Single DAW feature that made your jaw drop?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK but still, I don't recall any kind of magical experience when I got my Fostex 4-track cassette. In fact, it's main use became loading new songs into my QX-7 sequencer from Tracks 1+2 while it provided backing for another song in 3+4. It was a real life-saver as I could only get 4 or 5 songs into the QX-7 at a time and it took around 90 seconds to reload from tape. So instead of having to have two or three long breaks in the set, I could do another song while it reloaded.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

ACID 1.0 - the whole integrated immediacy of drag and drop loop, tempo pitch etc. A brilliantly conceived and executed DAW that had musicality front and centre

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 am OK but still, I don't recall any kind of magical experience when I got my Fostex 4-track cassette.
Did someone ask if you did?
Have you tried Vital?

Indirectly, yes. What's it to you?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 am ACID 1.0 - the whole integrated immediacy of drag and drop loop, tempo pitch etc. A brilliantly conceived and executed DAW that had musicality front and centre
This one?

https://www.magix.com/int/music/acid/acid-pro/#c1204707

I tried v10.5 few weeks back and it was pretty attrocious. Can't imagine what it was like at v1, but I can also understand those were simpler times and for me FastTracker was mindblowing around 1999 ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:46 am Indirectly, yes. What's it to you?
No, no one did indirectly or otherwise.

Regardless, it means absolutely nothing to anyone.
Have you tried Vital?

Importing Ableton projects into Bitwig is a nice one and actually works quite well

Non-destructible level writing on audio clips in Nuendo, made my life so much easier for dialogue editing. Also their offline processing where I could apply RX plugins easily with an undo option. But it was buggy sometimes when transfering project between computers.

Psuper wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 pm
BONES wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:46 am Indirectly, yes. What's it to you?
No, no one did indirectly or otherwise.

Regardless, it means absolutely nothing to anyone.
Chill out man

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:08 am ACID 1.0 - the whole integrated immediacy of drag and drop loop, tempo pitch etc. A brilliantly conceived and executed DAW that had musicality front and centre
This one?

https://www.magix.com/int/music/acid/acid-pro/#c1204707

I tried v10.5 few weeks back and it was pretty attrocious. Can't imagine what it was like at v1, but I can also understand those were simpler times and for me FastTracker was mindblowing around 1999 ;)
Actually, you can :) Evolution of Acid died after Sonic Foundry sold it to Sony in 2003. From that time it just got bare-bones updates (like new plugin formats + very basic GUI update just recently).
Similar to the 'evolution' of Cool Edit Pro to Audacity, after Adobe took it. Did they even do anything new besides updated GUI? My last contact with Audacity, 3 years ago, gave me a flashback to the 90s with its archaic UX :D

Being able to record more than 1 track.

For years all I had was a single tape recorder.
Free MIDI plugins and other stuff:
https://jstuff.wordpress.com
"MIDI 2.0 is an extension of MIDI 1.0. It does not replace MIDI 1.0(...)"

My jaw dropping music/computer experiences came from midi sequencers - a bit before DAW's came on the scene.

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:49 am OK but still, I don't recall any kind of magical experience when I got my Fostex 4-track cassette.....
Because you have no passion for music?

My first DAW was a razor blade, magnetic tape, and a score (I once 'cut' a symphonic performance of Beethoven's 9th to fit a documentary film). When things went digital, I was an early adopter but still want hands-on engagement, so I prefer a DAW like MuLab that can expose everything.

Jaw-dropping is the MuLab audio sequencer and how an edited sequence with markers is instantly available in all the sampler, synth and drum devices. It multiplies what you can quickly do with one sound.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Psuper wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 pmNo, no one did indirectly or otherwise.
Of course they f**king did, it's in the title of the thread.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”