The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

https://lminiero.bandcamp.com/album/delusions-master

This release album is from Lorenzo Miniero, aka rainmak3r who posts the details at

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.ph ... 47#p138247

It's all done with free/open-source tools, and quite well done, with acoustic, metal, orchestra, and sample elements, also some thoughtful and poignant lyrics and storytelling. :hyper:

http://linuxmusic.rocks/

This is a well managed and stocked information site for those using or considering linux softwares as musicians tools. Plenty of man-hours under the hood :hyper:

linux-rocks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Good evening... it's been a while since I dropped in here... So I'm looking for advice on the best place to pick up an ISO image that I can boot, mount my disks (local NTFS and CIFS network) and get Kontakt 5 (full), Kontakt 6 (packs) and Sforzando running under Linux Reaper.

(EDIT: I say "Reaper", as that's what I use for live performance right now, to route multiple applications together with ReaRoute -- I'd be using JACK, of course, under Linux, so that would open the option of switching to another host -- but I also use TouchOSC for OSC and MIDI control of Reaper... I'm hoping that still works...)
Last edited by pljones on Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pljones wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:44 pm Good evening... it's been a while since I dropped in here... So I'm looking for advice on the best place to pick up an ISO image that I can boot, mount my disks (local NTFS and CIFS network) and get Kontakt 5 (full), Kontakt 6 (packs) and Sforzando running under Linux Reaper.
While you are at it, Glokraw could you also let everyone know the current best practices to get Kontakt and Sforzando running best under WINE Staging + YABridge? Thanks!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Hi, I'll give it a shot, there's lots of roads to Hollywood, but not so many
to make Kontakt. Attempted detours are unlucky. :scared:
I'll assume a longtime windows user is the target, armed with time
and motivation to persevere.

Use the latest AVLinux,

www.bandshed.net

which has an important working wine-asio setup.
And you'll want/need 200 gig of contiguous free diskspace, for big installers to party in,
so the size of drive you install AVLinux to, is crucial. A large fresh extra ntfs partition as a download destination would be very lucky.

The AVLinux .wine folder will not have NI related registry conflicts.

Use the latest wine-staging 6.23 to install windows-Reaper, and Native Access, do a reboot, and then run the Kontakt installer. Reboot, and launch Native Access,
hopefully it finds your Kontakt install without drama. Even if you started by installing the latest Native Access, it may mistakenly demand you install the latest Native Access from their website, yet again, and we must obey :x :wink:

Restart Native Access if it shows blank screens or reports fatal errors. That's what has been my experience for a few years now. Next, assuming Kontakt was duly authorized,

Install Yabridge 3.7 or newer. Once that is OK, add the Kontakt vst path to Yabridge plugin list

Code: Select all

yabridgectl add /home/audiojunkie/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTPlugins 64 bit"
run command yabridgectl sync

Don't assume Native Instruments error messages are the end of the story.
Failed downloads didn't really fail, they just get missed by filesystem differences.
Luckily, Kontakt doesn't come as an iso, and the installer actually found in the users Downloads folder, or wine's version, should work without extra drama, like most other .exe files.

Sometimes Native Access needs more than one attempt to get a grip on launching
(with lucky reboots in between), and once it's alive, it does a good job of authorising what's been installed. A decades-old codebase running in 2021 linux? :dog: :hyper:
who's ah evah thunk it!

As for running Kontakt, I configure it to use 1 cpu, and the same for Reaper, when
Kontakt is in a session. I have 3.4 ghz i7 cores, and just one of them seems do
pretty well.

Also, the MX Linux used by AVLinux might like it's own 100 gig of free diskspace,
so I would consider a 2 terrabyte drive with Kontakt, full, at 1.3 terrabytes. I had to jocky disk-space just last week, to avoid some issues, and some blatant hypocrisy :dog:

(luckily, the short parade of Arch and Ubuntu Kontakt users, ((from whom I learn almost everything worth remembering)), likely won't be reading this :hihi:

And thanks for your frequent news and info posts around the net.
Change can happen fast when I'm snoozing!
Last edited by glokraw on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sorry, zero experience with Sforzando. :neutral:

Just for the record, I just fired up Kontakt 6 in AVLinux with the great West Africa library, and using Dualism midi output to pound out an array of new beats :hyper:

The chart at the link shows the content of the affordable Komplete13 Select, which includes Kontakt Player, West Africa, several great synths, along with sampled instruments libraries, and Reaktor Player, which will run the excellent included Prism synth, and will run the many free Reaktor User Library ensembles for 30 minutes at a time, before needing a demo-limit restart.
The Select collection is free with some NI keyboards, or their usb audio interface, which is known to work well in linux.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... t/compare/

k6-dualism.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can you confirm hardware MIDI support? I want to trigger by MIDI In for real-time audio performance - not recording / production.

As in playing a piano etc? No problems, very low latency, using old mAudio pci card. The Native Access beloved auto-update usually requires using NI's registry entry delete tool to remove the existing Native Access entry, then run the full Native Access installer, as opposed to the slightly smaller Native Access Update installer.
Cheers

giant.png
The Giant.mp3.zip

Native Access said Raum could be updated, and again the process
is a bit convoluted:
1. Remove the Raum registry entry
2. Re-install the original Raum
3. Run the Raum update installer. There was a lag of about 20 seconds in the last phase, before the installer gui re-appeared, as mentioned elsewhere, patience wins out over panic. I consider the extra steps a small price to access the NI products in my preferred environments.

I keep all my NI tools, installers, .iso files, and command-line example textfiles in one place, as they come in handy on a regular basis. (Same storage formula for tracking the IK product, downloads, but happily, they don't require dancing in the registry.)

Raum-update.png

Here's the great new Surge XT V1.0, and it's effects rack, running in
pclinuxos Enlightenment 25 edition

Surge-XT-pclosE25.jpg

These are songs relating to various aspects of war.
I removed the

https://www.youtube.com

...to save room, and to lessen the appearance of self-promotion in such
dark times. Paste it back to the / if interested. It's not happy music.
The first two are current to the invasion of Ukraine, the rest
have come about in years past, as other wars raged, and still do.

Springtime In Chernobyl /watch?v=MRWlphzp-TI

Defenders /watch?v=YViEmmrNsnU

Let's Roll /watch?v=43NJustASIY

Borderline /watch?v=G5zgCUwJceI

Behind Enemy Lines /watch?v=cMGJnUIaA78

Tread Lightly /watch?v=xvxL1MJlIPA

The Far Shore With Mountain High /watch?v=Z5-AONz7GIM&t=822s

When A Nation Falls /watch?v=Qh_L6tDTOKQ

Protected Borders /watch?v=jJtBT8BPICA

When Sorrow Rides The Wind /watch?v=XuO_DADSRmQ

Codebreaker /watch?v=t46t4WVQkhk

Vortex War /watch?v=FaLnAvtdes4

Ice Station Final White /watch?v=EQfL1JI9Quk

All That's Left Behind /watch?v=A-gGdMIQpGs&t=274s

The new Steam portable console can run Linux apps. Might want to wait until the stick drift is addressed, but pretty darn cool. To me, Renoise seems like it would be the most usable DAW with this setup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... t_through/

Pipewire progress: I have two yoshimi synths running, one in alsa on the motherboard soundchip, and one in jackd on the pci soundcard, both at the same time :hyper:

This is in a live-dvd session of Fedora 35, likely the most polished pipewire setup among
the main linux distros.

Even better, I'm running Firefox with my youtube playlist also playing in both audio outputs
and can jam along with the synths to ...er...fill in the gaps, so to speak :( :hihi:

yoshimi -a and yoshimi -j started the synths

Firefox-yoshimi-youtube.png
yoshimi-cousins.png

Very cool! What's been your opinion with Fedora as far as Pro Audio goes? I like what Fedora provides out of the box as far as the OS goes, but Planet CCRMA seems to be dead, which contains the majority of Fedora's Pro Audio software. Without support for the available pro audio apps, I've been more apt to gravitate toward The Arch or Debian families of distros, which seems to have better support for all of the available open source pro audio software. Has this been your experience, or have you found other repositories that overlap adequately or that replace Planet CCRMA?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”