What's so great about Melda ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJErmac wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:50 pm I own everything from Melda and use some of their stuff all of the time.

Some of their plugins are my top choice everytime.

Mpowersynth is absolutely genius.
MTransformer is the best pitch shifter I know.
I’ve turned their multiband tremolo into my personal virtual multiband sidechain.
MFlanger is my favourite flanger.
MRecorder is a very simple tool I can’t live without.
MAutoDynamicEQ is unmatched to me.
Their doubler/chorus is one of the best I’ve seen around.

Every plugin is fully configurable, deeply editable, you know it always comes with a dry/wet, they never crash, quality is always there (meaning nothing sounds like s#it, they’re not always my first choice), you never encounter a new GUI you have to learn to use (once you know one you know them all), the word that comes to my mind is reliable.

I really love their tools.
Agree with this!

I only have MSoundFactory, MVocoda and the free bundle, the latter has some very useful tools that are hard to find elsewhere.
Last edited by Zipede on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I actually quite like the UI of the Melda plugins - it doesn't feel clunky at all to me. But I can see why not everyone would.

Then again, I also like REAPER's default UI, so who am I to talk? :P
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

I don't have a lot of stuff from them, but I can't complain about the ones I have here.
AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:35 pm I actually quite like the UI of the Melda plugins - it doesn't feel clunky at all to me. But I can see why not everyone would.

Then again, I also like REAPER's default UI, so who am I to talk? :P
This!
:lol:
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

Often overwhelming, but also frequently unique.

Can you name any alternatives for MTransform, MTurbo Reverb or MSpectral Dynamics? And how many plugins around use MB technology? Have you ever compared the sound of the MSF with others and taken a look at the possibilities it offers?

The rest is on you. There are easy screens already - and you can simplify them even further if you weant to.

I don´t regret any cent I spent on M, but they are not the majority here.

Fraggle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:58 am Melda stuff probably sounds ok, but I don’t want to wade through a high learning curve and a very unintuitive UI to get there.

That you must download all their plugins if you only want to demo 1 is another thing that I don’t like. Other companies do that too - I know.

Each to their own —- so, to the lovers of Melda stuff - please tell me , what is so great about their products ?
Some of their UIs are a bit love-it-or-hate-it, but mostly to me they sit in the middle somewhere. I don't love 'em, but they're OK and they are all easy to work out IMO. Some GUIs I hate - like Fabfilter - almost impossible for me to work with, so I don't. But Melda don't irritate me, and they do have some useful plugins.

D/l'ing all plugins - yeah that quite irked me when I bought MVocoder. 500MB download just for one plugin. Properly pissed me off, actually. I mean, it's easy to sort out in that you just install the one you want and then delete all the other crap, but I don't want to have to use up 500MB every time I want a single plugin. I guess they have their reasons but seems silly to me.

What's so great? I only bought MVocoder so I can't say about the others. But it has the most bands than all others except FL vocoder - which is no longer supported as a plugin. Because of this, to my ears it sounds better as a pure vocoder than all the others. Though others do esoteric and more varied things. But I wanted a vocoder, not a do-everything voice mangler. AND most importantly it was the best sounding but far and away the cheapest. Picked it up for $29 which is a silly price for a quality plugin. Best value for a long while IMO. The other vocoders ranged from $200-300 yet sounded worse to my ears. Easy choice to make. :tu:

I don't currently use them, but in the past I've used their freebies. They aren't super character or esoteric, but they firmly do the job without any fuss. They do exactly what they say on the tin, nothing more, nothing less and they sound usually pretty good. Form my limited experience their commercial plugins are the same - they don't try to do everything, but they do what they say very well, and they don't charge like wounded bulls.

I heard such great things from people who had Melda plugins that I tried their free bundle (or some of it at least). I'm also mostly in the middle. I didn't think anything about their plugins was bad, but nothing wowed me either. I just didn't mesh with it at all so pretty much gave up on it, but I would encourage others to try it, I know those who swear by them.

mixyguy2 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 pm I'm also mostly in the middle. I didn't think anything about their plugins was bad, but nothing wowed me either.
Same here... And I wasn't mad on the UI either.

Fraggle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:58 amMelda stuff probably sounds ok, but I don’t want to wade through a high learning curve and a very unintuitive UI to get there.
There’s no argument that Melda doesn’t do interfaces a lot differently than most, but if you spend 15-30 minutes watching their tutorials, you’ll find them very logically and uniformly laid out. Once you learn one, all the rest make sense. (Mostly, Mdrummer is still a bit wonky)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

MTurboDelay won the delay wars. That's all you need to know.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

To echo the others, I could never get past the GUIs (but read on…). I bought a few of their plugins years ago, but they didn’t do anything for me that other plugins I already owned didn’t also do, and the others were much more pleasant to look at. Honestly, I don’t think I’ve bothered to look at them since, but this thread prompted me to look at their website for the first time in years and I have to say, not are they no longer the eyesore that I recall, some of them are actually really nice looking. :tu:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 pm My only complaint about Melda is he spews every support and preset file for every plugin he makes on your hard drive even if you only install a single plugin.

That's hundreds and hundreds of useless files in multiple locations all because in his words "it's easier for him".

Yes the installer allows you to choose which plugins you install but it still installs all the support files. Here are just some of the files and notice the duplicate files in two locations:

Melda.png

Melda2.png

That's just sloppy programming and practice and shows a disregard for his customer's systems as I'm sure we all want to keep our DAW systems as lean and bloat free as possible and rightfully so.
Completely agree, and user presets are in the same XML files as factory presets. Super messy, literally no other company does this and for good reason!!! I’ve been meaning to email them about this.

The simple offline activation method first drew me to Melda's offerings; just a simple keyfile. No need to worry about activation servers dying if the company folds.

I'm using MSoundFactory and MDrummer. The latter is the best drum software I've used - it allowed me to retire the clusterflux that is BFD 3. MSoundFactory is a sound design playground, I regularly get lost in it.
eh?

Melda has some great plugins, but too many features and options imo thus a high learning curve and I dislike the gui.
Not good for a fast workflow, I usually prefer simple plugins with 2 or 3 sliders only

DJErmac wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:50 pm MTransformer is the best pitch shifter I know.

I really love their tools.
I hadn't spotted their pitch shifter. I might have to have a close look at that one. I was eyeing up the Eventide pitch shifters but I just can't get past iLok - that's a real deal-breaker for me. Now it's been mentioned, it's obvious that Melda make a pitchshifter, but I never thought about it. I shall check it out tomorrow. :tu:

pick "Argon" style when you download them.
Not sure why it isn't the default
kritikon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:32 am I hadn't spotted their pitch shifter. I might have to have a close look at that one. I was eyeing up the Eventide pitch shifters but I just can't get past iLok - that's a real deal-breaker for me. Now it's been mentioned, it's obvious that Melda make a pitchshifter, but I never thought about it. I shall check it out tomorrow. :tu:
the problem with eventide's Quadra/Octavox is that it doesn't shift formants.
For auto-harmoniser type check MUnison.

Return to “Effects”