Steinberg Discontinuing VST2 Support in its products

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apple has done way more dropping of established/well used industry standards and I am pretty sure they haven't suffered... as a matter of fact they have grown from strength to strength.
rsp
sound sculptist

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 pmThe solution, which works elsewhere, is genuinely open protocols. Most of those protocols do originate from a single company, but they share, properly. For example, in the 3D software industry, Alembic, USD and, most recently, MaterialX...
Isn't that what CLAP is supposed to be? It's backed by U-He, Bitwig etc., but it's open source.

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:00 pmI won’t buy a plugin that still supports 32-bit, and I won’t buy a plugin that supports fringe/hobbyist formats like the clap format either. The reason is simple: that developer is wasting extremely limited resources that otherwise could have gone to updates and support of the viable professional formats that matter.
I take it then you don't currently own any u-he plugins or if you do, you intend to sell them.

U-he is supporting CLAP and they are stating it will actually be less work for them.

This is so stupid, f*** Steinberg, I hope CLAP takes off.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:32 pm What's delusional is for you to think that you have more insight into this than actual developers.
Plus one of things u-he said was that they will benefit from CLAP regardless of how many companies adopt it.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:43 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 pm In the end, though, what matters is that VST is the format which every DAW uses
except it isnt.
Yup... Logic doesn't use it. Neither does Pro Tools.

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:45 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 pm And CLAP is being developed with the intention of being a viable professional format. One that isnt subject to the whims of a single company.
That’s not true. It’s just subject to the whims of u-he instead of Steinberg.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
Well, for starters, CLAPs license is MIT: https://github.com/free-audio/clap/blob/main/LICENSE

Very far from the "sign in" and "hold you by the neck" license from Steinberg: https://developer.steinberg.help/pages/ ... eement.pdf

To be fair, there is the VST3 GPL3 alternative license. But then if you use GPL, you'll have to open source your code. Good luck selling your plugins with that.
Last edited by S0lo on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:45 pm That’s not true. It’s just subject to the whims of u-he instead of Steinberg.
You are just making stuff up. U-he will not be controlling CLAP.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 pm
jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:00 pmI won’t buy a plugin that still supports 32-bit, and I won’t buy a plugin that supports fringe/hobbyist formats like the clap format either. The reason is simple: that developer is wasting extremely limited resources that otherwise could have gone to updates and support of the viable professional formats that matter.
I take it then you don't currently own any u-he plugins or if you do, you intend to sell them.

U-he is supporting CLAP and they are stating it will actually be less work for them.
Isn’t adding a new format technically more work?

chk071 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:46 pm Well... I surely wouldn't want to keep devs off from a lot of extra work for yet another standard, if that's what you mean.
U-he has stated that supporting CLAP will mean less development work for them.

Perhaps you should read up about it before declaring a bunch of stuff. Up to you of course.

S0lo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:30 pm ....
Very far from the "sign in" and "hold you by the neck" license from Steinberg: https://developer.steinberg.help/pages/ ... eement.pdf

I have seen people 'hint' that there is a cost involved for licensing use of vst3.

It is, as I understood it from before:
§ 4 FEES AND ROYALTIES
This license is non-royalty bearing and the Licensee shall not obligate to pay to Steinberg any fees or
royalties with respect to the VST 3 Plug-In Interface technology or use of the trademarks as set out in §3
I also am curious to those developers who find the Licensing Agreement with Steinberg onerous, if they would be willing to use a similar EULA like the MIT one for the plugins they sell to us users.

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Isn’t adding a new format technically more work?
Urs explained about it in the CLAP thread in the u-he forum. Better to read his words directly than me do a bad job paraphrasing :hihi:

So those doing VST2 and VST3 and then adopting CLAP, will they be releasing just VST3 and CLAP or just CLAP ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm Isn’t adding a new format technically more work?
Depends on the format. If you modify a VST2 plugin to support CLAP, you can get it working in a day or two. If you instead want to modify it to support VST3, it could take you over a year.
I hate signatures too.

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:45 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm Isn’t adding a new format technically more work?
Depends on the format. If you modify a VST2 plugin to support CLAP, you can get it working in a day or two. If you instead want to modify it to support VST3, it could take you over a year.
Based on?
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”