does "western" music mostly consists of Major/Minor scales?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

how so?

shawshawraw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:12 pm You guys are abusing the word “are”
no talk of pirating please :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

There's an important distinction between "based on a major/minor scale" and "only uses the notes of a particular major/minor scale".

Accidentals are widely used and in classical music a lot of attention/significance may be given to moving between different keys.

On the other hand, pop music (especially Eurovision-type stuff) is likely to contain really dreadful abrupt key changes, if any.

(There are of course many exceptions.)

Farnaby wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:15 pmhow so?
Are McDonalds fast food?
Are modes scales?

We talk about “playing a Eb lydian above this Ebmaj7”. Yes we’re talking about a scale. But “this section has a lydian sound” - still just a scale??

jancivil wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:49 pm Well, the other kind of music, Country does
Western music nowadays consists of major/minor scales since it is more trendy and more appealing to listeners. The contemporary world of today needs a wider scope of scales to be popular especially with the new generation who enjoy listening to music in doing most of their daily activities.

shawshawraw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:12 pm You guys are abusing the word “are”
total apologies (got your pm)

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Western music nowadays consists of both major and minor scales since these types of music are more trendy and more appealing to listeners. We are now in the 22nd century where most people can enjoy listening to music anytime and anywhere while doing different daily activities. We can also easily play many kinds of instruments using these scales.

shawshawraw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:29 pm
Farnaby wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:15 pmhow so?
Are McDonalds fast food?
Are modes scales?

We talk about “playing a Eb lydian above this Ebmaj7”. Yes we’re talking about a scale. But “this section has a lydian sound” - still just a scale??
Yes because modes are types of scale. It doesn't matter what the mode is it is still a scale

Farnaby wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:15 pm
Yes because modes are types of scale. It doesn't matter what the mode is it is still a scale
No you didn't get me. "Mode" has another facet of meaning where it implies a certain sonic signature. See if my old post makes sense: viewtopic.php?p=8283108#p8283108

Farnaby wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:06 pm Modes are scales. In functional harmony, scales imply harmonic structure, but modes do not. You have it the wrong way round.
My god, you are right. :lol:

A scale is just a linear structure. How difficult is this to understand?
A mode implies harmonic and melodic content, not just up or down a ladder.

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:19 pm
Farnaby wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:06 pm Modes are scales. In functional harmony, scales imply harmonic structure, but modes do not. You have it the wrong way round.
A scale is just a linear structure. How difficult is this to understand?
A mode implies harmonic and melodic content, not just up or down a ladder.
Actually I didn't put this correctly - I meant the major and minor scales imply functional harmony, but the other modes don't.

The major/minor paradigm more or less implies harmonic function; in support of this I point to the fact of minor with a raised seventh degree which performs the primary harmonic function Dominant-Tonic, reflecting major in that way.

OTOH: let's give a mode, Dorian, where its 6-7 may be taken as though leading tone when the harmony for that is there. There is no function implied, at any rate. It should not be confounded with any requsite harmonic use.
I guess we can say anything that may happen using it is logically an implication, but it's not the quality of imply that major/minor scales carries, which has specificity.

Farnaby wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:16 pm Actually I didn't put this correctly - I meant the major and minor scales imply functional harmony, but the other modes don't.
Again, that is probably not what you wanted\meant to write.
There are so many major and minor scales.
Heck, even the scales over other modes are major or minor.

This is again a badly inherited indoctrination, a narrow paradigm, to favour certain scale...
It is old, obsolete and quite frankly - wrong.

Caine123 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 am hey guys, i just found a page named tunebat, i dunno how accurate the page is but i brwosed some music e.g. adele, migos etc. so some mainstream stuff which just came into my mind and it was only Minor and Major scales, no phrygian, lydian etc. so i wonder, is this really like that?
If this is robot generated and/or all songs are noted as simply major or minor without any exceptions, I'd question its accuracy.

If you really wanna know, you fetch like 4 BillBoard Hot100 lists from some months apart and go analyse all them songs manually.
Statistics don't lie, and perhaps you learn something during the analysis.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

soonnixx wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:46 pm We are now in the 22nd century
Nope, last time I checked we were still in the 21st.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Music Theory”