My recurring yet unanswered strings Library question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe the Reason PM synth called Friktion.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ed-strings
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

how does one confuse 'strings sample library' with 'pulse modulation synthesizer'

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:48 pm how does one confuse 'strings sample library' with 'pulse modulation synthesizer'
Because it's actually a physical modeling synth not a pulse modulation synth, which you could have found out had you even clicked on the link.

I, too, have found this information very helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to figure out a solution.
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:04 am Would something with Marcato articulation do the trick? There must be plenty around.
I thought of Marcato as well, but it's still not fast enough of an attack. At least the ones I've tried so far (various stuff from Native Instruments).
DJErmac wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 am Another thing to consider is that strings naturally do not have a very hard attack.
Yeah. I actually think that might be what's happening. The sounds I have sound great for realistic strings. But I think we are looking for an attack that maybe goes outside of realism.

I am also looking at this for live performance, so creating offsets won't work.

As I was writing this up I realized I can maybe try Omnisphere. The one VST that probably has something like this is maybe SampleTank as it tends to have this type of bread and butter sound. For now, I have just what I need on my Yamaha keyboard so I have time to keep trying things.

Hi,
The sound I’m looking for is as realistic as what you can hear in this Elton John song I posted in my first message. So it’s really rreal! Strings played in a certain way. The same goes with Eleanor Rigby but with a smaller ensemble. Very hard to get this on a keyboard but Abbey Road two iconic strings could make it for Eleanor Rigby although I’m not entirely sure they provide this sustained notes with fast attack articulation.

Cheers.
Jean-Philippe Rykiel, the Blind one
My Soundcloud
My Facebook page

You have three possible options for what you want to achieve :
1/ find the strings library that has the fastest possible attack
2/ increase the attack of any strings library using transient plugins
3/ layer your strings : you can either layer another strings library and use only the attack by editing the envelope, or layer a spicatto strings library. Both will give an instant attack feeling.
And done.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

the thing we do from the vantage point of orchestration/not electronica is not sound designy stuff (frankly that's going to tell on you as far as realism), it's cut into the sample to give a blunter attack.
If Marcato is still too tame, it's either a crap marcato artic or the expectation is not so realistic. For violins et al, the fast attack is a forte, loud aggressive attack. You can't be sweet _and_ fast with the sound, that isn't how the instruments speak. It's literally more velocity.

I'm writing some strings material at the moment, I'm using VSL Synchron Strings Pro. I go from an expressivo p to a 'regular vibrato' in the Long Notes tree and the note right here jumps out at you, which requires enough velocity to.
This is far from an impossible articulation, you may not get it with budget and lame libraries.

DJErmac wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 am Another thing to consider is that strings naturally do not have a very hard attack.
Yeah. I actually think that might be what's happening.
The bow has to be brought to the string with enough energy. "naturally do not have" is not really a true statement.
one can be quite brutal with a bow to a string

jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 am
Yeah. I actually think that might be what's happening.
The bow has to be brought to the string with enough energy. "naturally do not have" is not really a true statement.
one can be quite brutal with a bow to a string
Well, strings libraries if you prefer.
You almost never encounter strings libraries that feature ensembles with super hard attack. Proof is that the OP is looking for one.
Only spicatto or marcatto do have strong attack, and it's not what he's looking for.

If it helps, I read once that Billy Currie, keyboard/violin player for Ultravox, used to layer a harpsichord sound with his strings to give them more attack.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:45 am If it helps, I read once that Billy Currie, keyboard/violin player for Ultravox, used to layer a harpsichord sound with his strings to give them more attack.
Proof of concept :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPZIGQcrHA

Return to “Instruments”