Steinberg Discontinuing VST2 Support in its products

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:50 pm That's what compatibility usually is, yes. Interfaces which support it.
Yeah, that's exactly why you saying so is tautology.
But, you already know that anyway. You just disagree for the sake of it. Doesn't even have to make sense.
Ah, your various little ad hominems again. You always get there in the end, well done.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm :lol:

"Over-inflated ego" - yep, totally.
Yup, this is how you always behave once you know you've lost the argument.

So is u-he and Tone2 dropping support for VST?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:57 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm :lol:

"Over-inflated ego" - yep, totally.
Yup, this is how you always behave once you know you've lost the argument.
It's actually the way YOU always behave in an argument. Because you can't argue without being abusive. ;) Which shows what kind of a person you are. And how weak your actual argumentation is, if you feel the need to get abusive the whole time.

Unfortunate, because, I really thought we had a discussion here. Until the elephant stomped in. Well, some people really can't discuss.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:14 pm It's actually the way YOU always behave in an argument. Because you can't argue without being abusive. ;) Which shows what kind of a person you are. And how weak your actual argumentation is.
Says the guy desparately digging his little hole deeper, instead of actual argumentation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:17 pm Unfortunate, because, I really thought we had a discussion here. Until the elephant stomped in. Well, some people really can't discuss.
Ah, the 'pesky kids' argument. But you were still Old Man Bollocks-talker all along.

Last edited by whyterabbyt on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're only a true KVRian when this happened to you at least once:
KVRist.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pm You're only a true KVRian when this happened to you at least once:

KVRist.jpg
What's your actual point there? That you responded to me just as many times in the exact same timeframe ? That you posted twice as much as that in this one thread before I even responded to you? That you resort to childishness when you cant win an argument?

Or all of the above?

Honestly - I do not care too much for dropping VST2 support in 24 months. Let's get get real here. This is announced two whole years before support is dropped. If developers don't see a chance to make their plugins VST3 compatible in TWO WHOLE YEARS, I seriously doubt the quality of their plugins, because they do seem to have a serous lack of skills!

And why would Steinberg keep supporting an outdated format anyway? They did already do that for longer than expected, and it surprised me that they even waited this long before dropping it all together. It's not that there are no alternatives. Besides the VST3 format, there are enough other formats that can be used and there are also a few good quality wrappers if needed.

And on top of that - Steinberg announced they stop support. They did not say that VST2 is going to stop functioning within two years, so VST2 probably is still going to function for a long time. Granted - If Microsoft or Apple come with another "brilliant" update that let all VST2 stuff stop functioning in their OS, the developers and users of those plugins are in trouble, but it's not that they would be caught by surprise.

So - At the end I think it's not such a big deal. And, honestly, when those two years have passed I would be VERY reluctant to buy anything from developers that still cling to VST2, and thus show they cannot get their stuff right even after two years of development. I would seriously doubt their knowledge and expertise more than enough to avoid them.

Just my humble opinion on this matter.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:41 pm
Sindikhate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:07 pm ClAp probably does not even have 100 lines of code yet? :P
Why dont you head over to the repository and count them, instead of making assumptions?

https://github.com/free-audio
Well what do I know!!! That is great news :)

I would back anything U-He

jclosed wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm And on top of that - Steinberg announced they stop support. They did not say that VST2 is going to stop functioning within two years
but that's basically what Steinberg want, though; they're trying to completely prevent people from developing in the VST2 format:
some guy on page 1, apologies for not copying the name wrote:Steinberg has made it clear that they don’t just want to drop VST2 support from their own products. They want the entire ecosystem of VST2 software to go away. They’ve made all kinds of legal threats against VST2 compatibility projects and really anything that uses the name “VST” in a way that they haven’t approved through the SDK license agreement, such as websites that host plugins. They’ve even taken over a few of those in recent months. And last spring they tried that stunt with the clause in the VST3 SDK terms of use that revoked VST2 licenses.
Lets be clear here; the plugin industry pretty much exists as it does because of VST2. But if Steinberg had been doing then for VST2 what they are trying now wrt VST3, we probably would already have an alternate format.

I find it bizarre that no one mentions that almost everyone wants to create their own ecosystem.

UAD with Luna, U-He/Bitwig and whoever else are doing their own thing, sample library companies try to move away from Kontakt by making their own players (Spitfire, 8dio, Orchestral Tools, Cinebrass and whoever else). Steinberg is forcing things, Avid/Digi always had their own world... But the current shift seems to be towards working alone rather than working together in a way. Many developers are boosting their legal teams as we speak so the future does not look very good from where I stand at least.

Sindikhate wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:43 pm I find it bizarre that no one mentions that almost everyone wants to create their own ecosystem.
Not everyone is trying to create a closed ecosystem, though.
UAD with Luna, U-He/Bitwig and whoever else are doing their own thing, sample library companies try to move away from Kontakt by making their own players (Spitfire, 8dio, Orchestral Tools, Cinebrass and whoever else). Steinberg is forcing things, Avid/Digi always had their own world... But the current shift seems to be towards working alone rather than working together in a way. Many developers are boosting their legal teams as we speak so the future does not look very good from where I stand at least.
That's always going to be a thing where your competition controls a key part of the ecosystem you need to use. The solution, which works elsewhere, is genuinely open protocols. Most of those protocols do originate from a single company, but they share, properly. For example, in the 3D software industry, Alembic, USD and, most recently, MaterialX...

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 am Not a very smart move by Steinberg. This is what will happen:

1) Steinberg will get a huge shitstorm when their customers won't be able to load their old song-projects containing vst2 plugins
2) Most Cubase users will refuse update and stick with the last VST2 compatible version
3) People will use wrappers that adapt VST2 to VST3. This will result in more instabilities
4) Steinberg will loose customers, since they will move to other DAWs
I totally agree. I still have some vst2 plugs that will definitely not be adapted to vst3 anymore. That means either two DAW'2 or away from Cubase. Steinberg would have to release a mega update that would make me update to 12. I don't miss vst3 but I can well imagine that the power users and producers have been waiting for it. For example, I have the Spectral plugin from LinPlug and also the plugins from PPG. I don't want to miss them.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”