Cubase - Vst 2 vs 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sindikhate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:17 pm Do people realise what the list of VST2-only plugin looks like?

It is not short at all! I tell you that!
I have a few, but most were abandonware/shovelware I bought for €3 from PluginBoutique.
Any reputable developer should have a VST3 version ready within the next 24 months. For the others, it's a good time to purge your plugin list of old junk. The transition from 32-bit to 64-bit turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I got rid of so many crappy old Synthedit synths. I imagine this transition will be similarly cathartic.

Cochrane wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:30 pm The real big and intriguing question now: is a 'transparent' VST2 to VST3 wrapper available yet?
Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of. Wusik X42 was close, but it didn't seem very reliable (the demo at least). If only jBridge may add VST3 support... that would be a perfect solution. :pray:

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:08 pm
Sindikhate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:17 pm Do people realise what the list of VST2-only plugin looks like?

It is not short at all! I tell you that!
I have a few, but most were abandonware/shovelware I bought for €3 from PluginBoutique.
Any reputable developer should have a VST3 version ready within the next 24 months. For the others, it's a good time to purge your plugin list of old junk. The transition from 32-bit to 64-bit turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I got rid of so many crappy old Synthedit synths. I imagine this transition will be similarly cathartic.

Major plugins.. not from the 3eu box.

I thought that I barely have any vst2 left (beside NI of course) but then I realized that SoundToys, Kick2, Relab, Kush Audio and even BestService Engine 2 are still vst2-only.
I'm curious if NI will be able to bring GuitarRig6 and Reaktor6 to vst3. I'll be not surprised if SoundToys will bring paid vst3 update. I don't expect others to provide vst3 to their older plugins. It will be fun if Best Service will fail to provide vst3 to Engine2 - not :)

NI is def coming out with VST3 of all their current portfolio.

Copied the list from the SB forum and added a few myself

UAD
Soundtoys
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
A handful of NI ones and even if most current ones get a vst3 Kontakt5 used by many, battery 3, pro 53 and others will probably never get a vst3 version.
Rayzoon Jamstix
Relab LX480
Alitverb (in fact all the AudioEase stuff)
Black Rooster Audio ones
East West Play
ALL the Gforce synths
The Korg collection
Kick2
Kush
Lexicon
U-he stuff (the few VST3 bits are broken for many)
UJAM stuff
SINE player
UVI workstation
VPROM
BFD
XLN (AD1/2/XO etc)
Ivory
Some of the Zynaptiq VST3 plugs are suspect to - the VST2 ones are better
xfer serum lfo tool etc.
reveal spire
lennard sylenth1
synthmaster

Feel free to add more..
Last edited by Sindikhate on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:38 pm NI is def coming out with VST3 of all their current portfolio.
Great :) I can imagine that bringing a giant like Reaktor to a new format must be quite a challenge.

pixel85 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:38 pm NI is def coming out with VST3 of all their current portfolio.
Great :) I can imagine that bringing a giant like Reaktor to a new format must be quite a challenge.
A challenge and a nightmare for the customers.. Kontakt6 vst3 was full of issues. I removed it and went back to vst2. Then I did the same for Massive and a few others.

Cochrane wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:30 pm The real big and intriguing question now: is a 'transparent' VST2 to VST3 wrapper available yet?

Cheers,
Cochrane
I meant:
- no frames or menus in the wrapped plugin window: all the settings done through configuration files (one for every wrapped plugin?)
- VST ID recall support from previously saved projects with previously native supported VST2 plugin inside
- midi out support from wrapped plugin
- transparent automation support in recalled projects
- BONUS: (optional) isolation of wrapped VST2 plugin, so if VST2 plugin crashes, it doesn't take down the whole DAW
- BONUS: 32-to-64 bridge for 32bits' wrapped VST2
- BONUS: an active developer who support debug and fine tuning of wrapper.

This should be the way to go...

Sindikhate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm
A challenge and a nightmare for the customers.. Kontakt6 vst3 was full of issues. I removed it and went back to vst2. Then I did the same for Massive and a few others.
I have no problems with Kontakt6 vst3 or any other NI vst3 plugins. Lucky me ;)

pixel85 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:55 pm
Sindikhate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm
I have no problems with Kontakt6 vst3 or any other NI vst3 plugins. Lucky me ;)
Or maybe you updated lately..
Others are not so lucky! https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Using Google I can find some issue with any plugin.
Have you personally experienced an issue with Kontakt vst3, and if so what?
Rsp
sound sculptist

Vst3 is hardly a new format...

Still prefer vst2 where it possible, by various reasons. The only exclusion, Waves perhaps.

The news that the DAWs will force (?) to abandon (remove) the support of the VST2, it seems to me some kind of abnormality. In the near future, of course, I mean. Need check Steinberg forums what peoples say :D

AnX wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 pm
Vst3 is hardly a new format...
Tell that to NI :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”