Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Wotja 22 Pro Wotja: Generative Music System

I found one more Wotja gotcha. If you load two instances of Wotja in the same DAW, trying to open a mix in the first instance actually opens the mix in the second instance. If you load more than two instances, the mix always opens in the last added instance, no matter which instance you use to open a mix.

@ValliSoftware
I don't have the Mac version and I'm not at my PC right now, but have you tried Help Menu - - Show Wotja Data Folder? I think flows are stored as randomisation presets so .wotjarp files.

UPDATE: I'm at my PC now and I cannot find the flow files either (I know you are on Mac). So maybe wait for Pete to answer.
Last edited by ZincT on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

I was able to get Wotja to work on a Unify midi effects layer if I added midi polysher (https://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html) right after Wotja on the Midi effect layer. Unify does not like whatever Wotja is outputting, but polysher seems to make it more palatable. I inserted a midi monitor before and after polysher and I noticed two changes. The first is that polysher set the velocity of all note off messages to 0 while the velocity Wotja's note off messages are 127. The second is that polysher's time stamps seem more "normalized" while Wotjas are all over the place. I am not sure why, but polysher's time stamps are smaller than that Wotja's for the same midi messages.

courtjestr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:34 am I found one more Wotja gotcha. If you load two instances of Wotja in the same DAW, trying to open a mix in the first instance actually opens the mix in the second instance. If you load more than two instances, the mix always opens in the last added instance, no matter which instance you use to open a mix.
Interesting, when I add a second instance of Wotja to Cakewalk it immediately pegs out at max volume on both tracks. That's without any mix playing. Which DAW were you using? I'll let Pete know.
courtjestr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 am I was able to get Wotja to work on a Unify midi effects layer if I added midi polysher (https://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html) right after Wotja on the Midi effect layer. Unify does not like whatever Wotja is outputting, but polysher seems to make it more palatable. I inserted a midi monitor before and after polysher and I noticed two changes. The first is that polysher set the velocity of all note off messages to 0 while the velocity Wotja's note off messages are 127. The second is that polysher's time stamps seem more "normalized" while Wotjas are all over the place. I am not sure why, but polysher's time stamps are smaller than that Wotja's for the same midi messages.
Good find thanks, I'll give it a go :tu: I also noticed the velocity value of 127 for note off messages from Wotja which is different to, say, Scaler 2 or InstaComposer.

UPDATE: Yes, MIDI Polysher also works here to "clean up" the MIDI when using Wotja on a separate MIDI layer. It makes a lot more sense to use Wotja like this in Unify as you can have all manner of different instruments loaded on each layer and Wotja driving each instrument layer separately from different MIDI channels. Could be the basis of a live ambient setup for example :party:

courtjestr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:34 am I found one more Wotja gotcha. If you load two instances of Wotja in the same DAW, trying to open a mix in the first instance actually opens the mix in the second instance. If you load more than two instances, the mix always opens in the last added instance, no matter which instance you use to open a mix.
Hi!

Never try to use multiple instances of Wotja AUv3 or VST3. The Wotja Plug-in instances will inevitably crash at some point, as the instances interfere with each other! :)

Sorry if this wasn't clear in the documentation!

Best wishes, Pete

ValliSoftware wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:56 am Does anyone know where these Wotja 22 Pro Flow documents are stored on a Mac OSX System.
Wotja 22 Pro Flow Documents.png
Hi! They're all built-in to the application.

If you want to save one of these yourself:
- Settings - select Randomization segment control item
- Press the "open" icon on the left of the toolbar immediately below the segment control
- scroll down to the item you want, and select it - this is now what is used for all random mixes and albums until you next change it
- Press the "down arrow" icon on the right of the toolbar immediately below the segment control
- Select Save As from the pop-up menu - it will now appear in the file system, in your Wotja Data folder

Best wishes, Pete

ZincT wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am
Interesting, when I add a second instance of Wotja to Cakewalk it immediately pegs out at max volume on both tracks. That's without any mix playing. Which DAW were you using? I'll let Pete know.
courtjestr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 am I was able to get Wotja to work on a Unify midi effects layer if I added midi polysher (https://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html) right after Wotja on the Midi effect layer. Unify does not like whatever Wotja is outputting, but polysher seems to make it more palatable. I inserted a midi monitor before and after polysher and I noticed two changes. The first is that polysher set the velocity of all note off messages to 0 while the velocity Wotja's note off messages are 127. The second is that polysher's time stamps seem more "normalized" while Wotjas are all over the place. I am not sure why, but polysher's time stamps are smaller than that Wotja's for the same midi messages.
Good find thanks, I'll give it a go :tu: I also noticed the velocity value of 127 for note off messages from Wotja which is different to, say, Scaler 2 or InstaComposer.

UPDATE: Yes, MIDI Polysher also works here to "clean up" the MIDI when using Wotja on a separate MIDI layer. It makes a lot more sense to use Wotja like this in Unify as you can have all manner of different instruments loaded on each layer and Wotja driving each instrument layer separately from different MIDI channels. Could be the basis of a live ambient setup for example :party:
is this happening in the version with the fix for the MIDI output problem in Waveform?

if so, it sounds like there may be more cleanup in the MIDI msgs that needs to be done, and possibly this explains why pete was still seeing issues when the experimental engine in Waveform was enabled?

the problem when using the experimental engine in Waveform concerns me since that is the default suggested configuration, and the way I use Waveform, and I wonder if this is indicating a reason.

JamminFool wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 am
is this happening in the version with the fix for the MIDI output problem in Waveform?

if so, it sounds like there may be more cleanup in the MIDI msgs that needs to be done, and possibly this explains why pete was still seeing issues when the experimental engine in Waveform was enabled?

the problem when using the experimental engine in Waveform concerns me since that is the default suggested configuration, and the way I use Waveform, and I wonder if this is indicating a reason.
Yes, it's happening with beta 22.0.11 so might be the same thing.

ZincT wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:44 am

Yes, it's happening with beta 22.0.11 so might be the same thing.
I've had some ideas on this, when looking at issues on iOS this morning (just finishing-off the 22.0.11 release)

If I make changes in here, they'll be in next 22.0.12 beta (or later!)

Pete

ZincT wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am Could be the basis of a live ambient setup for example :party:
Wotja (and Noatikl and Koan before it) has been used for some *amazing* live installations:

https://timothydidymus.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/noatikl/status/524860816655650816

https://www.youtube.com/user/KoanDarkSymphony

Just a couple that sprang to mind, anyhow!

Pete

impete wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:50 am
I've had some ideas on this, when looking at issues on iOS this morning (just finishing-off the 22.0.11 release)

If I make changes in here, they'll be in next 22.0.12 beta (or later!)

Pete
Understood, thanks Pete :tu:
impete wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:56 am
ZincT wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am Could be the basis of a live ambient setup for example :party:
Wotja (and Noatikl and Koan before it) has been used for some *amazing* live installations:

https://timothydidymus.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/noatikl/status/524860816655650816

https://www.youtube.com/user/KoanDarkSymphony

Just a couple that sprang to mind, anyhow!

Pete
Great stuff, thanks for the links!

Hi folks,

We've just submitted Wotja 22.0.11 for app store review.

Change notes:
Wotja 22.0.11

FIXED (Windows): MIDI routing issue on Tracktion Waveform Pro.
IMPROVED: MIDI Output latency default value is now 10 ms (was: 100 ms).
IMPROVED: MIDI Output latency minimum value is now zero (was: 10 ms).
IMPROVED: Plug-in scanning is faster as Wotja AUv3/VST3 is no longer scanned.
IMPROVED (Windows): VST3 Plug-in scanning for a number of Plug-ins, including “Simple Concept.vst3”.
FIXED (macOS): Note hanging issue seen in Logic when driving internal synth via Virtual MIDI and stopping playback
I'd be interested to hear if any more VST3 plug-ins "pass" scanning with this update.

NB: by far the most crashes I've seen, from crash logs for earlier versions, are from Union.vst3 ...!

Best wishes, Pete

I received 22.0.10 from the Microsoft Store yesterday. Seems a bit more stable than 22.0.9 was in Cakewalk.

Much improved! Thanks!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

ZincT wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:47 pm I have been testing beta 11 and the good news is that Studio One now works when routing MIDI from the Wotja plugin to a virtual instrument on another track. Maybe the fixes for Tracktion also helped with Studio One but either way stellar work Pete :tu:

I have also included results for Tracktion Waveform 11.
@ZincT

Looks good! Sounds like the Studio One routing issue is solved! Thanks! :tu:

Just saw that Pete has submitted 22.0.11 for review. Will keep a lookout for the update in the MS Store!

I have the MIDI working in Waveform using Wotja 22.0.10, as long as the experimental engine is "off".

As soon as I turn the experimental engine back "on", no MIDI.

Return to “Instruments”