Steinberg Discontinuing VST2 Support in its products

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:21 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm I'm a huge fan of the concept of CLAP and wish it all the success in the world but this early in the game it's hard for me to put my money on success or failure of the format.
There is nowhere for you to put your money on it :hihi:
hes in vegas, hell find somewhere.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:24 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm I'm a huge fan of the concept of CLAP and wish it all the success in the world but this early in the game it's hard for me to put my money on success or failure of the format.
:dog: of course!

jamcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:34 amwhy
Here's why: viewtopic.php?p=8331812#p8331812

(I'm not gonna discuss things here, but I feel like falsehoods need to be addressed, hence I posted my answer there...)

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:11 pm What we devs could also do is to offer an existing commercial product for free exclusively on CLAP.
Thats also valid. And the offer doesn't have to be forever if thats too heavy on the dev, just until CLAP picks up pace.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

I can't say I'm hugely surprised by this move, and I feel like the most useful thing I can do at this point is to get in touch with developers whose plug-ins I use regularly who don't have VST3 versions to ask whether they have any plans to add VST3 versions in the future. 24 months is plenty of time to figure out whether or not I can find alternatives if I need to, and I'm sure wrappers will pop up for the one or two outliers I absolutely can't do without.

Also, this is the first I'm reading about CLAP and I am 100% into it as an idea.

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:11 pm What we devs could also do is to offer an existing commercial product for free exclusively on CLAP.
or as it rests on getting the host devs onboard, licencing a clap version to a host maybe? is that a possibility?

So when will the hip hop dis record regarding all of this, using only VST2 plugs, be released?

No More Wrappers In The Projects! 8)
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:24 pm
Oh yea I've already got a Benjamin bet on "Success" so they better not let me down or big guys with crooked noses and pinstriped suits will come round. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:01 am
jamcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:41 amThe creator of CLAP, Alexandre Bique, is a u-he employee.
You and facts just dont get along, do you. He's a Bitwig employee. Subcontracting on Linux ports for U-he doesnt change his day job.
Ok. Then Bitwig would be the new boss. That doesn’t alter the underlying conundrum in any way.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

If this forces FL Studio to stop VST2 support, I will go to Steinberg HQ myself and have a little chat with them.

arkmabat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 pm If this forces FL Studio to stop VST2 support, I will go to Steinberg HQ myself and have a little chat with them.
It’s not FL studio you have to be worried about. It is Steinberg themselves who are in the process of actively killing the VST2 format through legal processes. And unfortunately, I don’t think a little chat will do much good to change their minds. Steinberg is betting the entire farm on VST3.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

jamcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:46 pm Ok. Then Bitwig would be the new boss. That doesn’t alter the underlying conundrum in any way.
it's released under MIT license. among other things, this implies that even the original authors have no legal leverage to take it away from the world, once it's out there. there's certainly a lot less bossiness to be expected here. the plugin ecosystem, once established, will be there to stay. compare that to vst2 - and who knows what will happen to vst3 when steinberg decides that now it's time for vst4? what i do expect (and hope for) in the governance of the clap format is a certain amount of sensible curation of which feature extensions will be accepted into the official standard and which won't. but that's about it. but even if some plugin and host really need some feature that doesn't get accepted into the standard, they will still be able do provide the feature as a non-standard extension. it's really very liberal
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Music Engineer wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:49 pm what i do expect (and hope for) in the governance of the clap format is a certain amount of sensible curation of which feature extensions will be accepted into the official standard and which won't. but that's about it. but even if some plugin and host really need some feature that doesn't get accepted into the standard, they will still be able do provide the feature as a non-standard extension. it's really very liberal
In a way, thats actually similar to how MIDI's RPN and NRPN works!!. It's very convenient. And seeing the success of MIDI over 35+ years and how it stood the test of time. I'm expecting/hoping CLAP would do good in that.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

jamcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:46 pm Ok. Then Bitwig would be the new boss. That doesn’t alter the underlying conundrum in any way.
Wrong again - You are just making stuff up without knowing anything.

jamcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:46 pm... the new boss
... will be the developer community itself. There's going to be a legal body that assumes governance over the standard which will be formed by members of various companies involved from either side of the aisle (host manufacturers and plug-in manufacturers).

Again, happy to discuss specifics in dedicated threads, dunno why it even comes up here...?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”