(✖╭╮✖)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Feeling a bit cinematic this morning. Really rough and quick writing/headphone mix, but I think there's something there to be developed?

(✖╭╮✖) v7 | I think this is it?

(✖╭╮✖) v6 | new ending | new elements | getting close

(✖╭╮✖) v3

(✖╭╮✖) OG

(✖╭╮✖) Conception
Last edited by eassae on Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

eassae wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 pm Feeling a bit cinematic this morning. Really rough and quick writing/headphone mix, but I think there's something there to be developed?

(✖╭╮✖)
Loads of really great ideas there - particularly all the melodic fragments and sound combos...beginning was magical.

One aspect that slightly concerned me - you've sort of combined two different approaches here...

1) Your recent melodic, more experimental, quite dissonant style
2) More conventional chord based sections with very clear underlying traditional harmonies.

Yes they can definitely flow effectively from one to the other in the same piece, but it's a tricky move to put together successfully as the more dissonant sections can just sound 'out of place' after those chord-based stretches if you're not careful....

Some sort of transition is usually called for to let the listener's ear get used to the change if that makes sense?
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:17 pm
eassae wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 pm Feeling a bit cinematic this morning. Really rough and quick writing/headphone mix, but I think there's something there to be developed?

(✖╭╮✖)
One aspect that slightly concerned me - you've sort of combined two different approaches here...

1) Your recent melodic, more experimental, quite dissonant style
2) More conventional chord based sections with very clear underlying traditional harmonies.

Yes they can definitely flow effectively from one to the other in the same piece, but it's a tricky move to put together successfully as the more dissonant sections can just sound 'out of place' after those chord-based stretches if you're not careful....

Some sort of transition is usually called for to let the listener's ear get used to the change if that makes sense?
Yeah, that makes sense complete sense. And listening again, now a few hours later, I can really hear what you're talking about.

I also hear some nasty resonances in spots:/

Thanks, this is helpful :tu:
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

I think I may want to experiment with the panning, to bring focus on the sounds that call for clarity, such as the piano, the string, some mumbling radio-like spoken words at ~75% mark, while leaving other stuff back in the scene... But of course you may not want to trust my mixing taste 'cause you're way better at shaping sounds!! Love the unique textures.

shawshawraw wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:10 pm I think I may want to experiment with the panning, to bring focus on the sounds that call for clarity, such as the piano, the string, some mumbling radio-like spoken words at ~75% mark, while leaving other stuff back in the scene... But of course you may not want to trust my mixing taste 'cause you're way better at shaping sounds!! Love the unique textures.
I think you're exactly right. I've been working on it for the past 4 hours, and most of the time was spent getting clarity and position for the different voices. Probably have an update in a few days.

One thing I've been trying in the past few tracks I've worked on is using more layering. This one I'm want use layering to get that wall-of-sound feeling in certain parts. It's been a challenge for me.
eassae.com

I'm sure you'll find all the resonances in spots and other misbalanced things in the balance, as time comes for it )

As for the current arrangemt stage, like mr ChameleonMusic has said,
I think (basing on my own taste only) it'd be better to split conventional harmonical parts and experimental parts,
and give more conventional things like that pulsating bass,
which I'd make the basis of the track, like meat in a dish )
I'd also let the experimental parts be as transitions, like spice, but not like garnish.

Your previous track that I commented (somtin-somtin), was full of experimental flow, and once you've dove into the flow, you enjoy the flow, without feeling the ground, as there's no such.
But here, as you presented also the ground (conventional parts), the feeling totally changes, and it's like another type of entertainment, where you want more ground.
It's like diving vs chilling on the beach - the sea is in both cases, but once you stepped on the beach, you want to take off the diving suit and to have some cocktails )

But nevertheless it was worth listening and tl:dr:commenting )

BTW: Does anyone use Hive from U-He? I've had it for a while but never used it. WOW!
eassae.com

Can't upload things correctly:/

(✖╭╮✖) v3

Does anyone have strategies they use to fill the high frequencies when you're not using percussion? Is it necessary?

I threw in kind of a shaker thing here but…
eassae.com

It's got a very different vibe! Things are "in my face" and I pleasantly enjoyed the density.

Synth are thick and tasty ;) I may want to try some Pultec trick on rhythmic pulses to let the low end drive more air - if that works as I imagine!

eassae wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:40 pm Does anyone have strategies they use to fill the high frequencies when you're not using percussion? Is it necessary?

I threw in kind of a shaker thing here but…
I'm thinking of an acoustic guitar ;) ;) ;)

shawshawraw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:45 pm I may want to try some Pultec trick on rhythmic pulses to let the low end drive more air - if that works as I imagine!
That's a good idea! I'll try it.
eassae.com

shawshawraw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm I'm thinking of an acoustic guitar ;) ;) ;)
:clap:
eassae.com

shawshawraw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:45 pm I may want to try some Pultec trick on rhythmic pulses to let the low end drive more air - if that works as I imagine!
I replaced the file, now with Pultec trick. Worked like a charm. Thanks again!
eassae.com

eassae wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:11 pm I replaced the file, now with Pultec trick. Worked like a charm. Thanks again!
Yes!!! I can get it right at times :D

Actually this pinned my focus to the rhythm, and fed my anticipations in a good way. Maybe it's a little too much during the last 1/3, but that's all up to mood and taste!

shawshawraw wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm Maybe it's a little too much during the last 1/3, but that's all up to mood and taste!
Yeah, I'm going to try it in parallel, so I can mix to taste.
eassae.com

Return to “Music Cafe”