New Plug-In: Blue Cat's Connector

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Connector

Here is finally a tutorial on this remote plug-in processing topic:
How to offload plug-in processing on another computer using Blue Cat's PatchWork and Connector

It shows an example using Logic Pro on a Mac, with plug-ins being processed on a Windows PC. Beware, it's a lot of fun :-D.

"Or you may simply want to use plug-ins that are not available on your platform (Windows plug-ins on Mac or vice versa, etc…)"

Now I am REALLY interested.

thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:17 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 pm How would this work when loading two programs on the same pc , both can NOT use the same audio driver ( using roland and asio driver here )on win 10 ?
I asked this queston on gearslutz but kinda got laughed away by someone :roll:
You will have to enable drift compensation so that Connector compensates automatically for the drift that you may have between both audio interfaces (because of clock sync issues), but it should work.
I don't you got my initial questin
What I am trying to say is that I can NOT run two separate programs on the same computer system .
Example , Renoise and Loomer architect , because one is already using the asio driver , it makes no sense to load bluecat connector in the other program ( which has no driver ) because it can't produce an audio stream.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:10 pm How would this work when loading two programs on the same pc , both can NOT use the same audio driver ( using roland and asio driver here )on win 10 ?
You will have to enable drift compensation so that Connector compensates automatically for the drift that you may have between both audio interfaces (because of clock sync issues), but it should work.
What I am trying to say is that I can NOT run two separate programs on the same computer system .
Example , Renoise and Loomer architect , because one is already using the asio driver , it makes no sense to load bluecat connector in the other program ( which has no driver ) because it can't produce an audio stream.
I can run Cantabile into Reaper and have both playing here. Not tried others, but that worked fine and took only a minute or two to set up

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:18 pm
Musical Gym wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 am I'm trying to send audio and midi from FL to Studio One. So far it looks like audio is being sent from FL but not getting recorded in Studio One. Are there any daw to daw tutorials for Connector other than the Eli Krantzberg one?
Does the audio go thru though? Or you do not get any sound anyway (not just a recording issue)?
Yes, the audio was going through from FL to S1 yesterday, but today it isn't working.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 pm
they should be able to share the audio driver if they are running at the same sample rate and the audio device is set up in shared mode, have set up architect into bitwig and they are connecting over local host

hadn't initially paid attention to this plug until I saw it can do feedback loops

Can it link multiple computers?

Specific case posit:
Assuming this can link two (or more) computers running two different OS?
My specific posit is running Win7 on one machine and Win10 on the other. (Audiogridder does do this, but is more for running plugins separately.)

A use I'm thinking of for the BCC Plug-in is running a smaller computer with Win7 for my hardware hub which allows me to use their drivers that haven't been updated to run on W10 and then that communicating through that to the W10 machine. I can then also dedicate that W7 machine with the relative hardware editors. And upgrade my server machine from 7 to 10 (although I'd probably prefer to just upgrade it to W8.1)

Would that application work?
That could be very useful for me if it did.

BaiCaiX wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 pm Can it link multiple computers?
I don't know what you mean by "link", but it can help send/receive audio and MIDI between computers on a regular IP network, as shown in this tutorial.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 am Specific case posit:
My specific posit is running Win7 on one machine and Win10 on the other. (Audiogridder does do this, but is more for running plugins separately.)

A use I'm thinking of for the BCC Plug-in is running a smaller computer with Win7 for my hardware hub which allows me to use their drivers that haven't been updated to run on W10 and then that communicating through that to the W10 machine. I can then also dedicate that W7 machine with the relative hardware editors. And upgrade my server machine from 7 to 10 (although I'd probably prefer to just upgrade it to W8.1)

Sure, you can even do that between machines running MacOS and Windows. Beware that you may have to take time to find out the best buffer settings to minimize latency, and you will need an instance of Connector for each audio stream.

Useful, thanks! So many applications for this.

e.g. it can be used to create separate audio outputs per layer in Unify!

I will buy it anyway, but wondered if an IOS connector app is ever likely to happen as I use my iPad with my Windows PC using rtpMIDI for MIDI (I have StudioMUX for audio but it's always been flakey)?

What would really be cool is if you could create an iOS version that would allow you to send audio and MIDI data to and from and iPad/iPhone. I am not sure if this is even possible, but that would be a cool application!

Hmm...would i be able to midisync, with separate midi connections midiclock, two win pc and that way play pc1 softsynth in sync on pc2 machine?

Or do i only send midi over lan and get audio back to have it in sync on my pc2 project.
It's how i sync things to the pc i work on?
Just recieving midi or audio doesn't automatically sync to the tracks. Or am i thinking wrong?
Last edited by Saffran on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am
BBFG# wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:39 am Specific case posit:

Sure, you can even do that between machines running MacOS and Windows. Beware that you may have to take time to find out the best buffer settings to minimize latency, and you will need an instance of Connector for each audio stream.

I would then assume the buffers need to be set for the lesser machine specs and then matched by the more powerful one?
Also, will this allow for more than one instance on the hostserver side? (As in a case to run more than one off-loaded computer simultaneously?)

In addition to my questions in the previous comment, "has this also been tested in Linux-Ubuntu Studio under WINE?"

Return to “Effects”