Desktop vs Laptop

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Except none of those things apply to most gaming laptops, so kindly pick your mic up and put it back on its stand before you go home.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Polomo123 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:49 am Why no Laptop ?
- Trackpad
- Ports
- Cleaning
- Upgrades

mic drop

Good Night
Trackpad - merely personal preference. Personally, my dodgy wrists thank me for using trackpads rather than mouses (except at work, where I have little choice). That can only be subjective to anyone.

Ports - Definitely you get more as standard on desktops, but it's really not uncommon to get 4 on a laptop nowadays. If you need more then 4 USBs for your music, I'd say you're doing something wrong, and I'm a h/w guy rather than s/w. Why would I need 6 or 8 USB ports?

Cleaning - You being serious? WTF do you do with your laptops? Use a tissue, man!

Upgrades - yeah you got that one. However, I suspect most just buy a new desktop rather than upgrade everything in it. I always did. Definitely easier to upgrade drives etc though. Internal soundcards - are they even still a thing? I thought most had external sound devices now even with desktops?

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 am
Michael L wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 amAnyone can google 'laptop ergonomics' and see reasons why
Really? Google lists your personal insights into things. Wow!
Yes.
Google 'laptop ergonomics Michael L' and my dislike of laptop ergonomics are the third result :)
The other 4,180,000 results are people who agree with me that laptops have poor ergonomics :hug:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

So that's 4.1 million out of 7 billion who agree with you, or 0.05% of the population. The silent majority clearly believe, as I do, that laptop ergonomics are brilliant.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:38 amSo that's 4.1 million out of 7 billion who agree with you, or 0.05% of the population. The silent majority clearly believe, as I do, that laptop ergonomics are brilliant.
That could not be more true!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:26 am
Polomo123 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:49 am Why no Laptop ?
- Trackpad
- Ports
- Cleaning
- Upgrades

mic drop

Good Night
Trackpad - merely personal preference. Personally, my dodgy wrists thank me for using trackpads rather than mouses (except at work, where I have little choice). That can only be subjective to anyone.

Ports - Definitely you get more as standard on desktops, but it's really not uncommon to get 4 on a laptop nowadays. If you need more then 4 USBs for your music, I'd say you're doing something wrong, and I'm a h/w guy rather than s/w. Why would I need 6 or 8 USB ports?

Cleaning - You being serious? WTF do you do with your laptops? Use a tissue, man!

Upgrades - yeah you got that one. However, I suspect most just buy a new desktop rather than upgrade everything in it. I always did. Definitely easier to upgrade drives etc though. Internal soundcards - are they even still a thing? I thought most had external sound devices now even with desktops?
Trackpad, I don't like it
feels slow

For my Studio PC USB Ports
-Mouse
-Tipping Keyboard
-88 Hammerkeys Keyboard
-Panoram Nektar
-Maschine Jam
-Maschine MK2
-Sometimes a USB Stick for Backups
-Externel HDD
(
6-8 Ports)

On my new Laptop I got 2 USB 3.0 A ports and 1 USB C port
-Mouse (For me, a Trackpad is just if I have nothing other)
-Midi-Controller (Key)
-USB-C Hub with 3 Ports
-USB- Drive
-External Drive for Samples (again thanks to the poor upgradebilty of the Laptop)
-Midi Controler (Mackie Style )
(2 -5 depending on setup)

Cleaning in terms of inside the laptop (When did you last time clean the fans of yours ? On my PC I do this every 6 months ...5 min of work
for my Laptop 30 min because of the screwless cliped what every designs )

Michael L wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:31 am
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:07 am
Michael L wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 amAnyone can google 'laptop ergonomics' and see reasons why
Really? Google lists your personal insights into things. Wow!
Yes.
Google 'laptop ergonomics Michael L' and my dislike of laptop ergonomics are the third result :)
The other 4,180,000 results are people who agree with me that laptops have poor ergonomics :hug:
Total Agree here

German ArbStättV says :
https://www.komnet.nrw.de/_sitetools/dialog/3258
-Laptops are problematic
- Monitor is not turnable/adjustable
-Keyboard can't be separated from Monitor to get the perfect distance between Eyes and Display
-Should be uses with a Dockinstation ,Mouse , Keyboard (extern) to become same standard in Ergonomic than a Desktop PC.

Polomo123 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:54 am
Trackpad, I don't like it
feels slow

For my Studio PC USB Ports
-Mouse
-Tipping Keyboard
-88 Hammerkeys Keyboard
-Panoram Nektar
-Maschine Jam
-Maschine MK2
-Externel HDD
(
6-8 Ports)

On my new Laptop I got 2 USB 3.0 A ports and 1 USB C port
-Mouse (For me, a Trackpad is just if I have nothing other)
-Midi-Controller (Key)
-USB-C Hub with 3 Ports
-USB- Drive
-External Drive for Samples (again thanks to the poor upgradebilty of the Laptop)
-Midi Controler (Mackie Style )
(2 -5 depending on setup)

Cleaning in terms of inside the laptop (When did you last time clean the fans of yours ? On my PC I do this every 6 months ...5 min of work
for my Laptop 30 min because of the screwless cliped what every designs )
I understand not liking trackpads - I don't like mouse. But that's spurious - you're using 2 ports for keyboard/mouse on the desktop that you don't even need on the laptop because it's already onboard. The extra 2 ports needed on a desktop are an obvious limitation not a reason to crow about them being better. So minus 2 ports already.

-88 Hammerkeys Keyboard
-Panoram Nektar

perfectly reasonable.

-Maschine Jam
-Maschine MK2

Really? You're basically using the same tool twice. Sounds like making up reasons to have a go at laptops. No way you NEED 2 of the same sequencers. So minus another port for confabulation.

C'mon mate, stop making it up. No way you're making backups on the fly while you're recording. You're just not. Nobody does. And you already styated you have a USB hub on your laptop. Minus another port for making it up again.

-Externel HDD
Possible but unlikely. Most I know that use samples heavily use them on internal drives - external slow for that sort of thing. External HDD for backups etc yes. Again not while you're recording etc. Minus another one for making it up.

So...you actually need 3 ports. And you use a hub with your laptop. Use a hub with your desktop. Same difference, same lack of effecting your workflow and performance.

See, I can understand preference for desktops. There are definite advantages. But just making shit up doesn't wash at all.

you could also use bluetooth mice which won't take up any USB ports
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I still cant imagine primarily using a laptop for music.
I still know people who cant imagine using a desktop.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 am I still cant imagine primarily using a laptop for music.
I still know people who cant imagine using a desktop.
I know a guy who uses:
- desktop + Logic for production
- laptop + Ableton /Push for performing.
I think that's a good use of the strength of each: ergonomics & portability
Last edited by Michael L on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Yea, that^ seems the most logical, to me, also.
Strengths and weaknesses and whatnot.
Theres some reality bending posts in this thread.
ImageImageImageImage

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm -Maschine Jam
-Maschine MK2

Really? You're basically using the same tool twice. Sounds like making up reasons to have a go at laptops. No way you NEED 2 of the same sequencers. So minus another port for confabulation.
They're not even remotely comparable. They complement each other.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

-Maschine Jam
-Maschine MK2
kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm Really? You're basically using the same tool twice. Sounds like making up reasons to have a go at laptops. No way you NEED 2 of the same sequencers. So minus another port for confabulation.
You just disqualified your self with this statement, you have no clue what you're talking about :dog:
csm_ni_maschine_jam_IMG_7258_dab598b903.jpg
(On the Picture is a Maschine Studio and the Jam side by side to see the difference )

Maschine and Jam are different things.
The Maschine is a finger drumming Pad, the Jam is a Step sequencer, I like both from time to time
The Maschine is more for dynamic playing, the JAM is more for static.
(like antice604 wrote They complement each other in other things )
And the wonderful thing about my Desktop. I don't have to manage which one I like better. And have still 4 free Port :o

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm C'mon mate, stop making it up. No way, you're making backups on the fly while you're recording. You're just not. Nobody does. And you already styated you have a USB hub on your laptop. Minus another port for making it up again.
-Nope.
IMG_20220126_123856[1].jpg

I lost my whole work when I was 19 Years
a whole 80Gb HDD back in the days since then I became a bit paranoid with Backups
I'm not making anything up , I'm just the 0.1% paranoid musicians with bad experience without a proper Backup then and now a bit oversensitive when it comes to these things
Also, USB Devices are not unlimited plug and unplug . USB 1.0 had only 500 cycles later 2.0 1500 (any many of my Cables are only 2.0 )
I normally do every hour a Backup, so on a normal day this would be 10 in and outs . In half a year, this Port would just break (with your style of work and my preferences )

-Externel HDD
kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:11 pm Possible but unlikely. Most I know that use samples heavily use them on internal drives - external slow for that sort of thing. External HDD for backups etc yes. Again not while you're recording etc. Minus another one for making it up.
ku.JPG
-even my KOMPLETE 13 Ultimate requires a 2 TB HDD alone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Polomo123 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Latest laptops are so powerful. For instance, even Rayzen 7 5700U has up to 4.3GHz. 8 CPUs and 16 threads. I think this would handle anything. But yeah, 15 inches suck.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”