazy are from Diva and Omnisphere, presets heavily(?) modified as is usual for us, we sometimes use when needing some FM or different flavours, the synths Live Suite provides.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Even Ardour is now getting a clip launcher.

Looks like its fast becoming de rigueur. Who will be the last to implement one? - Cubase or Studio One? - Bandlab Sonar has had a half implemented one for a long time, maybe they will finally get to finish it off?

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/clip-lau ... r-7/106479

I hope that Cubase gonna a get an S1 like scratchpad tool instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7KVSF-lhQI
from where the MIDI/audio/automation can be edited/listened and copied to the arranger directly ( arranger track/events can be used here too so MIDI triggering can be solved but don't think that Cubase needs super duper live oriented features)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 amWho will be the last to implement one? - Cubase or Studio One?
I would rather that S1 implements shared "scenes", i.e. an extension of shared clips, where whole vertical slice of arrangement track works like alias - change in one place & all copies get updated everywhere. Like Reason's blocks.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I have never understood why a clip could not not just be looped on the linear timeline.

Create a track and make a four bar bass or drum loop clip - right click "loop" - the four bar section loops independently. It could be refined with right click "loop 4X" so it loops four times and then stops. Clicking on the clip would also launch the clip. Maybe there is some technicality that I am not seeing?

^^^ not sure but IMO Logic know this

ps. ahamm, not so sophisticated but knows "Loop a region continuously" http://logicpro.skydocu.com/en/create-a ... p-regions/
Last edited by xbitz on Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:28 pm. Maybe there is some technicality that I am not seeing?
the fact that timelines pin events to a point in time?

How do you cater for the fact that a timeline typically follows the time cursor, but only shows a subset of the full duration of events on that timeline. So what happens regarding those loops?

Also, dont forget, clip launchers, are an XxY grid, where one axis (a column, in Live) is channels, and the other (Live its rows) of alternate clips for each of those channels.
How do you represent that, ie multiple alternate, mutually-exclusive loops on a single track on a timeline?
how do you expect to trigger them and switch between them?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

xbitz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm ^^^ not sure but IMO Logic know this

ps. ahamm, not so sophisticated but knows "Loop a region continuously" http://logicpro.skydocu.com/en/create-a ... p-regions/
easily triggered on/off at any point in the timeline? controllable with one click, or midi mappable? capable of easy switching between different clips, one one click?

ie if not, then not really clip launcher.

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:28 pm I have never understood why a clip could not not just be looped on the linear timeline.

Create a track and make a four bar bass or drum loop clip - right click "loop" - the four bar section loops independently. It could be refined with right click "loop 4X" so it loops four times and then stops. Clicking on the clip would also launch the clip. Maybe there is some technicality that I am not seeing?
That's how clip launchers work (incl. your example of loop 4x then stop), but that wouldn't make much sense on a linear timeline, because you actually want to see which parts play where over time. Also, multiple DAWs support looping of clips on a linear timeline - Bitwig, Live, Logic - but it's always visible, i.e. the clip is visibly repeating.
Music tech enthusiast

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:28 pm I have never understood why a clip could not not just be looped on the linear timeline.
Because the linear timeline generally has one playhead for all tracks.

The Clip Launcher has independent playback per track.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm

How do you cater for the fact that a timeline typically follows the time cursor, but only shows a subset of the full duration of events on that timeline. So what happens regarding those loops?

Also, dont forget, clip launchers, are an XxY grid, where one axis (a column, in Live) is channels, and the other (Live its rows) of alternate clips for each of those channels.
How do you represent that, ie multiple alternate, mutually-exclusive loops on a single track on a timeline?
Yes, I see the difficulties. I am just thinking that Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Bandlab Sonar have the ability to click and drag a clip out to repeat as many times as needed and somehow sync together with the rest of the song, so why not save the time of doing that and just loop it in situ?

Now I have put some thought into it I see that is basically what the session view is in Live and Bitwig. Especially so in Bitwig as the arranger timeline cursor keeps moving along as the loops are playing.

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm

Yes, I see the difficulties. I am just thinking that Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Bandlab Sonar have the ability to click and drag a clip out to repeat as many times as needed and somehow sync together with the rest of the song, so why not save the time of doing that and just loop it in situ?
its the difference between making an arrangement in advance, and 'playing it' in on the fly in realtime. different interactions.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm...so why not save the time of doing that and just loop it in situ?
its the difference between making an arrangement in advance, and 'playing it' in on the fly in realtime. different interactions.
@BONES to chime in in 3, 2, 1...
Music tech enthusiast

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 pm
Yes, and "never the twain shall meet" it would appear.

Although Studio One gets pretty close as you can play in stuff on the fly, and copy and delete and drag and drop,while continually recording , and it rarely crashes. Only it did for me last night, and I was only using the onboard synths to compose a song.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”