Cubase - Vst 2 vs 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The only thing that will happen from Steinberg's perspective is that a handful of developers, who only provide VST2 versions of their plugins to even fewer Cubase users, will lose a few sales. :) There's not really any limitation, if devs do VST3, and use the built in sidechain capability.

At least I see that as a non-issue now.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:29 am Perhaps.

But from regular user's perspective there's no difference to the way sidechaining is done with VST2 or VST3 in Bitwig or Studio One, whereas there is in Cubase.

Maybe a more favourable way of framing it would be that Steinberg made it easier for VST3, even though it's still not as easy as it is in Bitwig or S1 for both VST2 and VST3 :)
That's simply Bitwig & S1 being ahead of Cubase in one particular area at a particular time. All DAWs get ahead of others in some areas - it's a cyclical thing. And Steinberg's way of competing with others was to implement sidechaining etc in their own way - nothing to do with Steinberg how others do it. Just because A does B doesn't mean C deliberately did D...that's conflation in extremis. Starting to sound a little conspiracy theorist.

Steinberg do their thing, Bitwig does their thing, S1 does their thing. They might keep a quiet eye on each other but probably not that much. TBH Steinberg have proved over and again that they really don't give a f**k what other companies do. :wink:

Say what!!!
Last two years of Cubendo's support for vst 2...

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... 9561018258

I am definitely not with them on this point.

rsp
sound sculptist

Neither do I but, at least, two years should be time enough for a clever third-party developer to create a suitable VST2 > VST3 bridge, so we can still load legacy VST2 projects in future Cubendo versions.

That exists since a long time already

Yes, I'm aware that there are several bridges that make VST2<>VST3 format conversions. However, AFAIK none of them offers the option of maintaning the plugin ID of the VST2 being wrapped, so they are not useful for loading legacy projects. jBridge does it, but it doesn't support VST3 yet.

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am Say what!!!
Last two years of Cubendo's support for vst 2...

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... 9561018258

I am definitely not with them on this point.

rsp
I told you this was coming some time ago. You didn't believe me. ;)

Well I knew it was coming at some point.. I definitely didn't think in 2 years (my guess was more 5).

rsp
sound sculptist

I didn't believe that it'll be coming that fast either. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more other DAW's will go there as well... it's also interesting that so many devs have released VST3 versions of their plugins in the last few years as well. Coincident, or have they been informed that it's all running out?

Anyway. Can't say that it bothers me.

But there are working wrappers for vst2 to 3 already, whats the beef ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Gotta take a look at how many plugins I actually own which are VST2 only... can't be many.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:14 pm Gotta take a look at how many plugins I actually own which are VST2 only... can't be many.
I don't believe I have any. And I have quite a few.
The only host is Reason. And VST3 is on the roadmap for 2022 AFAIK. Hope AS support hits sooner, though....
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

UAD and SoundToys are for sure those I would miss if they didn't release vst3s.

At least Soundtoys have announced plans to do vst3.. https://www.soundtoys.com/m1-capability/
"Cubase/VST 3

After several months of development our engineering team has recently completed most of the work needed to support VST 3. We currently have internal builds of all of our plug-ins and will begin testing in the next few weeks. We expect that when Cubase 12 is released at some time in 2022, the upcoming Apple Silicon version of Cubase may no longer support VST 2. We can’t confirm a release date for VST 3 support – we expect this release to come after our initial Apple Silicon / ARM release for MacOS.

Please check back here for the latest news on Apple Silicon/ARM and VST 3."
Lord help us with UAD who are probably the most stubborn slow pace of all the major developers.

rsp
sound sculptist

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:14 pm Gotta take a look at how many plugins I actually own which are VST2 only... can't be many.
I don't believe I have any. And I have quite a few.
Yeah, I think it's mostly the magware here.

There's a lot of stuff from Native Instruments that hasn't made the change to vst3 yet.
I also recently got impOSCar2, which I'm loving, and that's still vst2 also.
I wouldn't be surprised if Steinberg comes up with a way to defeat any wrappers.
I'll probably be using another daw in addition to Cubase now, or at least something that can host vst2's.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”