Recording classical/opera singer

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hallo!

I try to record female opera singer with M-Audio Nova condenser mike and M-Audio Preamp.

When singer stands close to mike sound is recording good in a middle range and with piano and mezzo forte dynamic, but when there are higher notes and forte dynamic it's distorted and CLIP.

When singer stands about 1m far from mike there are no distortion and CLIPS in highs with forte, but piano and mezzo forte doesn't sound good. It's like from distance.

I was trying to increase or reduce input level in preamp, but it not helps.

Do You have any advice for this?

Thank You.

Is there a vacant concert hall nearby?

No joke. The dynamic range you try to capture is insane. A soprano can exceed 100dB and big diaphragm condensors don't take that loud too well.

It sounds better (more natural) in a big room from a distance. Then I'd use a small electret mike.

The alternative is to teach the singer some basic mic technique: with soft parts "eat" the mike, with loud parts literally step back.

It can be done with handheld dynamic mikes as well, as demonstrated here (time 3:00 and onwards)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plCScjvDOJM
Last edited by BertKoor on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I can't say that I've ever recorded a good opera singer, but a few thoughts come to mind and an obvious question: what is the room that you are recording her in? Is it a vocal booth, your bedroom studio, or....?

I would probably position her a few feet from the mic to start and maybe have her lean/move in for quieter passages and back off (or maybe even off-axis) for louder passages. I've also heard of people using two mics to record opera singers, one low gain and one high gain, if that's a possibility.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The room i record is a corridor in a house. There is natural reverb, which helps classical singer to hear herself. Yes, concert hall would be great.

edit: Advice from other poster is best.
Last edited by Eddunz on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 pm I can't say that I've ever recorded a good opera singer, but a few thoughts come to mind and an obvious question: what is the room that you are recording her in? Is it a vocal booth, your bedroom studio, or....?

I would probably position her a few feet from the mic to start and maybe have her lean/move in for quieter passages and back off (or maybe even off-axis) for louder passages. I've also heard of people using two mics to record opera singers, one low gain and one high gain, if that's a possibility.
This is gold advice.

"lean/move in for quieter passages and back off (or maybe even off-axis) for louder passages"

This. Similar to previously mentioned and depending on the situation, you might have a backup microphone recording nearby to work with if she starts clipping. Or even set up two together and have one turned down-- now you have a backup to work with that doesn't clip. Otherwise, that gain has to go down when they get louder, somehow.

Opera singers aren’t pop divas, so I wouldn’t expect her to be able to perform mic dynamics. That’s a skill that is learned over years of performing with mics, which is something opera singers don’t do. Their training is all projection all the time.

I do like the idea of setting up 2 mics. I’d use a matched pair if at all possible. Then crossfade from the close mic to the far mic as needed in post.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Get her some mic training. She learned how to shatter glasses from five blocks over; she can learn other forms of voice control. Failing that, maybe try a good high-spl dynamic mic, and look into distance miking (which is a good way to add depth anyway).
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Return to “Production Techniques”