Softube "Dirty Tape"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone managed to install this on Windows 7? I got some Softube plugins installed already, but this one gives me trouble.

Softube Central asks me to install additional "helper software" for PACE (= Ilok), though I already have the Ilok licence manager installed.

If I click to install in Softube Central, it will download the "helper software", but subsequently fails to install. Then I'm stuck with this window in front of Softube Central that prevents me from accessing Softube Central and installing the plugin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ikaz7 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:23 am Anyone managed to install this on Windows 7? I got some Softube plugins installed already, but this one gives me trouble.

Softube Central asks me to install additional "helper software" for PACE (= Ilok), though I already have the Ilok licence manager installed.

If I click to install in Softube Central, it will download the "helper software", but subsequently fails to install. Then I'm stuck with this window in front of Softube Central that prevents me from accessing Softube Central and installing the plugin.
my avast virus scanner i must disable (i must disable it for many things), to let Softube Central work as expected.

perhaps a windows 7 thing, but virus scanners and installers (and some programs)... not a good combo

Ikaz7 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:23 am Anyone managed to install this on Windows 7? I got some Softube plugins installed already, but this one gives me trouble.

Try later - Softube was having server issues earlier

W10 is listed as a required OS so there you go. I had this thing added to my account, dowloaded and authorised in like a minute so I guess the servers are back to normal.

Win7 worked fine for me, but I downloaded the installer directly instead of using Softube central.
A well-behaved signature.

I've had the same issue for months. I'm on a Mac, btw and it was a problem on both Big Sur and Monterey. It always fails to install and prevents me from doing anything on Softube Central.
Last edited by Synthient Sound on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Softube Central is certainly the most temperamental installer app I know of. It seems to have a habit of regularly losing contact either with the ‘helper’ app or the iLok drivers. However I find a reboot always fixes those issues for me but I think they have made it over complicated with too many dependencies.

Pity the standalone installers are no longer available.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 pm Pity the standalone installers are no longer available.
Standalone installers are here:
https://www.softube.com/installer-windows
https://www.softube.com/installer-mac

:tu:

really nice from softube :tu: is it good?

beely wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:22 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 pm Pity the standalone installers are no longer available.
Standalone installers are here:
https://www.softube.com/installer-windows
https://www.softube.com/installer-mac

:tu:
Thanks - thought they had done away with those, just not easy to find

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:08 pm Thanks - thought they had done away with those, just not easy to find
I had the same problem. There *used* to be a link to these in small text under the "Softube Central" link in your account, but they've removed that link now by the looks. I spent ages looking for that page (that I knew was there, because I had the same problems looking for it the last time I bought something from them), as I dislike Softube Central and as a last resort I eventually tried it out of necessity, but it just kept telling me the site was down, so... not helpful.

Someone else re-pointed me to these installer pages, and I'd downloaded and installed the freebie in a couple of minutes without fuss. :tu:

kritikon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:29 am Hope it's better than their Saturation Knob. TBH that put me off trying Softube ever again - gave me a very bad first impression of them. Had to go through all the hassle of iLok just for a crap freebie that when set at zero gives you a loudness boost of 1.5dB, making it a bloody difficult thing to use anywhere and even A/B compare with anything. That would be a nightmare for any mixing IMO. Dubious at the very least. It smacked to me of trying to fool users by making it louder. Shame cos I've heard good things about some of the other Softube stuff, but that knob is dodgy in the extreme.
It has easy to use manual gain compensation now.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

sqigls wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:27 am without a mix control it's very limited.
A mix control (at least a regular/traditional one) doesn't really make sense if the effect messes with the timing/pitch of the signal, like Dirty Tape does if you set the Dirt knob to anywhere else than fully clean.

beely wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:19 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:08 pm Thanks - thought they had done away with those, just not easy to find
I had the same problem. There *used* to be a link to these in small text under the "Softube Central" link in your account, but they've removed that link now by the looks. I spent ages looking for that page (that I knew was there, because I had the same problems looking for it the last time I bought something from them), as I dislike Softube Central and as a last resort I eventually tried it out of necessity, but it just kept telling me the site was down, so... not helpful.

Someone else re-pointed me to these installer pages, and I'd downloaded and installed the freebie in a couple of minutes without fuss. :tu:
Weirdly enough, I had absolutely no problems finding the single installer yesterday when I downloaded Dirty Tape, but couldn’t find it anymore today.

I am more annoyed though that I cannot select the plugin formats in the installer. I really don’t need AAX nor VST2.
But it’s a nuisance with many companies, i checked the AVid folder on my system and there was more than a gig of AAX plugins from various companies (NI, XLN Audio, even Steinberg - and I have only Cubase installed…).

Return to “Effects”