How you use clip launcher in your DAW?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

How you use clip launcher in your DAW?

(1) I never touch the arranger time-line, my projects stay in clip launcher
2%
(2) I record, create, edit & play in clip-launcher, only final touches happen on the arranger time-line
14%
(3) I go between both, treating clip launcher like a note pad with ideas to try & maybe use later
32%
(4) I primarily work on linear time-line, only chop & move things to clip launcher for live performance
5%
(5) I never touch the clip launcher
21%
My DAW doesn't have a clip launcher
17%
Fish
10%

Total votes: 133

RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm

the fact that timelines pin events to a point in time?

How do you cater for the fact that a timeline typically follows the time cursor, but only shows a subset of the full duration of events on that timeline. So what happens regarding those loops?

Also, dont forget, clip launchers, are an XxY grid, where one axis (a column, in Live) is channels, and the other (Live its rows) of alternate clips for each of those channels.
How do you represent that, ie multiple alternate, mutually-exclusive loops on a single track on a timeline?
how do you expect to trigger them and switch between them?
Yes, I see the difficulties. I am just thinking that Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Bandlab Sonar have the ability to click and drag a clip out to repeat as many times as needed and somehow sync together with the rest of the song, so why not save the time of doing that and just loop it in situ?

Now I have put some thought into it I see that is basically what the session view is in Live and Bitwig. Especially so in Bitwig as the arranger timeline cursor keeps moving along as the loops are playing.
In Bitwig, you can create a next action for a Clip Launcher clip so when that clip has played the specified amount, it will then go to the linear Arrangement.

What I would like is also a way to trigger a Launcher clip from the linear timeline so it can be sent both directions.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 pmWhat I would like is also a way to trigger a Launcher clip from the linear timeline so it can be sent both directions.
I'd love that! :love:

If this was available, my Arranger would only - or mostly - have triggers, which would make Clip Launcher a central repository of musical ideas. This would also neatly solve my "need" for alias clips, because then changing a clip in one place - Clip Launcher - would change it everywhere it's being triggered! And if I needed variation I'd simply make one in Clip Launcher and trigger it in Arranger where appropriate!!! :o

Thanks for wording it the way you did! It never occured to me this "simple" feature would solve my long-standing "need", although with hindsight it's obvious that it would :) :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

been some interesting stuff for me in here thanks :)
closest ive been to "clip launcher" was early live versions, and that was just audio.
don't think any of my few hosts over the years have had one?

i can see how it could be used "live" to give a track some flow, that can for some people be missing in programmed tracks (not always obvs) whereas this, you get your main programming done, then go by feel to finish up.

or even as actual live performance enhancement of programmed stuff.

always interesting to see new ways people might be working :tu:

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:54 pmWhat I would like is also a way to trigger a Launcher clip from the linear timeline so it can be sent both directions.
I'd love that! :love:

If this was available, my Arranger would only - or mostly - have triggers, which would make Clip Launcher a central repository of musical ideas. This would also neatly solve my "need" for alias clips, because then changing a clip in one place - Clip Launcher - would change it everywhere it's being triggered! And if I needed variation I'd simply make one in Clip Launcher and trigger it in Arranger where appropriate!!! :o

Thanks for wording it the way you did! It never occured to me this "simple" feature would solve my long-standing "need", although with hindsight it's obvious that it would :) :hug:
Yeah, it would be quite helpful... :tu:

Hi,

I usually use the Matrix View in Cakewalk as a rhythm section while I record and improvise in the Track View. So I make a couple of loops (drum and bass) in the Track View them bring them into the Matrix for playback while I record in the Track View.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”