Cubase dropping VST2 support over the next 24 months

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cubase dropping VST2 support over the next 24 months
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... 9561018258

They are really trying to kill VST2, lets see if this works. Or just causes people to drop Cubase.

In foresee my last Cubase upgrade in the next 24 months.

"..if any third-party VST 2 plug-ins are in use and, if so, to contact the corresponding plug-in developers for details on supporting VST 3."
LOL. Steinberg have to try, of course - the number 3 is bigger after all.
I can't wait until VST 4!
:hihi:

This is expected to happen:

1) Steinberg will get a huge shitstorm when their customers won't be able to load their old song-projects with their vst2 plugins.
2) Most Cubase users will refuse update and stick with the last VST2 compatible version
3) People will use wrappers that adapt VST2 to VST3. This will result in more instabilities
4) Steinberg will loose customers, since they will move to other DAWs

I really like Cubase. I hope this doesn’t destroy it. - First prize for tenacity though!
Nobody likes VST3, so they force everybody to use it. Apple gets away with that shit (just), but you’re not Apple.

they already don't issue new VST 2.4 licenses so any new devs cannot support that format. It's a proprietary format and the owner wants it gone, so it's gonna be gone in the next 5 years - the question is whether the general market moves on to VST 3 or something else.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”