Erae Touch - All-around MIDI 2.0 controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pashkuli wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:32 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:14 pm It has pitch bend obviously. Read the website.
I am afraid, you do not understand.
After-touch can be set up for a one directional pitch bend... similar to fixed-bridge guitar, susual bend up (bend the string).

The question is setting up the control curve. It will get too technical, but also you need depth vertical distance of motion.

Just so you know. Slide is not pitch bend.
Of course slide isn't pitch bend. Pitch bend is a midi control message.
Like Bones said, slide is just the name for the physical gesture. It is a modulator along the x-axis. Pitch is the target for modulation via the pitch bend midi controller message. You get pitch bend behavior using the modulator of your choosing, sending pitch bend data. The default for this kind of controller is the X-Axis direction because it allows precise bends to whatever note you want, and is bi-directional. If you really wanted you could use pressure instead but that would be limiting as you'd have only one direction and it would be difficult to hold specific notes. Side to side vibrato is much more intuitive and you leave pressure and Y axis for others modulations. So x-axis makes much more sense.

Hope that clears it up.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:48 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:14 pm It has pitch bend obviously. Read the website.
After-touch can be set up for a one directional pitch bend... similar to fixed-bridge guitar, susual bend up (bend the string).

The question is setting up the control curve. It will get too technical, but also you need depth vertical distance of motion.

The default for this kind of controller is the X-Axis direction because it allows precise bends to whatever note you want, and is bi-directional. If you really wanted you could use pressure instead but that would be limiting. So x-axis makes much more sense.
Indeed. X-axis is slide. But technically is not the right gesture for pitch bend.
If you have played guitar or any such string instrument, you would have known the difference between pitch bend and pitch slide.

The controller message is wrongly called 'pitch bend' it is just pitch alteration because there is nothing to be bent in data transfer protocol.

You can bend a material (sensor) and such, but slide and glide are out of the question when it needs something to be bent.

Hope that helps.

If you really want to know what pitch bend is...
https://youtu.be/U4hvZUqqszg

Pashkuli wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:13 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:48 am

The default for this kind of controller is the X-Axis direction because it allows precise bends to whatever note you want, and is bi-directional. If you really wanted you could use pressure instead but that would be limiting. So x-axis makes much more sense.
Indeed. X-axis is slide. But technically is not the right gesture for pitch bend.
If you have played guitar or any such string instrument, you would have known the difference between pitch bend and pitch slide.

The controller message is wrongly called 'pitch bend' it is just pitch alteration because there is nothing to be bent in data transfer protocol.

You can bend a material (sensor) and such, but slide and glide are out of the question when it needs something to be bent.

Hope that helps.

If you really want to know what pitch bend is...
https://youtu.be/U4hvZUqqszg
I have played guitar for thirty years. Guitar is a physical instrument, not an electronic one, so the gestures are different. In this case for a continuous change in pitch you must shorten the string length that is vibrating somehow, or tighten the tension. Either by pushing up or down for a tighter tension, or loosening with a whammy bar, or using a guitar slide. There is no “technically right” pitch bend across completely different instruments, especially across electronic and acoustic ones. Instruments have different ways to adjust pitch. It is absurd to say that one completely different device isn’t doing pitch bend right. I don’t even know where to start about that pitch bend is the wrong name for the midi message, nobody cares. That’s the word everyone uses, get used to it. And if you don’t like that an instrument sends the midi message known as pitch bend by moving left to right, then use a different instrument. Doesn’t mean it’s “wrong”. I think it makes sense. This isn’t a guitar, it’s a different instrument. You don’t complain that a flute does pitch modulations wrong because you can’t push the wood like a string. So don’t complain that an electronic instrument doesn’t send a midi control message called pitch bend the way you want because it isn’t like some other physical instrument where you bend the material to cause a change in pitch. Different thing entirely.

@Echoes in the Attic
So, you know that what they call 'pitch bend' in MIDI is not at all pitch bend. Rather pitch alteration or pitch change.
I think 'pitch mod.' should be enough for clarity.

After-touch if done correctly at hardware level and implemented correctly at software (aft.touch curve profile) can represent fixed-bridge guitar pitch bend quite accurately (pitch bend up). Actually you can choose either: up or down, but not both

Of course it would be nice to have also pitch bend down... per key. It can be done and it actually does not have to be more than ×4 polyphonic (more than that is not suitable for performance\control and quite frankly sounds like a mess). :tu:

Pashkuli wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:58 pm @Echoes in the Attic
So, you know that what they call 'pitch bend' in MIDI is not at all pitch bend. Rather pitch alteration or pitch change.
But it doesn't matter what you think the name should be. Pitch Bend is the name of the midi message we are talking about. So it's no use to say that something doesn't do pitch bend correctly when you are not talking about what we are talking about. We are talking about modulating the midi message called pitch bend. If you don't like the name, take it up with the midi association. If you are going to talk to people about what you want to call pitch mod or whatever (but other people call pitch bend), just use the same words they us so that you can actually talk about things. Get it?
After-touch if done correctly at hardware level and implemented correctly at software (aft.touch curve profile) can represent fixed-bridge guitar pitch bend quite accurately (pitch bend up). Actually you can choose either: up or down, but not both
Again, "correctly" isn't the right term. Different instruments are deigned differently and have pros and cons. Often you can use software to change the curve of modulation expressions like pressure. Not sure about this one but I would imagine there is some flexibility there since there is a pretty comprehensive designer app. So perhaps you could set it up to send pitch bend messages with pressure as you want. I personally would not want that because I can already modulate pitch in the x direction for vibrato and slides. So the term "Correct" doesn't apply, it's a preference of how you want to set it up.

Pashkuli wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:58 pm @Echoes in the Attic

Aftertouch is a poor way to control pitch bend. It is clunky and problematic. X axis is more effective for pitch bend. X axis DOES both up and down and it is more controllable and precise. It is easier to add vibrato via X axis than aftertouch, particularly when playing polyphonically per voice and when playing a quicker string of notes.

Yes, it is obvious what we are talking about.
Also it is plainly evident that the MIDI message responsible for pitch modulation is called wrongly "pitch bend", whilst it should have been "pitch mod.".

People get many things wrong. We all learn.

Again, please call it "pitch mod." messages. Those before us gave it the wrong name. They did not know better.

If you'd like to change pitch mod message by performing a slide\glide gesture, this is not pitch bend gesture (technique).
It is a slide\glide. Actually usually slide is front\back, whilst glide is sideways (left\right).
Also, global pitch mod. can be assigned to a wheel (pot, potentiometer).

Remember, pitch bend is a technique, as is glide, slide, touch, pinch, etc..
It is not a MIDI message. 'Pitch mod.' is a data message. They got it wrong. Needs to be fixed.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:38 pm Aftertouch is a poor way to control pitch bend. It is clunky and problematic. X axis is more effective for pitch bend. X axis DOES both up and down and it is more controllable and precise. It is easier to add vibrato via X axis than aftertouch, particularly when playing polyphonically per voice and when playing a quicker string of notes.
I beg to differ.
Aftertouch in most keyboards and such is really basic. It can be done with understanding and care.

X axis (glide left\right) is really the way to go with pitch bend (it can be up and down).
But also Y axis is not bad for pitch bend gestures either. It should be matched to the instrument's own layout of keys\sensors either way. Same for vibrato.

Pashkuli wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:44 pm Yes, it is obvious what we are talking about.
Also it is plainly evident that the MIDI message responsible for pitch modulation is called wrongly "pitch bend", whilst it should have been "pitch mod.".

People get many things wrong. We all learn.

Again, please call it "pitch mod." messages. Those before us gave it the wrong name. They did not know better.

If you'd like to change pitch mod message by performing a slide\glide gesture, this is not pitch bend gesture (technique).
It is a slide\glide. Actually usually slide is front\back, whilst glide is sideways (left\right).
Also, global pitch mod. can be assigned to a wheel (pot, potentiometer).

Remember, pitch bend is a technique, as is glide, slide, touch, pinch, etc..
It is not a MIDI message. 'Pitch mod.' is a data message. They got it wrong. Needs to be fixed.
How about you stop making things up? The name of the midi message is pitch bend. Where are you getting that it is called pitch mod? It isn't. Again, you do not get to have your own names for things. And no, I am not going to call it pitch mod, because that isn't the name. We are talking about pitch bend, the midi message. Glide is the name roli gave the horizontal (x-axis) modulation gesture. There isn't a technically right gesture to modulate pitch with an electronic device. You do what you want. Most of us chose an x-axis modulation because it is the most precise and easiest. You can do whatever you like best, there isn't a wrong way for you, just stop telling people they are doing something "technically incorrect".

If you would like to see the definition of midi messages, you can rad here, specifically the section about pitch bend:
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/abou ... i-messages
You could also read the midi spec.

Yes we all learn, but apparently some are more resistant.

I can give the right name, especially when there is a logical (also technical) explanation behind it.

They got it wrong, when calling it 'pitch bend'. There is nothing "to bend" when data messages are concerned. You can only modulate it.
modulate
/ˈmɒdjʊleɪt/

definitions in: Phonetics, Electronics, Music
'to modulate', as a verb
1. exert a modifying or controlling influence on something
"the state attempts to modulate private business's cash flow"

2. vary the strength, tone, or pitch of (one's voice or sound).
"this device can modulate the pitch of the sound"

synonyms:
regulate, adjust, adjust, change the tone of, vary, inflect, attune, harmonize, temper

The word "bend" came more likely from guitar analogy, which was wrong.
I hope you can understand now. And also that you learnt something the correct way. :tu:

Pashkuli wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:07 am I can give the right name, especially when there is a logical (also technical) explanation behind it.

They got it wrong, when calling it 'pitch bend'. There is nothing "to bend" when data messages are concerned. You can only modulate it.
modulate
/ˈmɒdjʊleɪt/

definitions in: Phonetics, Electronics, Music
'to modulate', as a verb
1. exert a modifying or controlling influence on something
"the state attempts to modulate private business's cash flow"

2. vary the strength, tone, or pitch of (one's voice or sound).
"this device can modulate the pitch of the sound"

synonyms:
regulate, adjust, adjust, change the tone of, vary, inflect, attune, harmonize, temper

The word "bend" came more likely from guitar analogy, which was wrong.
I hope you can understand now. And also that you learnt something the correct way. :tu:
You are still missing my point. Pitch Mod may have been a slightly better name, that's not what I'm arguing about. I'm talking what the name ACTUALLY is. As per the midi specification. When we have a conversation about something we use the actual name, not what it SHOULD have been named. Because that way we can actually talk about the thing itself. It's just a damn name. So you can't tell someone that pitch bend modulation is being done incorrectly on the basis that this particular midi message was wrongly named. That is bad logic. You can have a different argument about that with the midi people if you want. It's not our call. We are not your audience for that. We are talking about the midi message. Just stop, you're being arrogant and annoying.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:30 am You are still missing my point. Pitch Mod may have been a slightly better name...
It's just a damn name. So you can't tell someone that pitch bend modulation is being done incorrectly on the basis that this particular midi message was wrongly named. That is bad logic.
Not arrogant at all. Just a truth, plain and simple truth.
If you perform a slide and tell me it is a 'pitch bend' because some ignorant person has given that name ('pitch bend') to a pitch modulation data message, I will always point out that simple fact and clarify what the truth is.
Because of... simple logic.

If we had continued to give the wrong terms to things and processes and not correcting them, we would still be calling the 'Earth flat'. Oh, you know what?! Some still do call it that way... see, that is my point.

And the masses have always proven to not be a reliable source of truth.

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:32 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:30 am You are still missing my point. Pitch Mod may have been a slightly better name...
It's just a damn name. So you can't tell someone that pitch bend modulation is being done incorrectly on the basis that this particular midi message was wrongly named. That is bad logic.
Not arrogant at all. Just a truth, plain and simple truth.
If you perform a slide and tell me it is a 'pitch bend' because some ignorant person has given that name ('pitch bend') to a pitch modulation data message, I will always point out that simple fact and clarify what the truth is.
Because of... simple logic.

If we had continued to give the wrong terms to things and processes and not correcting them, we would still be calling the 'Earth flat'. Oh, you know what?! Some still do call it that way... see, that is my point.

And the masses have always proven to not be a reliable source of truth.
a strawberry isn't a berry, but a tomato is.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:35 pm a strawberry isn't a berry, but a tomato is.
and banana is actually a grass, bush as bamboo is
So?

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:47 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:35 pm a strawberry isn't a berry, but a tomato is.
and banana is actually a grass, bush as bamboo is
So?
youre going to be busy righting all the world's wrongs.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”