Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

...and CPU intensive. :)

Probably, yeah. But then, it would be the same with any other developer as well, I think.

Ha, not necessarily. Depends how DSP processing is done (is it per sample or chunked in blocks), and a number of other factors.

Hmmm... I haven't noticed model 72 which I use very often and model 84 which I don't use that much having high asio load's.

rsp
sound sculptist

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They are not so cpu intensive. Even Modular isn't as much as I initially thought. After insertion of the first instance there is a higher consumption, but when I did add several instances more but the cpu hit didn't grow anymore

I became curious after ED's post.
For sure Softube doesn't seem to utitlize the vst3 at rest, no audio cpu saving's mode.
So I tested (not the same patch obviously, repros are both in HQ mode)

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

I do love to see a serious test. Thanks.

Introspective wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:58 am
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 am
Introspective wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:57 amThe Juno sound is one of the prototypical sounds of synthesis!
Hardly. Synths had been around for decades before there were any Junos and, even in their day, there were much better sounding synths. For prototypical, think MiniMoog, ARP 2600/Odyssey, Oberheim SEM and Korg MS-20.
I think you're confusing "prototypical" with "paragon" (or something). Of course there were lots of synths around before it. There were lots of synths around before the DX7 too, but would you claim that isn't a prototypical sound? Or the D-50? The M1? Wavestation? And, yes, there were lots of synths that sounded better. It was the number of Junos used and the pervasiveness of them in popular (and "popular" electronic too) music that make them a prototypical synth sound today. ...especially given how characterful and distinctive they are.

Arp, MiniMoog and MS-20, yes. Lots of music use those, they are part of the zeitgeist.

SEM ... probably not. That was less common and mostly only nerds even knew it existed. :) A great synth! I love them. ...but not a prototypical one. OTOH, the OB-8 / OB-X / OB-Xa ... clearly those are!
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:38 am
I suspect that why you're drawn to this synth has to do with that: since this is one of the synths that really defines synthesis, it probably appeals to that nostalgia in you.
There is no nostalgia in me, everything new is better than anything old, pretty much without exception.
Yes, I have gathered that about you over the years, and given your musical style. That's why I suggested the Model 84 speaks to you on a subliminal level. As a synth, it is ooooold. ;) There is nothing new about it! There must be some hidden reason it appeals to you. Deep-seated, unconscious nostalgia is my guess. :D
Synths were pretty much a nerd thing before the late 70's, so I agree that analog synths from the late 70's and early 80's made the classic, prototypical synth sounds known from zillions of records.

Do the synths from that developer still display aliasing?
I remember I was interested in one of those emulations some time ago, but in the thread on it people mentioned that there was aliasing, which I hate.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:48 pm Ha, not necessarily. Depends how DSP processing is done (is it per sample or chunked in blocks), and a number of other factors.
it makes difference sonically?

No, just a tiny bit of latency (i.e. if you chunk your processing in batches of 16 or 32 samples).

kmonkey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:18 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 pm If Softube does a OB-8 or OB-X one day, it'd be a insta-buy for me.
You usually buy plugins before you test them on your system?
Myself I don't have time to demo, I base all my purchases on sound, features, potential, facts and some (if available) reviews. I don't think this is unusual? I still haven't had any problem with software not working. It's not like I'm on a Mac ;)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Myself I don't have time to play synths, I just buy them to complain about them on KvR.

starflakeprj wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:18 pmMyself I don't have time to demo, I base all my purchases on sound, features, potential, facts and some (if available) reviews. I don't think this is unusual? I still haven't had any problem with software not working. It's not like I'm on a Mac ;)
Myself, I don't have time to listen to demos or read reviews, I just download the trial version and try it for myself.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”