Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
megadude
KVRist
Topic Starter
212 posts since 28 Aug, 2008

Post Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 pm

I'm running the second to latest version of Logic Pro on Big Sur on a souped-up 2020 Imac. It was running great until about two weeks ago. First, sometimes when rendering files it would produce insane levels of distortion-the mp3s would just be messed up. Second, it would lag when importing them into the itunes/music player. More recently, Logic Pro has crashed a few times, and two of the crashes triggered a full reboot of the computer (not initiated by me, it did it on its own.) Everything has been pretty stable up till now, and I haven't recently downloaded anything weird.

So here's the noob question... what are the basic cleanup procedures I should be doing in light of these crashes?
Why'd you slice off my hand?

jancivil
KVRAF
23951 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 am

I would use OnyX and clear Applications and AU caches

syntonica
KVRian
1374 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:35 pm

You should nuke it from orbit!

Barring that, back up your Logic found in the Applications folder and make sure Logic is updated as far as it will go and also make sure Big Sur and any other Mac apps are also fully updated. These are the usual things to try, along with the very rarely needed reboot.

Create a test project to play with and see if your issues persist. Your current project may be corrupted and there's no chance of making it worse if you test with a fresh project. Unfortunately, as I've discovered, Mac software is not perfect! ;)

You can always go back to the older Logic if you need to.

megadude
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:18 am

If the current project is corrupted, is there a way to uncorrupt it?

Super Piano Hater 64
KVRist
296 posts since 24 Jan, 2021

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:28 am

megadude wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:18 am If the current project is corrupted, is there a way to uncorrupt it?
Copy all audio files out of the project, export any MIDI regions, and rebuild it from scratch.

Another thing to watch out for is a full SSD. If there's less than about 25% free space remaining, you can get all kinds of weird glitches that can corrupt random files and even the OS. Modern drives are supposed to be better about this but I've been burned enough times to develop a superstition.
I hate signatures too.

syntonica
KVRian
1374 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:50 am

Super Piano Hater 64 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:28 am
megadude wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:18 am If the current project is corrupted, is there a way to uncorrupt it?
Copy all audio files out of the project, export any MIDI regions, and rebuild it from scratch.

Another thing to watch out for is a full SSD. If there's less than about 25% free space remaining, you can get all kinds of weird glitches that can corrupt random files and even the OS. Modern drives are supposed to be better about this but I've been burned enough times to develop a superstition.
I worked with spinny drives for so long, I'm still wrapping my brain around solid-state and all of their peccadilloes. I know you want to leave a goodly amount of space so the drive has an easier time with usage leveling, but I'm still unsure of how much that should be. I'm sure 25% on a 2TB is overkill vs a 256GB drive. Do you know of any resources that explore this further?

Super Piano Hater 64
KVRist
296 posts since 24 Jan, 2021

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm

syntonica wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:50 am I worked with spinny drives for so long, I'm still wrapping my brain around solid-state and all of their peccadilloes. I know you want to leave a goodly amount of space so the drive has an easier time with usage leveling, but I'm still unsure of how much that should be. I'm sure 25% on a 2TB is overkill vs a 256GB drive. Do you know of any resources that explore this further?
Not offhand. I've heard of terms like "write amplification" but I don't actually understand the problem in enough depth to explain it. I do know that the problem has to do with the ratio of used space to free space, and that larger drives aren't any better than smaller drives at handling it automatically. In other words, size doesn't matter. What does matter is when the drive was made, because older SSDs had fewer defenses against this kind of problem.
I hate signatures too.

megadude
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:25 am

I wonder if this is part of my problem. I was at 270 GB of a 1 TB drive when this problem started. I'll try to do some file tidying up. Related to this, is it the case that once I've imported a file into Imovie, Imovie makes a duplicate of it? If so, I'll delete all the files I've imported for music video making first.

medienhexer
KVRian
1061 posts since 16 May, 2007 from At home. Good bye city ways!

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:05 am

Nope, I‘ve been on the edge of 512 GB SSD for years. MacOS will tell you when it becomes an issue.

My recommendation: except for drivers, most things that can go wrong are installed in your user folder. Mac OS is stored in a read-only partition (except for system updates). Create a new user account and see if these issues occur.

But NOISE during rendering, that sounds like either faulty RAM or a plugin issue.

Reboots should NEVER be required. Could also be a RAM issue or a thermal issue with either the CPU or GPU. So perhaps check the temperatures with an app and run memory tests
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

jancivil
KVRAF
23951 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:50 am

For me, 2019 16" MBP, things only tell below ~3% free space. Right now I'm down to around 100GB on a 2TB internal, performing normally.

the issue in the OP is likely a hardware fault, restarting on its own.

jonljacobi
KVRAF
1813 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 am

Once your SSD begins to fill, there's less NAND to be used as secondary cache (or primary if there's no DRAM on board), and writing will slow down under certain circumstances. If you're really running low, you may run into an erase-before-write condition. This is exactly what it sounds like, the issue being that erasing blocks of NAND is far slower than writing or reading. This can really drag things down but newer controllers are far less susceptible. Because of all this, it's generally recommended that you try to keep data below the 85% mark.

None of this affects read speed, which largely stays the same. The only slowdown with reading can be addressing. The larger the table, the more time it will take to find what you want. Subjectively, you won't notice it, but there is a small hit.

Under no circumstances should any of this generate errors, only slow things down. If your software can't handle a slowdown, or a cache overflow, that might cause issues. Generally speaking, crashes and glitches will have other causes. In Logic, this has always been corrupt files for me. As said, create a new clean copy.

BTW, Time Machine can keep a lot of local snapshots that can take up a ton of space depending on settings. These are purgeable. 'https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06 ... s-in-macos. I've gotten back as much as 450GB.

megadude
KVRist
Topic Starter

Post Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:45 am

weird follow up post. So I did the delete of the local time machine snapshots and nothing else. I then had an out of town trip for a week, and before I left, I unplugged all the surge protectors that the music stuff (including the computer) were plugged into from the walls. When I got back, I plugged everything back in and started everything up. The computer seems to be completely problem free now. Maybe the problem will show back up later, but so far it hasn't. Seems pretty strange that this would fix the problem....?????

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
7108 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:24 pm

It could be several things. A gone crazy peripheral or just its plug. Plugin’ in and out is fun also for machines, they seem to need it from time to time.
A friend of mine had a similar problem, and there we suspected the Roland cloud being a problem. Its installed so deep within the system (spyware), and does do something even if you don’t use it, that I got rid of it as fast as I could… My friends computer is fine again, maybe it was fixed in the background…
It could also be an antivirus which he had running…
Whatever. When I finally visited him it was good as well…

If something like that happens, open the Activity Monitor. It can tell you which process is using up the CPU, it can also tell you which process is using up memory. There are bugs called memory leaks, which eat up more and more memory. That would cause the system to start swapping, which would in turn slow down everything dramatically especially if you’d still have a spinning drive…

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”