New Intel CPUs and DAW performance

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious if the new P & E processor setup in the Intel alder lake chips is going to be a hassle to get running well for a DAW workstation. Windows and many DAWs don't do super well with sorting out core usage and I don't wanna have problems out of the gate. I can live with having the older version chip if it means better stability and it will still be a big step up. I have a build based off the new chip and the old chip, but I have to order tomorrow so I can write it off on my taxes. If anyone has a build running around a new Alder lake processor I'd love to hear how it has been performing so far as well as what saw you use.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I built it after talking to some early adopters. Even if it takes a bit of time to make all my software play nice with the new thread system, I'm sure it'll be fine after a few updates.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:49 am I built it after talking to some early adopters. Even if it takes a bit of time to make all my software play nice with the new thread system, I'm sure it'll be fine after a few updates.
What software do you use?
I'm still waiting for more Ableton Live 11 users to try it out on the new 12th GEN processors before building a new desktop.

I use Cubase (stayed on v9 even though my license is up to date) Bitwig for sound design. Maschine for quick sketching. My parts will be here tomorrow. I have an old Ableton license I could try. Or if there's a demo I'll see how it does if you like. Probably next week before I'm actually built though.

There's also a free 90day trial of Ableton 11 you can download if your license doesn't work for Live 11.
I hope your new computer works well and is fast.

Update from Scan on DDR5 memory.

https://youtu.be/IaYMRvctZNU

arrakeen wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:52 pm Update from Scan on DDR5 memory.

https://youtu.be/IaYMRvctZNU
Useful info thanks

Here's someone else who is doing well with a 12th GEN processor.
https://www.presetpatch.com/articles/Be ... ci-Resolve

Everything is running great. Definitely kicks my old system's buns.

12900k is an amazing DAW performer.
It bests the 5950x in both single-core and multi-core performance.
You can do things like run Helix Native at 1ms total round-trip latency (zero glitches)... if your audio interface allows
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Switched from a 10900KF to a 12900K. Ableton live reports 32 percent when my default project is idle. buffer size 64 samples, 5ms latency.

On the 10th gen it was 24 percent, but with a buffer size of 128 and 7.5 ms latency.

(same cooling, ddr4 ram and peripherals)

I've yet to do some more real-world stress testing. In practice the difference doesn't seem as big as benchmarks etc made me expect. But i also think i kinda won the 'silicon lottery' with that particular 10900KF.

maybe it's the tradeoff between 2 performance cores vs 8 efficiency cores, but the 12 seems to get a lot hotter on all-core stress tests

i suspect currently Live doesn't know the difference between E and P-cores, or maybe just uses the P ones?

But honestly both these i9's shred. It takes a lot of vst's, tracks and realtime I/O to even make a bit of a dent.

curious about the rumored win11 performance improvement, but i don't dare test the waters yet.

Windows 11 does have big.Little cpu architecture optimisations. And so far Windows 11 has been better with Intel. Definately worth checking out. I am also planning to upgrade to 12700K with windows 11 because of the optimisations.

The 12900k needs robust cooling.
If you used a NH-U14s with the 10900k, it's not enough for the 12900k.

With proper configuration, you can run Cinebench and see the 12900k mops the floor with the 10900k (both single and multi-core performance).
The 12900k bests the 5950x... both single and multi-core performance.

The latest AMD and Intel CPUs have rapid/substantial temperature changes (under load).
It's more complex (vs. 10900k) to get the build extremely quiet.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Noctua NH-D15 should be ok it seems
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”