Arrival (Melodic Techno)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Iris 2 Vital

Hello!

This is my Melodic Techno track :oops:

I will appreciate your critics and comments )

Hope you'll enjoy it! :phones:

https://soundcloud.com/mixail-medved-53 ... al_sharing

bitrate 320, filesize 14 Mb
Medvedium (Mike Medved) - Прибытие (Arrival)

It's interesting and important to get to know your opinion :)

Yeah, it can be tough getting feedback around here, especially if you're relatively new to the forum. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my posts get completely ignored.

Anyway, I'm not a big techno fan. Too repetitive for me. Not enough musical variance. So I'll just comment on the mix, at least how it strikes me.

For the most part, nice stereo field. Kick is certainly prominent enough. Synths sound decent if not spectacular. The low end, for me, seems a tad muddy. But that's just a taste thing. I'm sure true fans of the genre will say the low end is fine. For me, the kick has too much meat and not enough click. I'm not a big fan of the rubbery kick. I like a kick that has a little more snap to it.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 7.5 mostly because it's too long given how little actual musical variety you're providing. But again, as I said, I'm not a big fan of the genre.

Maybe now that I've commented you'll get some more comments. If for no other reason than to tell me how wrong I am with my critique. I have a knack for stirring things up when I pop into a thread.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:18 pm Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for yor comment, useful, interesting and funny ))

Especially I'm glad that you liked the sound of synths.
I used synth Izotope Iris-2 with sampled analogue waveforms for the main lead and bass, also I put them both in especial tunnel-like reverb space.
Triplets pluck is made with simple stock synth, with a lot of complex modulation on top of it, like micro-delay time etc.
Pads are made with Vital - surprisingly good synth for efforts-saving, wide, silky, rich, singing pads.

I've got my own check-list of to-do's to improve the mixing quality of the track (I did this track about a year ago), and you just have proved my primary doubts )

I'm inclined to agree with what wagtunes already said - I definitely feel that the track is too long given the lack of musical variety. It would have still been fine if it'd ended at around the 4:15 mark, but the extra 2 minutes or so after that just stretches it out needlessly while adding next to nothing. I did quite dig the sounds, though, minus the bass drum - it sort of drowns beneath the synths and lacks low-end "punch".

All that said, it's certainly not the worst piece I've ever heard. It has a groove to it that I liked, and the triplet arpeggio on top of the otherwise straight beat lends it some intrigue. With some tweaks to the sounds and more musical variety, this has the potential to be an absolute banger.

Also, welcome to KVR! c:
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am I'm inclined to agree with what wagtunes already said - I definitely feel that the track is too long given the lack of musical variety. It would have still been fine if it'd ended at around the 4:15 mark, but the extra 2 minutes or so after that just stretches it out needlessly while adding next to nothing. I did quite dig the sounds, though, minus the bass drum - it sort of drowns beneath the synths and lacks low-end "punch".

All that said, it's certainly not the worst piece I've ever heard. It has a groove to it that I liked, and the triplet arpeggio on top of the otherwise straight beat lends it some intrigue. With some tweaks to the sounds and more musical variety, this has the potential to be an absolute banger.

Also, welcome to KVR! c:
You do realize agreeing with me is the kiss of death around here. :D

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:14 am You do realize agreeing with me is the kiss of death around here. :D
I don't, but thanks for enlightening me, I guess. :D
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Medvedium, techno not my thing, melodic trance my preferred EDM style. But I do listen to Boris Brejcha as he is a master at introducing subtle changes over a relatively long passage of music to keep you interested.
The acid style synth that you have is good but you need to introduce it by filtering imho and its also too loud, its overwhelming the rest of the instruments. And as other have said, the track it too long.
You have some nice bass and percussion but it may be my imagination but there seems to be a swing from time to time which doesn't match the style you are aiming at? I would also say that you need to be careful to have each of the instruments and their melodies distinct and not have them all competing for space in the mix. Better to leave one or two out to shine on their own, otherwise it can sound a little cluttered. Also, did you use the same reverb for all the instruments as there seems to be varying amounts which can sound a little confusing. Hope this was helpful, the basic track is good and its worth persevering with.
Music is the food of the soul!

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am All that said
Thank you for the comment, hints and kind words!
Some things certainly need to be updated in a way you described )
Looking at my track from your point of view gives me a lot of useful thoughts )

Paul881 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:16 pm Hope this was helpful
Thanks!
With your comment I'm feeling more sure where to move particularly updating this track and in common for further production )
You've pointed at some minor things I wasn't sure about - it's important )

Return to “Music Cafe”