Being able to play an instrument

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harryupbabble wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:58 pm i wouldn't mind learning keyboard really well. when i see paul maccartney playing lady madonna on the piano, it sorta kinda adds credibility to his credit.
Harry we gotta stop being lazy 6 months is all it takes to learn an instrument all the rest is refinement

But then if you leave it a while you gotta start all over again , I got decent for a while and now I'm.shi again lol

When I had to, I was a half-decent player, although completely self-taught. I could play a rhythm or lead with one hand, a pad with the other and sing at the same time. But that was 35 years ago when I didn't really have much choice because my only sequencers were 2 x TB303s. These days, I can play with one hand or sing but I struggle to do both at once, unless it's a single held note kind of thing.

The thought of playing anything in never even crosses my mind. I've been doing it for so long now that translating what I've been playing into lines in the piano roll is second nature and requires little or no thought. I've always programmed drums on a step sequencer, from the TR606 I bought in 1982 right through to the age of piano rolls so, again, it would never occur to me to try and play them in. I only program a bar or two, then duplicate it across the song, so it's way quicker than playing it in. Later on, when the arrangement is in better shape, I'll go through and add fills and stuff.

It's probably because I've never valued musicianship that I can't see the point in taking lessons or just practicing to get better at playing. I rehearse a set until I've got it down pat but that's as far as I'll go and we have a few songs where I don't play anything at all because I'm too lazy to learn anything complicated.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I played drums for about 14 years and then learned to play piano after. Also I took music theory classes for couple years in college, but usually don't play live into the DAW as I am not as good as I'd like to be. :)
I almost always use the notation view to enter the notes, as I'm just used to writing the notes out on paper from the old days.

used to play live mainly guitar and some keys but due to arthritis (old age) i don't play much anymore and tend to plot midi key parts. although keys don't hurt as much as guitar when i do play lol guitar tends to be tighter hand positions as opposed to the keys which are a bit wider (easier on the hands)

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

What do you take for your arthritis? I've found that straight glucosamine tablets work really, really well. I took red krill oil for a few years and it had some effect but since I switched to glucosamine, it feels like it's completely gone. Although it's not, as my lumpy finger joints can attest.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

i'll look into it bones thnx... i take omega 3 mostly... that and aleve lol don't do pain killers well :(

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

At age 10 I started learning the alto saxophone - by 22 I had my own jazz band - We gigged and toured until I was 27, then my life took another path. I kept the sax for playing for pleasure, and soon after found the early music software. I used fruity loops back then.

I rarely recorded my saxophone playing into DAWs - then in 2010 I sold my horn - don't regret it - My life moved in another direction, but I kept doing computer based compositions.

The Jazz gave me deep music theory understanding - for the last 2 years I have not even used a midi keyboard and have found a new niche in making sounds that bring me peace and happiness.

Despite knowing all the scales, modes and chords and having spent decades playing the blues, in my computer music compositions, I rarely venture away from the basic folk music harmony of the pentatonic (1,flat 3rd,4th,5th,flat 7th).

I find it regrettable that so much 'music' in popular culture uses DAWs and plugins like 'painting with numbers' - our inability to leave the straight 4 beat for more vibrant alternatives is slightly disturbing. Of course, we also have the deep attachment to the hip hop groove , from which a lot of subgenre beats derive.

For my taste, the calypso and tango are far lighter, and happier beats to dance (or listen) to.
Zen

Devil's Claw can help with joint pain.
---

I came to music production after learning to play. Started with the simple desire to record my guitar and then I tripped and fell down a rabbit hole or seven.

Studying production with the aim to produce your own compositions without first knowing how to play sounds like a daunting task.

I do everything from nail it in real time to playing in in sections and largely constructing via editing, to pure pencil tool in the piano roll.
My chops with the latter are what they are beause of the playing experience. There are things a decade ago I would never try to pencil-write that today I can do (and fairly efficiently a lot of the time), so my chops and workflow have quite improved. all pencil tool

In September last year, I started a section I did not think I could execute except for playing the piano part, at least bits of it at a time. I am not a keyboardist, but I have a mutant, spasmodic way to get some fairly cute things spontaneously by my ruined hands. Hadda cut my losses there

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”