Simple Synth 1.5 for HALion

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
Topic Starter
13409 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:16 pm

Has anyone tried this? From the demo tracks and YT demos I've heard, it seems to sound pretty good and I like the simplicity of the workflow. Unfortunately there is no demo and I'm not willing to trust Steinberg's return policy if I don't like it so some further opinions would be welcome.

https://youtu.be/N7N-tjWjDkg

BTW, developers are stupid to use common words as product names - try searching "simple synth" and see what you get. Arghh!
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11(64), UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, GR-8, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Olga, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, Thorn, Odyssey, Equator, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Uno, Rocket.

BJ
KVRist
171 posts since 6 May, 2004 from Netherlands

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:45 pm

SIMPLE is pretty cool. Looks like this update is free so I'll check it out.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
Topic Starter

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:59 pm

Thanks. I've got a week to decide before the discount goes away so there's no screaming hurry but I'd definitely appreciate your thoughts.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11(64), UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, GR-8, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Olga, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, Thorn, Odyssey, Equator, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Uno, Rocket.

BJ
KVRist
171 posts since 6 May, 2004 from Netherlands

Post Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 pm

It's a solid update, the included patches are either hit or miss for me just like with version 1. You can get very quick and interesting results just from messing with the simple and shape knobs and going from there. My favorite part of this expansion are still some of the heavy brass patches that I use a lot ("Blowing Power", "Godzilla")

If you check out the second half of this vid you'll see more of what it can do now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvkZOHgjcFI

The CPU on some of these patches can get kind of high especially for Halion since Halion patches are usually more cpu friendly.

Also what I don't like is that Steinberg basically forces you to open these type of expansion synths in Halion Sonic instead of Halion 6 cause the macro page in Halion 6 just stays tiny and makes you use scroll bars whereas Halion Sonic automaticly resizes the window (I'm in Reaper can't speak for other DAWs).

I also don't understand why none of these newer expansion have assigned control knobs in the main Halion window, theyre just blank.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
Topic Starter

Post Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:27 pm

That Dom guy drives me nuts, I had to stop watching after about the first minute. But thanks for the feedback, I think I am convinced. I listened to a couple of other YT demos and I like what I hear. I've never used HALion before so it will all be new ground for me.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”