Pashkuli: PMN (Plain Music Notation)

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Erisian wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 pm
Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm I reshaped it as you play it. On the score it is F, but plays Eb. I do not know what is going on with this standard score. That is why I never got a good grasp of it. It is just awful.

PMN jazzy (new).jpg
Yeah, it is F and should be played as F. I don't know what is going on with your software but it is not a problem with standard score. Your software should not be playing E flat.
But it does. Maybe it is related to the key signature. And is exactly as shawshawraw says he plays it.

Anyway, no time to deal with this anymore. PMN is not ambiguous as this nonsense, so it does not matter. This old notation needs to go... for good.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:16 pm
Erisian wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 pm
Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:39 pm I reshaped it as you play it. On the score it is F, but plays Eb. I do not know what is going on with this standard score. That is why I never got a good grasp of it. It is just awful.

PMN jazzy (new).jpg
Yeah, it is F and should be played as F. I don't know what is going on with your software but it is not a problem with standard score. Your software should not be playing E flat.
But it does. Maybe it is related to the key signature. And is exactly as shawshawraw says he plays it.

Anyway, no time to deal with this anymore. PMN is not ambiguous as this nonsense, so it does not matter. This old notation needs to go... for good.
Take it from somebody who understands standard score and stop arrogantly looking for excuses. It has nothing to do with the key signature. It's either the software you are using or it is your ears. The latter is most likely.

Also why is there a b accidental when it is also in the key signature is beyond my knowledge.
Someone form Berklee dare to explain?
wtf.jpg
Erisian wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:20 pm
Take it from somebody who understands standard score and stop arrogantly looking for excuses. It has nothing to do with the key signature. It's either the software you are using or it is your ears. The latter is most likely.
Ok, can you write it correctly on MuseScore, Notion 6 or Overture 5, please, and share the exported MIDI (or native format or MusicXML)? I have those score notation software installed.
This is again proof that this old notation is not useful and requires a lot of unnecessary preparation ("knowledge").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

so f double flat, gives you?

knowledge is not unnecessary preparation, it helps with understanding.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:30 pm knowledge is not unnecessary preparation, it helps with understanding.
"knowledge" not knowledge, anyway... I hope someone can export a proper MIDI form that original screenshot by shawshawraw.

To me, the standard music notation has always been broken. Ambiguous in its inception.

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:25 pm Also why is there a b accidental when it is also in the key signature is beyond my knowledge.
Because there's an A natural in the previous bar.

shawshawraw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:41 pm
Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:25 pm Also why is there a b accidental when it is also in the key signature is beyond my knowledge.
I do not get it. Aren't accidentals supposed to affect current bar only and also only the line they are in? Honestly, this notation system is an abomination.

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:00 pm Honestly, this notation system is an abomination.
that has been responsible for all the incredible symphonies and preludes and amazing orchestral music that generations have enjoyed listening to for centuries.

Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:00 pm
I do not get it. Aren't accidentals supposed to affect current bar only and also only the line they are in? Honestly, this notation system is an abomination.
Yup. It's nonsense. Life is nonsense too. I just spilled a glass of water around my guitar pedals. I hope they'll be fine.

Erisian wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm
Pashkuli wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:00 pm Honestly, this notation system is an abomination.
that has been responsible for all the incredible symphonies and preludes and amazing orchestral music that generations have enjoyed listening to for centuries.
So was with Latin language and old English, old Chinese, and many as such.
We live in 21st century not in the 18th.
They (the authors of 'incredible symphonies and preludes') did not know any better.

Anyway, I am glad I had never any need to 'learn' this uncomfortable... writing system.
anyway.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shawshawraw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:41 pm
Exactly. It's called a cautionary accidental. Your knowledge may need extending.

Farnaby wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 am
shawshawraw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:41 pm Because there's an A natural in the previous bar.
Exactly. It's called a cautionary accidental. Your knowledge may need extending.
Ironic, isn't it. People have spent months if not years learning such unnecessary "knowledge", whilst they could have done much more music.

Not really, this is a helpful notation convention in my view. It took me a few seconds to learn this.

Farnaby wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 am Not really, this is a helpful notation convention in my view. It took me a few seconds to learn this.
How old are you and how many months have you spent exercising\reading the standard notation?
It would be the same if I ask a korean person to read anything in their Hangul script.
They will say the same... I could read it.

This subject is not about how to show off your skills on a standard music notation.

It is about the comparison between its flaws and the solutions offered in PMN as an alternative.
Enough examples have been given in that direction, since the first few posts.
Quite unnecessary 'rules' the standard notation has. Such 'rules' make it heavy, clumsy and erroneous in terms of direct reading.

Return to “Music Theory”