Stock vs. third-party plugins: Which do you use more?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?

Stock vs. third-party: Which plugins do you use more?

I use stock plugins only.
3%
I do what I can with stock plugins and only resort to third-party ones in a pinch.
14%
I use stock and third-party plugins with roughly equal inclination/preference.
41%
I use mainly third-party plugins and only use stock ones if necessary for a certain sound.
30%
I use third-party plugins only.
11%

Total votes: 123

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thread inspired by a discussion I had with a friend yesterday. Just happened to be curious as to how people on KVR regard stock vs. third-party plugins in their mixes. Poll is included.

Myself, I'm of Camp #3 ("I use stock and third-party plugins with roughly equal inclination/preference"). As far as "basic" mixing (compression, gating, EQ) is concerned, I use stock plugins almost exclusively. But for more creative effects - stuff like distortion, chorus, saturation etc. - I tend to favor third-party ones.

How about YOU?

P.S. I for one believe there's nothing wrong with either extreme end presented in the poll.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Why d'you wan-ta know dat for?

Kinh wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:51 pm Why d'you wan-ta know dat for?
Simple curiosity.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Ableton has a plenty of utilities that allow to stack and control plugins in a modular fashion. But other than that, I don't expect too much from onboard instruments. Got a fine selection of top synths for every sound design task imagineable, as well as hand-picked effects for great sound or utility.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Maybe it’s just me, but I use several DAWs, so I find it’s for more convenient to use my fav third party plugins in all DAWs than it is to use different stock plugins for each DAW. When I do use stock plugins, it tends to primarily be effects like EQ, compression, reverbs, and delays.
Kinh wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:51 pm Why d'you wan-ta know dat for?
Why d’you wan-ta know why he wan-ta know dat for?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

similar to you, basic stuff, let stock plugins do their thing.
when i want character, that's a third party thing, with carefully chosen tools over the years, that have become part of my sound :o

I used to use loads of 3rd party ones, now probably half and half.
Standard compression duties I'm happy with stock ones.

Even reverb I happily use the stock IR verb (though I mostly use 3rd party IRs).

Delays - I still use one or two 3rd party ones but for simple delays I find myself using Cubase Multitap more and more - quite a powerful delay under the hood. Valhalla delay is hard to beat for really lush delays though.

I might even start using the stock maximiser too - tested it out against Ozone recently and though Ozone is better at brickwall, it sounds quite unclean to me - at low levels my stock one is cleaner. Doesn't compare with the expensive ones but to me that extra expense is not worth it for limiting.

Panning etc - stock.

Filters - I actually like the Cubase various filtery FX, so stock too.

Chorus I pretty well only use onbaord synth chorus - don't use it on other stuff. Same with flangers - I rarely use them.

Synths - lots of hw but I do use some plugins and they're ALL 3rd party. I find the Cubase synths pretty awful TBH.

While stock plug ins can be very, or even extremely good too, chances are higher that you will find some third party plugins picked from one of the gazillions available that do and sound exactly as you'd like than the in comparison handful ones inside your DAW.

In my case as a Reaper user, i'm using and loving ReaPitch, it's - as the name suggests - pitch shifter
I'm also using it's gate plugin

It's new limiter is great aswell, but i already have a great third party one
compressor and convolution reverb are great too, but i still have slightly more advanced third party options

instruments wise, Reaper is probably the weakest DAW available by far, so third party stuff any day of the week for me
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:34 pm instruments wise, Reaper is probably the weakest DAW available by far
Yeah, that much is true.

Oddly enough, I'm feeling inspired to see what I could make in an electronic track using only ReaSynth and mangling it in different ways...
My solo projects:

Stock for utility duties; 3rd party for most everything else.

Between 3 and 4
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I voted 3. A couple of the stock Reaper plugins I like enough (the gate comes to mind) that I use the VST versions elsewhere also.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

I voted for both with equal frequency. I took a class in Ableton, but I have Logic Pro from the ProApps bundle. The 3rd party plugins I use are more so because I have Ableton Lite and Intro and those editions are lacking a lot of the built in versions. The consistency of having the same tool across both DAWs is nice, but I find a lot of the stock ones to suit me just fine as well.

I should also mention that I went with option #4, although it's not entirely true for me. For me, it would be more like:

I use mainly third-party plugins and only use stock ones if necessary for a certain sound for tracks that just need some very minor/basic editing (e.g., EQ, compression)
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

in today's day and age its a false dilemma

Return to “Production Techniques”