Cubase - Vst 2 vs 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah. :) Pretty sure that other DAW's will quickly come with their own implementation. It's a problem though, if virtually all audio interface manufacturers use ASIO. The problem with yet another format/standard/whatever is always the lack of compatibility.

It's always the same.

That's also why there's thousands of Linux distros. Instead of one big one, which could actually be competitive and stable, if enough manpower is put into it.

Although that's pretty hopeless. Too much "I know it better than all the others!" in the Linux "community".

The last year(s) Steinberg:
1) Removed a perfectly fine working 32bit to 64bit vst wrapper. Just take it from the cubase8.5 installation and drop it inside the Cubase11 one. Voila!!! Works absolutely fine! Never caused me any problem.

2) Removing e-licenser causing all versions of cubase that rely on it to not be able to function in the future. They say that this will be possible.. But they say this with the info and status WE have NOW. In a not so distant possible future that you will be required to update your OS for "SECURITY REASONS" by laws that are voted/will be voted to fight "cybercrime"... say goodbye to the e-licensed Cubase and your old full of VST2 projects.

3) Discontinuing VST2 usage inside the future versions of Cubase.

Now can they explain WHY? There are reasons they do all the above. But which ones are the TRUE reasons? There are plugin developers that claim that Windows will follow what Apple is doing at the OS level. I am sure that "stabilitiy" and "what customers wanted" are not cutting it anymore. VST2 plugins are more stable than the VST3 ones over here especially from Acustica which are all over the place in my projects. I have never for once used a VST3 when I had the choice to use a VST2 version of a plugin.

The writing was on the wall when Steinberg ended licensing of the VST2 SDK back in 2018. Keep in mind that move also meant anyone developing a new DAW would be unable to include VST2 support. So if a "newcomer" like Bitwig or Studio One had been released after 2018, it would not have included VST2 support either. Removing VST2 support from their own product actually levels the playing field somewhat for any future newcomer on the DAW market.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:24 pm The writing was on the wall when Steinberg ended licensing of the VST2 SDK back in 2018. Keep in mind that move also meant anyone developing a new DAW would be unable to include VST2 support. So if a "newcomer" like Bitwig or Studio One had been released after 2018, it would not have included VST2 support either.
You said it, they ended licensing of the VST2 SDK in 2018. Every developer signing the contract before that is still able to develop and release VST2's. And make DAW's with VST2 support.

Although it might be a good idea to at least consider developing VST3's now... 2006 was the last year the VST2 SDK was updated, I believe.

Funny that people scream "hooray" when Apple releases a new CPU architecture, rendering anything not native either useless, or only operable with a compatibility layer, but shout "Boooh!" when Steinberg drops VST2 after such a long transition period.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:31 pm
Funny that people scream "hooray" when Apple releases a new CPU architecture, rendering anything not native either useless, or only operable with a compatibility layer, but shout "Boooh!" when Steinberg drops VST2 after such a long transition period.
Its even funnier that you are comparing the richest company on planet earth with tiny little Steinberg and conflating the two.

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:53 pm
Its even funnier that you are comparing the richest company on planet earth with tiny little Steinberg and conflating the two.
Well Steinberg is owned by Yamaha which has 28,000 employees and a revenue of $3.5 billion. Tiny compared to Apple, but it's not some little mom-and-pop operation.

People here do that all the time though, so, why wouldn't I? ;)

Even worse, they compete in a market with only 2 real contenders, which traditionally show a much more "hardball" behavior, when it comes to market share.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:10 pm
Well Steinberg is owned by Yamaha which has 28,000 employees and a revenue of $3.5 billion. Tiny compared to Apple, but it's not some little mom-and-pop operation.
Steinberg is really tiny though. I think 150 to 200 employees, max. I think at least 10 companies in my one-horse town are equally big.

zvenx wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:23 pm I too install both, since some of my 'hosts' (like Komplete Kontrol and Maschine and Reason 11) don't quite work with vst3 yet.
I'm like you. I use Komplete Kontrol quite a bit for VSTs that don't have standalone versions (like the U-He synths). KK is much quicker than opening up a DAW, creating a project, etc. just to play around with a VST.

It bothers me that NI hasn't quite got Komplete Kontrol working with VST3.

It's in the works.. I can say no more.
rsp
sound sculptist

husker37 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:05 pm
zvenx wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:23 pm I too install both, since some of my 'hosts' (like Komplete Kontrol and Maschine and Reason 11) don't quite work with vst3 yet.
I'm like you. I use Komplete Kontrol quite a bit for VSTs that don't have standalone versions (like the U-He synths). KK is much quicker than opening up a DAW, creating a project, etc. just to play around with a VST.
For jamming, it's really nice.

Do people realise what the list of VST2-only plugin looks like?

It is not short at all! I tell you that!

The real big and intriguing question now: is a 'transparent' VST2 to VST3 wrapper available yet?

Cheers,
Cochrane

Metaplugin or Patchwork maybe?

I wonder if you could load a 32bit VST2 from VST3 Metaplugin inside Cubase.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”