Analog Lab V vs 4 - Why have they destroyed the controls?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Examigan - yes that's just what I did. The sliders are then the same as AL4, but the rotrary knobs in AL5 are still on the same generic mapping. In AL4 these 8 knobs are all intelligently mapped to useful parameters.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I changed the first four knobs in v5 to settings that are just like in v4 for a preset and got it to work. It's just a pain to do that though, so I agree they should have left it alone.

holy CRICKEY! Are the going to leave it like this? DISFUNCTIONAL? I got a few updates, thinking this issue would be fixed, it isn't

I'm playing just the stand alone JUP8v4 using the ARTURIA KEYLAB61 and the controls are not going to the top and bottom.
this is really really REALLY really dumb. tried the J8v3 and it works as it should.

wow, just wow

wwjd wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:21 am I'm playing just the stand alone JUP8v4
And how exactly is this related to Analog Lab?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:43 pm
wwjd wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:21 am I'm playing just the stand alone JUP8v4
And how exactly is this related to Analog Lab?
because the other new plugins are suffering the same exact fate. fix one fix all

But most people here were talking about the macros in AL5 vs. AL4 and how they aren't targetting what they used to.

Examigan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 am But most people here were talking about the macros in AL5 vs. AL4 and how they aren't targetting what they used to.
Yes, the correct response there was to leap down someone else's throat for showing the same issue applies elsewhere. Very positive. Well done.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

it's the exact same problem.... thought I'd post it here instead of making a whole new thread about it.

it affects the stand alone instruments and I assume inside DAW versions, where the BRIGHTNESS is shown at the bottom - the same way it affects the Analog Lab. one size fit all

wwjd wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:33 pm it's the exact same problem.... thought I'd post it here instead of making a whole new thread about it.

it affects the stand alone instruments and I assume inside DAW versions, where the BRIGHTNESS is shown at the bottom - the same way it affects the Analog Lab. one size fit all
Could you please post a step by step of exactly what controls you are using when seeing this issue?

I have a Keylab 61 and Jup-8 V4, but not the older version. Is there another instrument in V Collection 8 that works like it should? I would be happy to take a look here and compare them.

JUP-8 V4, Vintage patch: Jupiter Bass, CUTOFF knob adjusts full range (Brightness at bottom), RES knob only goes up to around 85% (Timbre at bottom shows full range), when using mouse to push RES up all the way, then using knob to turn it down, it only drops to about 15%

JUP-8 V3 factory patch 14: Bass, both CUTOFF and RES function fully top to bottom

I don't have any other older versions loaded so I can't compare with any other synths

tried a couple others:
CS80 the bright and timber dont seem mapped to CUT and RES, so they were not affected
JUN6 also not mapped, so no issues
OB-Xa V also not mapped, but manually mousing the Bright and Timbre causes the RES to not show moving as far - yet the knobs still work 1-100% and doesn't turn TIMBRE
MINI V3 same: knobs work as is, not afffecting Bright and Timbre, but moving timbre or bright only movies cut and res so far

I checked how it is set up in JupV v4 and the macro for Timbre/Resonance was about 3/4 of the way up. I changed it to 1.0 and now it works with the full range.
JupV controls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WE have to adjust macros?? Do they stay that way?

not going to debate the reasons behind that weirdo programming, but I just want the hardware I paid for to keep working like it should with the software I also paid for. i shouldnt have to tweak macros

but thanks for explaining it. its still weird and dumb

No, it won't keep the setting for the next time you run the plugin, so you'd have to save it that way (as a new preset).

I don't have a Keylab keyboard, so I couldn't check any of the other issues you had mentioned.

wwjd wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:30 am JUP-8 V4, Vintage patch: Jupiter Bass, CUTOFF knob adjusts full range (Brightness at bottom), RES knob only goes up to around 85% (Timbre at bottom shows full range), when using mouse to push RES up all the way, then using knob to turn it down, it only drops to about 15%

JUP-8 V3 factory patch 14: Bass, both CUTOFF and RES function fully top to bottom

I don't have any other older versions loaded so I can't compare with any other synths

tried a couple others:
CS80 the bright and timber dont seem mapped to CUT and RES, so they were not affected
JUN6 also not mapped, so no issues
OB-Xa V also not mapped, but manually mousing the Bright and Timbre causes the RES to not show moving as far - yet the knobs still work 1-100% and doesn't turn TIMBRE
MINI V3 same: knobs work as is, not afffecting Bright and Timbre, but moving timbre or bright only movies cut and res so far
Thanks for the info!

My observations...

JUP-8 V4: I see what you are saying. This seems to be affecting the Keylab 61 mk II knobs 1-4 which are assigned to the macros, and those are not all initially assigned to adjust the target synth parameters at 100% range. But the sliders 1-8 that directly access synth panel controls are at 100% range (no macro knobs involved).

CS-80V: Keylab knobs 1-4 are not mapped to the Macro knobs. Instead, they are mapped directly to synth parameters Lowpass1 cutoff, Lowpass1 resonance, LFO1 speed, and LFO1 PWM, respectively (range 100%).

OB-Xa V: Keylab knobs 1-4 are not mapped to the Macro knobs. Instead, they are mapped directly to synth parameters Filter Frequency, Filter Resonance, Filter Modulation, and LFO Rate, respectively (range 100%).

Mini V: Keylab knobs 1-4 are not mapped to the Macro knobs. Instead, they are mapped directly to synth parameters Filter Cutoff, Filter Emphasis, LFO Rate, and Mod1 Amount, respectively (range 100%).

thanks! sounds like my macros are mapped to some knobs. I don't recall ever doing that ever, and dont even know how to. :) I just plug it in and start playing sound. :D
I'll try and pay more attention to why knobs are macro'd. still feels dumb to me :D

Return to “Instruments”