What console emus do you like? API, Neve, SSL or...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My favourite emu is API, I like A25, T-Racks API eqs and Softube´s API emus,
AA Pink is not bad, too, but on bigger projects I get cpu issues with Pink.
Waves API emus are not my cup of tea.
I do not like the color and character of NEVE that much for my mixes, though.
SSL is nice, too, sometimes.
What about you?

Compared some emus from PA last sale. Their TMT tech impressed me, compared to stuff like Waves TG console. I like the SSL stuff and the Lindell 80, old Neve style desk. Still pretty new to this though so guess I like them all haha. Except the 9000J I believe. Or was it Console N. Some 90s desk at least I think, sounded scooped and too "modern" for me.

In the past it was Acoustica Audio Navy 2 - but I sold all my AA plugins because of neverending issues in Cubase that were never really fixed. I miss the sound of EQ and channels. I wish to find a plugin with 1:1 same sound.
I thought that I like AA Sand 3 but after a 'honeymoon' period I realized that the sound of those SSL consoles is not really that 'amazing'.
I still dig the sound of SSL 4000 and my fav plugins for this is Waves CLA MixHub (EQ) and IKM BusCompressor.

In the past, I tried and used plenty of console emulations. I thought that I need them to 'enhance' my productions. Now I barely use any of them. PA consoles are absolutely not my thing. I don't like what TMT is doing and besides that I don't hear anything exceptional in EQ/comp sections.

I like Softube British console and SSL native and BB N105 is not bad, but without a compressor. The Glue is a nice SSL emu.
PA consoles and Waves SSL emus never impressed me. I also like Waves Omni Scheps, but that's not a console emulation, it's a channel strip, but more or less the same thing.

I like Acustica Audio's stuff (both Acquas or Nebula libraries), being the ones I like the most PINK, London Acoustics Verona and AlexB MFC Console, and despite the CPU load, at least they work great with Reaper. I'm liking to use Kit BB N105 v2 too, but as @DCrown said, it lacks a compressor for the "total experience" (but the line/mic ins and EQs sounds good AF).

As I recently got an external preamp API-like (WA12 MkII), I'm trying to find an ITB solution to enhance the "API experience". I'm trying PA/Lindell 50, but still can't say much about it. I like PINK a lot, but need to take care of CPU load when the project begins to getbigger, as my PC is not stellar spec'ed. And now, I'm curious to try Softube's American Console too, as I already seen good stuff about it.
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

I like IKMM's British and White channels, used them since they came out and at the time they were my first "console emulation" plugins. I have since added some other strips and use them as the situation calls for. I've got to know their compressor and gate behavior, got to know their EQs and how the various adjustments function, so I just try to match capability to need now. I still sum into British Channel sometimes because I like how its comp reacts when driving it with multiple channels of signal in at low compression ratios, and I mean in terms of its nonlinear behavior as well as the dynamics changes it accomplishes. I never got into using that one across many channels however because its CPU usage is higher and I'm on older tech.

In 2021 I did several mixes leaning on bX' console 9000J, it has a nice sounding compressor and a useful gate/expander (maybe my favorite for downward expansion, which I use to clean up noisy old loops and suppress noise on buses when there's no sound so I can still get subtle noise elements applied to groups for the bringing-together that helps, in part, to achieve) as well as capable EQ bands that when put across tracks lets you make room quickly and easily with minimal hassle - and opinions certainly differ on TMT, but my opinion is I have liked it when I have set it up across a few tracks and then just worked with them visually and by ear. But sometimes you run into a weird channel with like an unusual small bass boost or a different frequency on some knob than you expected, too - everything is baked into the channels though so if you find one you don't like, you can not use that one if you're setting things up manually. Which I recommend - I am not sure "randomizing" your mix is a great approach when it comes to things like getting your stereo image right, just one man's opinion.
Last edited by Agreed on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

At the moment I like the Lindell 80 Neve emulation for general tone shaping (before going into a tape sim e.g.).
I also have used IK white channel, mostly on drums, sometimes bass.

I like Sonimus Britson, easy to use and I like what it does. Subtle but nice.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Do you use console emus on bus only?
I used SSL native channel on master and
like the result. Well, a Neve or API might add
too much color and specific character to a mix on master?! , but I am going to try it.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Helios from UAD. I hope more plugin devs will do their own version because I don't have an UAD interface anymore

api sound is well suited for electronic music imo, ssl also, if you want more colored sound neve is good

DCrown wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 am Do you use console emus on bus only?
I used SSL native channel on master and
like the result. Well, a Neve or API might add
too much color and specific character to a mix on master?! , but I am going to try it.
Once I saw a producer using a SSL channel strip emu on 2bus. Well, the digital world offers a lot of options, a sidechain filter or hp sc is sometimes added to an emu or a mix dry wet knob or .., whereas you won't find that in the real console and why not using it on 2bus?!
In your daw you could also use a SSL, Neve and API console in one mix on different tracks at the same time, that rarely happens in the "real" or analog world, sometimes different instruments are tracked and recorded in different studios on different consoles, though.
Although I prefer clean and transparent eq and comp on 2bus, I two times used a Neve console emu and liked it.
This topic is pretty interesting, you hear people talk about Neve, SSL, API sound, but do most of us really know the sound?. I have an idea for a video on my yt channel. I use about 5 or 6 console emus and intend to to make a trivia or guessing game. 5 or 6 mixes and people have to guess what console was used on the mix.
Yeah, cool, maybe on drums and 2bus only.
I also create my own consoles or channel strip just by using an eq and comp plugin, one of my fav ones is Telefunken, sometimes with DDMF Metaplugin.

SSL G and Lindell 80 - depends a lot per channel and if used at all at the moment.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Effects”