New Plug-In: Blue Cat's Connector

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Connector

iOS is not in the plans right now. If you intend to stream thru Wifi, it is a no-go anyway (Wifi is not reliable enough to stream audio in real time).

You cannot sync two DAWs with a plug-in, unfortunately. You can stream adio & MIDI between them, but their timeline won't be in sync.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 pm Sure, you can even do that between machines running MacOS and Windows. Beware that you may have to take time to find out the best buffer settings to minimize latency, and you will need an instance of Connector for each audio stream.
[/size]

I would then assume the buffers need to be set for the lesser machine specs and then matched by the more powerful one?
Also, will this allow for more than one instance on the hostserver side? (As in a case to run more than one off-loaded computer simultaneously?)
[/quote]
You will indeed end up using a buffer size that is at least the same of larger than the buffer size of the slowest machine if you are doing a roundtrip.

You can use as many instances/servers as you which. It depends on the type of routing you are looking for.

We have not tested the plug-in with WINE yet, but I guess it should work fine, just like our other plug-ins.

:lol: You might want to heavily spam any Camel Audio Alchemy topics out there,
as it seems a great candidate for your core purposes. The broken-hearted left behind when Camel left for the orchard, could get the cheapest most decrepit macs that will launch Alchemy, and offload it's cpu hit to some cheap crazed i-11 44 core beastmode windows crate. Topped off with Axiom, of course :hyper:

:lol:

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:36 pm iOS is not in the plans right now. If you intend to stream thru Wifi, it is a no-go anyway (Wifi is not reliable enough to stream audio in real time).

You cannot sync two DAWs with a plug-in, unfortunately. You can stream adio & MIDI between them, but their timeline won't be in sync.
So this is basically not very useful for daw to daw audio/midi send/receive for practical purposes?

Musical Gym wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:08 am
So this is basically not very useful for daw to daw audio/midi send/receive for practical purposes?
[/quote]
It depends on how you work with DAWs: there are many things you can achieve without the need for transport sync.

Musical Gym wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:08 am So this is basically not very useful for daw to daw audio/midi send/receive for practical purposes?
Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 am It depends on how you work with DAWs: there are many things you can achieve without the need for transport sync.
Thanks. I hope you can post a daw to daw video soon. As I posted in this or the other BC thread, I'm not getting it to work reliably. Audio seemed to be sending and receiving but stopped working, and recording audio/midi didn't work; then it stopped receiving altogether. No midi was sent/received.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:13 pm Can this be used systemwide?
Would love to use ARC3 on the my Mac output.

Also, does it host plugins so it can be used like Audio Gridder?
RogueAmoeba SoundSource is what you want for that. You can put any AU on your System audio, or, for that matter, on a single app's audio.

teilo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:00 pm

RogueAmoeba SoundSource is what you want for that. You can put any AU on your System audio, or, for that matter, on a single app's audio.
I would love something like that (or loopback) for Windows - but if BlueCat could get Connector running for apps that don't have VST support that would be a dream come true for me - could then process software like https://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/ or https://www.audiobulb.com/AUXTURE.htm directly

Thanks, I already use that. It doesn’t allow for audio input unfortunately. I use hardware synths and play them through my interface. It works great for everything else though.

simmo75 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:04 pm

Thanks, I already use that. It doesn’t allow for audio input unfortunately. I use hardware synths and play them through my interface. It works great for everything else though.
In that case you want Audio Hijack, same company. With Audio Hijack, you can setup a session that captures your synth audio input, runs it through AUs like ARC3, and then out to your audio interface.

The ideal setup is Loopback + AudioHijack. Loopback is like the old Soundflower, but you can create as many virtual interfaces as you want, and even do monitoring and channel mapping.

teilo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:53 pm
simmo75 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:04 pm

In that case you want Audio Hijack, same company. With Audio Hijack, you can setup a session that captures your synth audio input, runs it through AUs like ARC3, and then out to your audio interface.

The ideal setup is Loopback + AudioHijack. Loopback is like the old Soundflower, but you can create as many virtual interfaces as you want, and even do monitoring and channel mapping.
Awesome!
Thanks for this :)

But any VST/AU host could do the same…

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:47 pm But any VST/AU host could do the same…
No, a regular host cannot do what Audio Hijack does, and definitely not what Loopback enables. The original request was for doing it system-wide. Then the request changed to live monitoring of a synth, which a DAW could do, but it's way more efficient to use a tool designed for this use case. And Audio Hijack does way more. Multi ins, multi outs, effects, mixing, ducking, metering, A/B switching, etc., and is way more lightweight than any DAW is going to be, and way easier to setup.

fairlyclose wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:43 pm

I would love something like that (or loopback) for Windows - but if BlueCat could get Connector running for apps that don't have VST support that would be a dream come true for me - could then process software like https://www.giorgiosancristoforo.net/softwares/ or https://www.audiobulb.com/AUXTURE.htm directly
Could this work for you, possibly? https://www.nerds.de/en/loopbeaudio.html

I am interested in this, too, to route Sunvox into Renoise, Reaper, etc.

Return to “Effects”