Reason 12.2.4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:09 amYeah, that's a good tip just pay attention that now Insert FX are - by default - processed after Mixer's dynamics and EQ sections (that can be changed, of course):
Will keep that in mind. thx
I've just removed all other DAWs I use (Logic, Renoise) from the dock in order to concentrate on Reason. Might change my mind a few weeks from now, but that's my mindset right now :)
void main(dumb)

antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:22 pm
Smasha wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:44 amThis guy here places notes in the midi editor to make the Reason Bass Generator change to those notes but when I do this,the midi notes play as well as the Bass Generator notes. In his example,the midi notes are silent but the Bass generator is changing notes following the midi notes.
You need to be in SEQ+KEY (or KEY) mode in Bassline Generator and then a long note - the length of the sequence - will dictate the root note of the sequence. In 1st mode the sequence is synced with transport, in 2nd with MIDI note.
The midi notes are still making sound when I put the Bass Generator in SEQ-KEY or KEY mode.

Plus there are chords being played when CHORDS is turned off in the SCALES and CHORDS player.

Drives me crazy this crap.

End up in a psych ward ,more time spent effing about with controls than getting anything done.

They are not very intuiitive at all to use.

Now which mode do I switch it too SEQ,SEQ-KEY or KEY to turn off the midi notes making sound in my DAW?

Every mode I set it too ,plays the sound of the midi notes but I just want them to change the note of the BASS SEQUENCER.

ARGH.

Smasha wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:22 pm
Smasha wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:44 amThis guy here places notes in the midi editor to make the Reason Bass Generator change to those notes but when I do this,the midi notes play as well as the Bass Generator notes. In his example,the midi notes are silent but the Bass generator is changing notes following the midi notes.
You need to be in SEQ+KEY (or KEY) mode in Bassline Generator and then a long note - the length of the sequence - will dictate the root note of the sequence. In 1st mode the sequence is synced with transport, in 2nd with MIDI note.
The midi notes are still making sound when I put the Bass Generator in SEQ-KEY or KEY mode.

Plus there are chords being played when CHORDS is turned off in the SCALES and CHORDS player.

Drives me crazy this crap.

End up in a psych ward ,more time spent effing about with controls than getting anything done.

They are not very intuiitive at all to use.

Now which mode do I switch it too SEQ,SEQ-KEY or KEY to turn off the midi notes making sound in my DAW?

Every mode I set it too ,plays the sound of the midi notes but I just want them to change the note of the BASS SEQUENCER.

ARGH.
Make screenshots of your sequencer and rack. I suspect what's wrong, but it's difficult to explain without being able to refer to specific setup you have there.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I gave up on Reason,I just can't stand the routing in it.

My mind starts losing interest in making music.

I thought moving the Scales and Chords player above the Bass Generator would automatically route the cables but it doesn't.

I am not very good at the maths part of DAWs,I am a musician since 7 years old.

I think I will play all the parts in myself to save hassle,these "Players" are designed for producers who think more like maths students.

I aint no producer,I'm a musician.

Reason has always intrigued me tbh. How well does it handle VST btw? Is it flawless or what? Anyway, The included instruments and effects and the 'modular' approach is and has always been very interesting.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pmReason has always intrigued me tbh. How well does it handle VST btw? Is it flawless or what?
Yeah, they work well. But - for now - it only supports VST2 (no AU or VST3) and does not support MIDI FX plugins that output MIDI (Scaler, Captain Plugins, Cthulu, etc.).
Music tech enthusiast

I don't know how it is in the current version of Reason, but, I had some issues with some VSTi's in Reason Intro 11, current version. Massive X showed a blank GUI, for example, when its GUI was closed and then opened again.

antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:44 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:41 pmReason has always intrigued me tbh. How well does it handle VST btw? Is it flawless or what?
Yeah, they work well. But - for now - it only supports VST2 (no AU or VST3) and does not support MIDI FX plugins that output MIDI (Scaler, Captain Plugins, Cthulu, etc.).
Thanks antic604 :) So you could not insert, lets say a filter plugin which has a midi input to drive the internal envelope, or am i wrong? I'm only giving an example here mind you :)
chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 pm I don't know how it is in the current version of Reason, but, I had some issues with some VSTi's in Reason Intro 11, current version. Massive X showed a blank GUI, for example, when its GUI was closed and then opened again.
Ah that is too bad. As far as i have read, you mainly use Cubase right, or am i wrong? Or do you use multiple DAWs perhaps?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

No, Studio One is my main DAW. Very rarely, I have Cubase AI installed, to test new versions a bit (like with Ableton, you get a new version of AI every time they release a new Cubase version :)).

Don't take it from me though... maybe the issue isn't present in Reason 12 anymore. I guess they constantly work on VST support. I only have Reason Intro, which was discontinued after version 11.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 pm No, Studio One is my main DAW. Very rarely, I have Cubase AI installed, to test new versions a bit (like with Ableton, you get a new version of AI every time they release a new Cubase version :)).

Don't take it from me though... maybe the issue isn't present in Reason 12 anymore. I guess they constantly work on VST support. I only have Reason Intro, which was discontinued after version 11.
oh i apologize then. For some reason i always thought you used Cubase, my bad. And yeah i suppose the guys/women at Reason do work a lot on VST support i would think. Anyway Reason seems to be an interesting DAW although i still work with energyXT which is my main daw but it only supports 32bit plugins. I do have Reaper (which is great) and LMMS aswell so no biggie actually. It is just that Reason has always been on my 'Try/Wishlist' so to speak :)

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:00 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:44 pm
Thanks antic604 :) So you could not insert, lets say a filter plugin which has a midi input to drive the internal envelope, or am i wrong? I'm only giving an example here mind you :)
No, that works just fine. Only VST plugins that OUTPUT midi don't work, although some of them - e.g. Scaler I think? - let you drag the MIDI clip out and that works.

Here's me using StutterEdit for example, that applies different FX depending on the MIDI notes it receives:

https://youtu.be/9AOhgrFYruc
Music tech enthusiast

Version 12.2.4 just landed :clap:

Atlatnesiti wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:44 pm Version 12.2.4 just landed :clap:
Any new sequencer features, lol?! ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:16 am
Release notes here.
Reason 12.2.4 Release Notes
Fixed a bug where the browser didn't refresh with updated content, e.g. an exported song and saved patch

Slight improvements to display performance in Rack Extensions

Minor improvements to ReFill handling

Reason no longer rescans already scanned Rack Extensions at startup

Minor improvements to processor thread handling

Windows specific fixes:

Auto-scale implementation for VSTs in Reason standalone

Improved scrolling in the Rack

Fixed an issue when starting Reason on early versions of Windows 10

Fixed a bug that would prevent opening files on external drives
Nothing of any interest to me, I'm waiting on Apple Silicon support. I'm willing to bet it runs badly under Rosetta so I haven't even installed it on the laptop yet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”