FL Studio Tricks...Better Name!! :-)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FL Studio: The Frequency Splitter ... perhaps the best of it´s kind!

Every detail of the plugin got exposed... with lots of examples!

https://youtu.be/HlNcUpCfwGI

FL Studio: Are you still switching tools??

Please let me show you a perhaps better and faster way!

https://youtu.be/bW1hVLbBXV0

FL Studio: New year...New beta!!

Feature walkthrough the changes of the beta from Jan, 22nd 2022...

https://youtu.be/uj1Q137jTos

Dude, just knock it off already! You're forcing me to use FL Studio again. :x :hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Good! :D

muting is double right-clicking and works in all three modes (and in the playlist editor too)

ps. not started to benchmark it which is the fastest method for selecting the tools: middle+right context menu /selecting from the top / right + mouse middle scrolling
luckily hardly ever have to use to them
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:41 pm muting is double right-clicking and works in all three modes (and in the playlist editor too)

ps. not started to benchmark it which is the fastest method for selecting the tools: middle+right context menu /selecting from the top / right + mouse middle scrolling
For me the best workflow method is definitely the 'Right-click + Mousewheel scroll' ~ which I mainly use to switch between the Pencil and Paintbrush tool, since pretty much all other functions can be achieved using just these two tools tools + key modifiers and/or mouse gestures.

As you mention, the double Right-click for the mute tool is an excellent one.

This one is slightly more esoteric, but it's quite useful when adjusting chord progressions, since it can simultaneously adjust the start/end points of chords either side of your mouse cursor: hold Left-Shift + Left-click drag either the start or ends of notes to move all timecode correspondent notes without having to pre-select any of them (adding 'Alt' to also disable grid snapping, for fine adjustments).

xbitz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:41 pm muting is double right-clicking and works in all three modes (and in the playlist editor too)
Sorry... I don´t understand ...
Already the first right click deletes the event, clip or whatever...and the second right click goes into empty space then...

MrJubbly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:38 pm

For me the best workflow method is definitely the 'Right-click + Mousewheel scroll' ~ which I mainly use to switch between the Pencil and Paintbrush tool, since pretty much all other functions can be achieved using just these two tools tools + key modifiers and/or mouse gestures.

As you mention, the double Right-click for the mute tool is an excellent one.

This one is slightly more esoteric, but it's quite useful when adjusting chord progressions, since it can simultaneously adjust the start/end points of chords either side of your mouse cursor: hold Left-Shift + Left-click drag either the start or ends of notes to move all timecode correspondent notes without having to pre-select any of them (adding 'Alt' to also disable grid snapping, for fine adjustments).
In general, I was very surprised what many people stated as their prefered workflow and especially this right click hold scroll method I find personally very weird...
How can this be more convinient or faster than hitting i.e. P or B on the keyboard... but anyway...

Luckily FLS offers multiple ways to achieve stuff and everybody can choose his/her favourite... :tu:

"Already the first right click deletes the event" double right-clicking ... on an empty are :)

Double Right-click + Hold (Mute Tool Selection Method):
Trancit wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:28 pm
Already the first right click deletes the event, clip or whatever...and the second right click goes into empty space then...
Double-Right-click (and keep depressed on second click) switches to the Mute tool.

When second Right-click is released, it switches back again to the originally selected tool.

Right-click + Scrollwheel (Tool Selection Method):
In general, I was very surprised what many people stated as their prefered workflow and especially this right click hold scroll method I find personally very weird...
Perhaps it depends on each user's particular finger/button placement. For me, it is extremely intuitive (I can change between all tools in a fraction of a second using this method, if needs be).
How can this be more convinient or faster than hitting i.e. P or B on the keyboard... but anyway...
Because 95% of the time, my right hand is on my mouse, but my left hand is not on my typing keyboard. I can touch-type, but generally need both hands on the keyboard to switch between P (with my right hand) and B (with my left).

Failing that, I would need to look away from the screen, down to my keyboard to locate the relevant key just with my left hand only (since my right hand is on the mouse).

That is much slower than simply Right-click + scrollwheel (takes a fraction of a second) while also not needing to look away from the screen = extremely efficient and intuitive. :D

Off tangent ~ I also prefer to...
Hold both Left-click + Right-click while Draging Mouse (Fine Adjustment for DAW Knobs & Slider Controls):

...Rather than Holding Ctrl while Left-click + Draging Mouse for that same DAW functionality.

i.e. Wherever possible, I generally find mouse-only methods faster than mouse + keyboard or just keyboard shortcuts. I don't mind too much if the relevant key modifiers are just the usual Shift, Ctrl, Alt variety ~ as these are easy to find with the left hand without needing to look away from the screen (which is less efficient). But other less accessible keys generally slow me down a bit.
Last edited by MrJubbly on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

can't see so what about a tutorial about swing to drums :idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5IhCrGASP4
Does only the channel rack/piano roll support it?

wanted to use it as in Cubase in the playlist and after an hour of struggling I'm a bit unhappy
in Cubase it's super easy ... I know FL21 just have to wait it :D

MrJubbly wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:49 pm Double Right-click + Hold (Mute Tool Selection Method):
Trancit wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:28 pm
Double-Right-click (and keep depressed on second click) switches to the Mute tool.

When second Right-click is released, it switches back again to the originally selected tool.
Oh, that´s a nice one... I didn´t know that! :tu:

About the tool switching:

I fear I am too old!!
What you are doing with your mouse that falls into "acrobatics" for me... :hihi:

I do understand your point of view but I wouldn´t be able to use it this way...
...left and right click at the same time and which finger turns the mousewheel then?? :D

This would mean... index finger for the left button... ok... that´s possible for me...
But then I would need to use my ring finger for the right button and the middle finger on the mouse wheel... c´mon... the ring finger is only an accessory... it can't move properly and certainly not in a controlled way... :hihi:

For me it´s exactly the opposite... I always have my left hand on the keyboard and pressing keys is for me much more fluid than doing such acrobatics with my right hand fingers...

But again: luckily we´ve got all these different options and everybody can pick the ones that fit!

xbitz wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 pm can't see so what about a tutorial about swing to drums :idea:
Does only the channel rack/piano roll support it?

wanted to use it as in Cubase in the playlist and after an hour of struggling I'm a bit unhappy
in Cubase it's super easy ... I know FL21 just have to wait it :D
I fear V21 will not improve on this...

FLS is still far behind when it comes to the playlist...
As not being a linear DAW the playlist was originally not meant of doing all this work possible in normal sequencers...
For gol it was already a huge challenge to allow audio in the playlist not to speak of automation...

They left everything just on the midi side and this is still the case...perhaps some day... :pray:

How to tame too much stereo!!

With a Reese Bass as an example we go through the complete process what is necessary to get a solid result in stereo as in mono!

https://youtu.be/UEd9y_HavL8

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”