fuzz off!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

germanium degrades as far as the electrons make it travel I have been theorised-

but frack me- where does it go?

justin3am wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 am
vurt wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 pm di from there, same as ever :party:
i may have gone a little too far for "snippets" :lol:
These sound fantastic! I'll have to take another look at the Cockfight.
its a pretty good little pedal really, considering on release, they were dirt cheap. no more expensive than a basic big muff. (obviously an additional expression pedal adds to that). but plenty of choice too, has the wah and vocal filter, both of which can be pre or post wah. then there's a range and starve too. so definitely worth looking at imo :tu:

i don't know if there's any sonic difference, but this is the original cockfight stomp pedal, not the cockfight wah, which was later released.

I finished building my original Eurorack distortion/fuzz module, so here's another Fuzz-off entry! Apologies that this one ended up sounding way more heavily-produced in the end. I didn't use that many plugins, honest.

https://soundcloud.com/phaseboundary/imrae-fuzz-off-2

It's actually quite a mild fuzz compared to other entries, but there's a bit of hyper-chaos mixed in, which you can think of as a modulated DC bias. The lead parts are also using the Befaco Rampage as a square-wave-ifier which makes them bright and steady... until they crackle out!

Awesome job imrae, really great stuff! :tu:

I just got both the Fairfield fuzz and the Polarbear Drowner in the mail. The Fairfield unpleasant surprise is instantly my favorite fuzz. :tu: :tu: :tu:

The Drowner is very cool as well, the fuzz is good, though not remarkable imo. It get's pretty interesting when you add the bit crusher and reverb. You can bring your own fuzz or whatever and then crush it. Sadly, I still need to buy an expression pedal to make the most out of it I think.

Off to work on some examples...

imrae wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 pm I finished building my original Eurorack distortion/fuzz module, so here's another Fuzz-off entry! Apologies that this one ended up sounding way more heavily-produced in the end. I didn't use that many plugins, honest.

https://soundcloud.com/phaseboundary/imrae-fuzz-off-2

It's actually quite a mild fuzz compared to other entries, but there's a bit of hyper-chaos mixed in, which you can think of as a modulated DC bias. The lead parts are also using the Befaco Rampage as a square-wave-ifier which makes them bright and steady... until they crackle out!
that was bloody great!!
very nice fuzz too, milder perhaps but still has that "wooly" edge to it,

extra points for diy :party:

pekbro wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:21 pm I just got both the Fairfield fuzz and the Polarbear Drowner in the mail. The Fairfield unpleasant surprise is instantly my favorite fuzz. :tu: :tu: :tu:

The Drowner is very cool as well, the fuzz is good, though not remarkable imo. It get's pretty interesting when you add the bit crusher and reverb. You can bring your own fuzz or whatever and then crush it. Sadly, I still need to buy an expression pedal to make the most out of it I think.

Off to work on some examples...
ooh , look forward to these, the drowner sounds really interesting to me!! (should have known this thread might end up costing me money :lol: )

Here's a quick test run of the Drowner, I really need to get an expression pedal or something, the bit crusher needs modulation. I have serious difficulty trying to play while adjusting the knobs at the same time, with my hands. :dog:

Anyway, some of these pedals may need multiple examples heh. :lol:

drowner test

pekbro wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 am

that's the spirit! :tu:

will listen when i get to the monitors. 8)

I did buy one of these to get some step modulation of stuff in the worx...

pekbro wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 am Here's a quick test run of the Drowner, I really need to get an expression pedal or something, the bit crusher needs modulation. I have serious difficulty trying to play while adjusting the knobs at the same time, with my hands. :dog:

drowner test
:party: yep! thats definitely my kind of toy!!! fuzz plus bitcrush? whats not to love???? :o
and a reverb too!

nice find, id not seen that before you mentioned it either :tu:

pekbro wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:26 pm I did buy one of these to get some step modulation of stuff in the worx...

8) awesome!!

i dont have a dedicated guitar seq, but one of the meris pedals has it built in to the bitcrusher, and it does add something different to guitar imo 8)
i have also used my modular to sequence the bugcrusher, which was cool, but felt excessive :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:27 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:37 am Here's a quick test run of the Drowner, I really need to get an expression pedal or something, the bit crusher needs modulation. I have serious difficulty trying to play while adjusting the knobs at the same time, with my hands. :dog:

drowner test
:party: yep! thats definitely my kind of toy!!! fuzz plus bitcrush? whats not to love???? :o
and a reverb too!

nice find, id not seen that before you mentioned it either :tu:
It's cool, a really nice pedal. The guy ain't screwing around as quality is high. He has sales
occasionally I guess, got it during his blackfriday sale for $200-ish. He's based in Croatia :tu:

im not in purchase zones at the minute, but once im straight again, ill have a look around. otherwise just keep an eye on him for sales :tu:

croation is preferable to american, but only slightly since brexit :cry:
seriously, costs almost as much to get something from 2 bloody hours away, as it does from you or australia!!! ridiculous!!!

Here's the Drowner on the Sequential Pro 3 (mono mode), a factory bass preset.

Starts out dry then: fuzz>reverb>bit crusher>fuzz+rev+bit crush>shimmer. Something to that effect.
You can choose the order of the effects chain, eg fuzz>crush, crush>fuzz, so I do that through each
crush effect. I don't mess with the wet/dry, it's set to about 40% or so.

Anyway, just a chance to hear everything with some knob tweaking. enjoy :D

Drowner Pro 3 test
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Guitars”