Audio interface with solid drivers/software that doesn't break the bank?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sQeetz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:59 pmI have a Scarlett 4i4 fixed for "desktop use" and a 2i2 for when I need to record stuff on the go and I can't praise them enough. Solid as solid can get...
Which gen? I had a 1st gen 2i2 and it is probably the least favourite of all the interfaces I've used. I could never get decent latency from it and it was quite noisy.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

It might have been worth it 10-15 years ago but there is absolutely no way to justify that kind of expense in 2022. I've never had the slightest problem recording anything with even the cheapest I/O devices, all the way back to Windows 98SE on a single-core Pentium CPU. Acceptable latency and ultra-reliable performance is the norm, not the exception, so there is simply no need to spend more money on your interface than your computer any more. And, to be clear, an RME Babyface Pro sells for about $200-$400 more than I paid for my current laptop. Even a second-hand one for around $500 doesn't offer anything to justify that price when I can get a Scarlett 2i2 or a Steinberg UR22C for around $260.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 am
sQeetz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:59 pmI have a Scarlett 4i4 fixed for "desktop use" and a 2i2 for when I need to record stuff on the go and I can't praise them enough. Solid as solid can get...
Which gen? I had a 1st gen 2i2 and it is probably the least favourite of all the interfaces I've used. I could never get decent latency from it and it was quite noisy.
3rd Gen. It’s class compliant. So, at least on the Mac (and on the iPad), you don’t need any drivers and since it’s USB C you don’t need adapters. You just plug it in and it works. I can get it as low as 32 samples with no issues(*), but 256 is the sweet spot for me. :)
I can say that I have a fairly nice setup and even turning every knob on my mixer up, the Scarlett is simply just quiet. No noise. Focusrite must have made some drastic changes from Gen 1 to Gen 3.
I had a Dell XPS once which had terrible coil while. Tried different sound interfaces thinking that that was the problem, but it was the notebook leaking interference all over the place.

(*) apart of course from the CPU hit involved, but it can handle a couple of Knifoniums before choking
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

They say the later gens are much better so maybe they aren't lying?

newjunkcity wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:39 pm It's worth noting that when it comes to drivers for Windows, many manufacturer have decided to outsource to Thesycon, whom rebrand their generic ASIO implementation.

Most of the cheaper interfaces I've tried all use this, specifically (so far) I've seen:
  • SSL 2+ and SSL 2
  • Behringer UMC204HD and UMC202HD
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and 2i2
You can check this by looking at the details tab of the driver file itself (.sys):
  • File Description: TUSBAudio Kernel Streaming Driver
  • Original filename: "tusbaudioks.sys"
This tool is massively useful for finding the driver files: DriverStoreExplorer
Thanks for linking to this - I'm not sure if using it to remove a few old drivers I forgot were even on there did the trick, or some other troubleshooting steps I tried, but after an even more detailed troubleshooting process and doing a complete uninstall/reinstall of the drivers an additional time, the bitcrush noise is gone and everything sounds fine again! I will have to do some more in-depth DAW testing to make sure it stays that way when under a heavier load, but I may be able to put off getting another interface for now. Nonetheless, thanks everyone for your suggestions!

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 am They say the later gens are much better so maybe they aren't lying?
They are not. Like I said, I have two of 'em and both are equally nice. At least on my setup....
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

ztrauq wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:09 am
newjunkcity wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:39 pm It's worth noting that when it comes to drivers for Windows, many manufacturer have decided to outsource to Thesycon, whom rebrand their generic ASIO implementation.

Most of the cheaper interfaces I've tried all use this, specifically (so far) I've seen:
  • SSL 2+ and SSL 2
  • Behringer UMC204HD and UMC202HD
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and 2i2
You can check this by looking at the details tab of the driver file itself (.sys):
  • File Description: TUSBAudio Kernel Streaming Driver
  • Original filename: "tusbaudioks.sys"
This tool is massively useful for finding the driver files: DriverStoreExplorer
Thanks for linking to this - I'm not sure if using it to remove a few old drivers I forgot were even on there did the trick, or some other troubleshooting steps I tried, but after an even more detailed troubleshooting process and doing a complete uninstall/reinstall of the drivers an additional time, the bitcrush noise is gone and everything sounds fine again! I will have to do some more in-depth DAW testing to make sure it stays that way when under a heavier load, but I may be able to put off getting another interface for now. Nonetheless, thanks everyone for your suggestions!
That's great news!

I presume you mean that you used DriverStoreExplorer to remove some old/unused drivers from your system. Driver conflicts on Windows are a real issue (although admittedly they used to be a lot worse than they are now, with Microsoft implementing 'user-mode' drivers in Vista, and retro-adding them to XP. Faults with the older style 'kernel-mode' drivers would often blue screen your machine).
It's very likely you had a driver conflict if removing some old drivers seems to have solved the issue.

Great to hear that things seem to be working better! Let us know if it holds.

I would buy Presonus if I'm using S1 and Steinberg UR with Cubase. Other than that I have a very good experience with the latest Tascam. (I have Presonus iTwo and Tascam US-4x4 HR). iTwo has lower latency with S1 though!

Presonus is my preferred audio interface as it was the only one that shielded well, so I had no floor/buzz noise when putting it beside the PC or/and monitor and other electric devices. I still have a problem with noise from my Yamaha MODX audio interface. I also had to put my Tascam about one metre from other electric devices. But if you use only headphones, then it might be ok.

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am Smaller UR are class compliant anyway.
I'm confused now. Does that mean you can just plug & play them? What about ASIO driver? How do you set up the buffer size? With the Yamaha driver, I have a control panel application where I can set up sample rate and buffer size. I don't know how I'm supposed to do that when the thing isn't installed.

Maybe you mean when you connect it to a Mac or an iPad or similar?

I have to +1 the distrust for Audient. I have an ID4 that for some reason just has more hissy fits than some of the people on here.

It just restarts on its own, changes Sample rate, clicks on and off, as Bones said, its so random. The latest drivers are unusable, so I am using the original ones that came with the unit, they've revised the drivers about 4 times since then and they just don't work. I have the latest firmware but they are a clueless company when it comes to drivers.

Don't get me wrong, when the unit is working its fine, good latency, the preamp is really nice, but the unit is just not trustworthy. I will replace it eventually.

The Steinberg one I bought, the cheapest one, 1 in 1 out IIRC was not balanced outputs, so I had unreal noise through the speakers, I had to RMA that instantly load of rubbish.

You get what you pay for tbh, I am looking at the new UAD Volt 76 tbh, but i'll hang back for a while and see what else goes on offer.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:34 pm I'm confused now. Does that mean you can just plug & play them? What about ASIO driver? How do you set up the buffer size? With the Yamaha driver, I have a control panel application where I can set up sample rate and buffer size. I don't know how I'm supposed to do that when the thing isn't installed.

:oops: no clue.
in generally yes, class complaint device don't need drivers on mac and ipad/iphone, they work via core audio.
doesn't windows also have their own variant of "coreaudio" (i think they even called it that) since v10 i think?

ive had the UR22v2 for 3-4 years or so. its been online almost ever since, used as daily driver. never once had i had a single jiff with a driver, reboot, crash, etc. Lucky unit? possible. in any case, the drivers work perfectly, and you get a nice control panel item aswell, that you can use for on the fly changes like sample rate and latency. (useful when wanting to listen to bit-perfect music using an asio driver) or, you can use your daw/software for this; it will take control. it also has a great windows driver that lets you run it natively in windows as your daily driver for all audio.
and for the price of something like 150 euro for a 192k/32bit interface; id more than happily pay for the slightly noisy inputs on the front. which i rarely use anyway. if youre recording lots of things, maybe opt for some better preamps and inputs. UR22 is noisiest in its class. but that noise is still pretty negligible and doable.
its worth running it at a steady 5v dc supply tho - and not using USB power. and since it has this option on the back (dc/usb) i always run it from the dc. any phone charger works. this also helps a bit with noise and electrical interference.

Another :tu: for UR series from me. UR22 mkii. Not a single hiccup with it. Plug it in and it just works. Pretty solid build and doesn't break the bank - If you want more in/outs it doesn't cost that much for the bigger models. TBH you have to be pretty obsessional or do it for a living to go for the silly money with things like RME, as many of the cheaper units are so decent and it's rare for drivers to be an issue.

I used to have a pretty pricey 10 in/out jobbie years ago that cost me a fortune, and...don't think it actually gave me that much extra value apart from the extra jacks. Was wasted money if I'm honest. And boutique companies are more likely to go tits up than the big boys (which mine did) meaning no more drivers for new OSs. Had to bin it, probably worth a couple of grand in today's money. You can only work on yesterday's OS for so long...whereas I can't really see Yamaha suddenly disappearing
Last edited by kritikon on Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:38 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:34 pm I'm confused now. Does that mean you can just plug & play them? What about ASIO driver? How do you set up the buffer size? With the Yamaha driver, I have a control panel application where I can set up sample rate and buffer size. I don't know how I'm supposed to do that when the thing isn't installed.

:oops: no clue.
in generally yes, class complaint device don't need drivers on mac and ipad/iphone, they work via core audio.
doesn't windows also have their own variant of "coreaudio" (i think they even called it that) since v10 i think?
Yeah, Windows has Windows Audio/WASAPI. I never tried it with the UR22 mk2, but, I tried it with my internal sound card a few times. Worked, but, I think ASIO4ALL gave less crackles on lower buffer sizes.

I could have tried it with the UR22 mk2, but, never saw the point with the Yamaha driver and ASIO.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”