Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, my laptop is a 4K resolution touchscreen. My ideal, would be to define those that are 4K or high dpi and work with touchscreen. However, my laptop screen it’s not very big, so most apps would fail the touchscreen test. As well as reaper. So I’m just sticking with high dpi for right now. But that is an ultimate goal. I’ve been looking at using Touch OSC as an all in one touch screen interface with transport and midi control. This may be the best way to go about it for right now.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Fathom and Kontakt are working in the new AVLinux.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Plugin Boutique are teamed up with Bitwig, to give away Bitwig 8 Track with any purchase, so I took the plunge, and now have the latest version installed and running
in Bodhi Linux, a Ubuntu spinoff that uses the Moksha desktop environment, derived from the long-running Enlightenment environment, so it's fast and deeply configurable. Bitwig seems quite at home there, as do the great U-he linux versions.

Bitwig-8Track-4.1.6-U-he-Repro 1.jpg

To qualify for the free Bitwig, I found an inexpensive but useful plugin from Soundspot, 'Kara', an envelope generator with compressor-like audio input, designed to glue disparate tracks into a more cohesive unified sound. It's a windows version wrapped by yabridge, shown below. Very nice gui, and has a delay unit built in.

Soundspot Kara.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A nice surprise, I updated my Bodhi Linux, and also wine-staging up to V. 7.4,
and Reason Rack plugin is now working. 8) In the photo, it has Europa Synth,
Dr.OctoRex playing a beat, with sound sent to a pair of NI Replika delays.
Gotta go find my collection of rex loops now!

Bodhi is a classy ubuntu spinoff, been around for years, and uses the Moksha
desktop environment, derived from Enlightenment, so it's fast, and full of configuration options. Monday instead of Friday? Still very good news.

There are good sales on Propellorhead products, so keep an eye out.
Part of being a registered user is logging to your account at the start of your session,
but I can live with that, while exploring Europa and the Reason classics, like Thor,
that may be considered ancient, which doesn't matter to me, as I've never heard it yet! :hyper:

ReasonRackBodhiLinux.jpg

Stochas sequencer hosting ProteusVX for drums, and sending out to Reaktor running the dice-rolling drum machine, Polypex.
Granny always said beats are good for you :hyper:

Stochas-Polyplex-ProteusVX.png
Stochas-drumming.png

Bitwig 8-Track is showing up as a bonus or free download sometimes, so it's a good way to test it's compatibility and capabilities. The install includes a 30 day trial of the full version, if desired. In the pic, I have a Bitwig E-harp sound, and the fine Odin2 synth playing a chilly pad preset. Bitwig 16-Track is an affordable version that still offers lots of sound sculpting, and the drag&drop effects section, which can be a decent ampsim if you choose your plugins wisely.

In my AVLinux setup, I had to install libxcb-ewmh2 as a dependancy, so launch Bitwig from a terminal, and watch the output for clues, if at first it has some issues. Bitwig uses a lot of Java, so a solid install of a recent Java engine would be good luck. And a thankyou to the Bitwig overlords for giving out their Surge synth source code, which in capable hands, has become a world-class synth & effects setup, among very tough competition :hyper:
Cheers

Bitwig-8Track-4.16-Odin2.jpg

Amplitube 5 here in Bodhi Linux, effecting a SynthMaster One guitar sound
with a Roland Jazz Amp 120, and sent to rakarrack for more effects. While A5 is still pretty jumpy in linux as gui's go, I hope newer wine updates will smooth things out as well as V4 works. Sure sounds jazzy enough for me :hyper:

A5-SynthMaster_One-rakarrack.png

Got kids needing a summer project? It's IK Multimedia group-buy time for the new Syntronik 2, (currently buy-one for $49.95, and get 13 more free, up to 32 freebies, if enough people join the group.

https://youtu.be/nhdzgW24_-U

It was easy to install and authorize, once familiar with IK's quite comprehensive account system. I installed the free Custom Shop version, which provided around 100 presets from various synths in the collection. I used Bodhi Linux, a ubuntu spinoff with Moksha (Enlightenment) desktop, with wine-staging 7.7 and windows Reaper. There are around 3.5 gig of samples. I installed the 4 folders of extracted content manually, by dragging them into

/home/me/drive_c/users/public/Documents/IK Multimedia/Syntronik 2

Authorization was pasting the serial number from my account, when prompted at startup.

The sounds are very well done, musical, and lacking OTT effects nonsense. The screenshots show the editor and effects panels. Effects are drag-n-drop to re-order, with nice big controls, as found in their MixBox effects software. Four layers make for great synth multi's
that will keep Granny guessing until a layered set of pads puts her to into a deep sleep.

Syntronik2-bodhi-wine-7-7.jpg

Syntronik2-editor.png

Syntronik2-effects.png

The group buy promotion is valid from April 19, 2022 through May 19, 2022. You can claim your free products from your IK User Area for a period of 30 days after the closing date of the promotion.

This is Carbon Electra, commissioned by www.pluginboutique.com

It has 4 oscillators, multiple types of synthesis, an arpeggiator, several effects, a range of filters, and sounds a bit like Air's Hybrid 3, KV331's SynthMaster One, and U-he's Repro 1. The gui has readable font sizes with proper contrast, and all the controls are on the main panel, so an experienced sound designer should make new sounds easily. To register, open the file loading menu, and paste a keyfile, and restart the plugin.

At $50 when not on sale, it's an affordable commercial product that when wrapped with yabridge, runs in linux Reaper and wine-staging 7.8, in Ubuntu 20.04 spinoff, Bodhi Linux. And likely also in similar setups.

CarbonElectra-Reaper.png

I found MODO Drum CS in my IK account (a freebie), so finally got around to installing it, and it's working in Bodhi linux with either windows or linux reaper, and wine-staging 7.8. Sounds and looks fine, only tested as a drum rompler so far.
Took about 30 seconds to scan in linux Reaper, after wrapping with command
yabridgectl sync

MODO-Linux.png

This is Bodhi Linux with wine-staging 7.9 and linux Reaper, with Kontakt hosting the excellent West Africa library, and Reaktor 6 kosting the great
Razor synthesizer, wrapped by yabridge or linvst for use in linux daws.

These are all part of Komplete 13, which is at 50% summer of sound sale price for a few weeks. Native Access gets things done, but to do an update, you might have to use their registry editor, uninstall an existing version, or fetch the latest Native Access...fiddly bits, but not rocket science, and well worth the steps for accessing their mostly excellent products.

This also worked in a newly installed Ubuntu Studio, with the slightly newer wine-staging 7.10

K6-R6.jpg

Ah, now that is interesting.

To the extent that moods and occurences effect the music one creates,
Komplete content covers a lot of possibilities, styles and genres.

Someone in the kvr Marketplace has Komplete Select 11 for $45, which qualifies a new owner for a healthy discount on the latest full version.
Cheers

Finally, or is it beginningly, a clap plugin in a clap daw in Ubuntu Studio :hyper: U-he's great Hive 2, in the Bitwig 4.3 beta 6, likely in each active Bitwig account. Had me groveling throughout the internet for guidance, but pdxindy, Bitwig support and tasmaniandevil all pitched in. In retrospect, my memory and logic are :scared: but so happy to have some success :hyper:

Hive-claps.jpg

Finally can load multiple parts in SampleTank 4 :hyper: using wine-staging 7.11, Reaper 6.60, and ST4 wrapped for linux by Yabridge plugin wrapper. I loaded an ST4 Pedal Steel Guitar, and from Syntronik sounds, an SY-99 chime, and a JP60 pad.
Looking forward to creating useful and fun combis, as ST4 is 16 part multi-timbral,
and in working order.

ST4indahaus.jpg

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”