Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

I couldn't disagree with you more..
1.9 preset browser for me was much cleaner and better laid out.
Anyway clearly it is not my call.

XT presets looks like a traffic jam to me.....

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Sentiment noted, but feedback to the change of layout into columns was overwhelmingly positive.

At any rate, we do plan on having a u-he inspired patch browser, but that needs a lot of work. :)

For a u-he inspired patch browser I imagine it must be.

Is there any other browser you can think of that is laid out like XT?
rsp
sound sculptist

I rarely use that menu and just use the quick search myself

Press the magnifying glass (first time will build a database) and then type “bass”

If you have key bindings on ctrl / cmd f does that too

But agree the menu is big. We just didn’t have time to finish a full fledged patch browser

(and of course the menu is big because it has 2500 presets and a bunch of functions! It's just a hard data set to organize. If you are a dev and want to help fix this, we are always welcoming, and lots of the infrastructure for a browser is in place).

If you're looking for a browser to emulate I'd recommend checking out the ones found Rob Papen's synths.

Take Predator 3 for example. I'm viewing it right now and it displays 145 patches at a single glance without the need to scroll or menu dive (as opposed to 70 patches in U-he's Hive for example). P3 displays 35 banks at a glance as well. (at the skin size and monitor resolution I use, not sure if it's different under other conditions)

It also has Order by Date, Find Preset, Search Category, Set Category buttons, Favorites etc. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Does this mean that development on "legacy" Surge is now capped and all new development will be on Surge XT?

Congrats to all the Surge Team for this new XT release. Great job.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

bagpipe200 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm Does this mean that development on "legacy" Surge is now capped and all new development will be on Surge XT?
We kept a single code base with a single history so there's only forward development. We don't plan any updates to 1.9 just like we don't update 1.7 or 1.8

The primary reason for a new ID is moving to JUCE changed the identity of the DAW automation tracks so we didn't want to break everyones surge projects (including ours!) hence new plugin id

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:23 pm If you're looking for a browser to emulate I'd recommend checking out the ones found Rob Papen's synths.

Take Predator 3 for example. I'm viewing it right now and it displays 145 patches at a single glance without the need to scroll or menu dive (as opposed to 70 patches in U-he's Hive for example). P3 displays 35 banks at a glance as well. (at the skin size and monitor resolution I use, not sure if it's different under other conditions)

It also has Order by Date, Find Preset, Search Category, Set Category buttons, Favorites etc. :tu:
Any chance you could drop a screenshot of that here or in our GitHub?

baconpaul wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:49 pm Any chance you could drop a screenshot of that here or in our GitHub?
Sure no problem.... :)

P3 Browser.png
Category Page:

P3 Browser 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thank you for the new release! Will try.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm
baconpaul wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:49 pm Any chance you could drop a screenshot of that here or in our GitHub?
Sure no problem.... :)
IMO - too small font, and I can already see some of the patches we have wouldn't fit in columns that narrow.

But this will all be discussed in great detail in the following year, I'm sure.

I don't find the fonts too small in actual use and my eyes are not the best. There is room for 24 characters not counting the slot numbers. That should be plenty for simple patch names

I'd rather be able to have a large number of patches visible at one glance than have to constantly scroll or menu dive. Menu diving I find particularity time inefficient.

To me the Papen browsers are the most functional in the business but I'm sure others disagree. People tout the U-he browsers as the gold standard but I find them more fluff and blubber than functional even though I love the synths themselves. :shrug:

Anyway just making a suggestion........ :tu:

Return to “Instruments”