Something new from G-Force (Mellotron MKII)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:48 pm Curiosity: for those who would definitely buy this at some lower price. (That doesnt include jens, obvs)-

What would you pay for this?
I would without hesitating pay the actual price of an expansion which is now 49.99 pounds.
I would buy it for the rhythms and accompaniment, they would be a good compliment to my hifi optigan loops collection.
But I must confess that though I love these cheesy old loops I have never used them in my music :)
It's just for the sake of collecting!
BTW I own all the expansions except the last one (Alex Ball) which to my ears does not reflect at all the feel of a Mellotron.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

I have a question for all the "defenders"of the marketing-tactics regarding the MK2 (that includes G-Force staff too):

in regards to all those folks here and over at Gearspace (and where not) who were in some way or the other critical of said marketing (that of course includes the pricing and the lack of upgrade (or call it "crossgrade" if you must)), what would you have us rather do? Just be silent and walk the other way without purchasing it? Take all the negative comments and the arguments it causes away and you'd end up with... almost radio-silence, right? Would that be helpful?
If there's so much negative feedback chances are it's not that people don't get it because they're too thick. Chances are much rather G-Force messed up somehow. Isn't it more helpful to know how and why?
Last edited by jens on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

beely wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:06 pm
jsp1979 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm So, to read between the lines, G-Force's new Tron product isn't aimed at the G-Force MTron customers that own all the expansions? They aren't trying to capture those customers?

Uh...interesting take.
No, you've missed my point, so let me try again. The point was about the people who aren't interested in this product, complaining G-Force are wasting their time on this product, rather than doing synth stuff, which is what they personally want. I've seen this on both threads, but also it's relevant to my general take above.

Nothing to do with people who like the M-Tron, who may or may not be interested in this particular product.
I understand your point. However, lots of posters who own and use M-Tron are all over this thread saying they don't understand why this product is here with the price that it has and with no upgrade pricing.

So, it seems odd for a couple of posters to talk about how people who "aren't interested in this product" are clogging up the threads when it appears that that group is a minority of those with complaints. That seems like a way of trying to dismiss the critical comments.

Yes, exactly! It's pretty safe to say that many (or most I'd guess) posting here are only present because we have a general interest in the product (or at the very least the company). Personally I stay out of most threads (I don't even visit them once) for a simple lack of interest. There's only a handful of threads I am active in which then signals a keen interest.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 am Which kind of makes the price decision even stranger, no? I mean if they don't care about making money on this one, then they could make it affordable just as easily as make it elitist.
Nope. By "labour of love" I don't mean they don't care about getting money for it, I mean they went full nerd for their fellow nerds. I see it as being more like a boutique luthier. Just because it's a passion project doesn't mean it isn't also full price plus.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

jens wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 pm I have a question for all the "defenders"of the marketing-tactics regarding the MK2 (that includes G-Force staff too):

in regards to all those folks here and over at Gearspace (and where not) who were in some way or the other critical of said marketing (that of course includes the pricing and the lack of upgrade (or call it "crossgrade" if you must)), what would you have us rather do? Just be silent and walk the other way without purchasing it? Take all the negative comments and the arguments it causes away and you'd end up with... almost radio-silence, right? Would that be helpful?
If there's so much negative feedback chances are it's not that people don't get it because they're too thick. Chances are much rather G-Force messed up somehow. Isn't it more helpful to know how and why?
So by pricing a product in a range a few ppl deem too high, GForce have "messed up"?

How so?

pough wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:31 pm
Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:23 am Which kind of makes the price decision even stranger, no? I mean if they don't care about making money on this one, then they could make it affordable just as easily as make it elitist.
Nope. By "labour of love" I don't mean they don't care about getting money for it, I mean they went full nerd for their fellow nerds. I see it as being more like a boutique luthier. Just because it's a passion project doesn't mean it isn't also full price plus.
Boutique zero’s and ones… ;)

AnX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:53 pm
jens wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:02 pm I have a question for all the "defenders"of the marketing-tactics regarding the MK2 (that includes G-Force staff too):

So by pricing a product in a range a few ppl deem too high, GForce have "messed up"?

How so?
Yeah, well, pretty much everyone on kvr and gearspace. People who own M-Tron pro and like it a lot, not your usual haters.

Save for a few industry champions who obviously got it before release and highly likely for free.

That's ok. There's going to be a crossgrade as soon as they find out it's not selling.

If it is, well, then it's priced ok I guess.

k

It's not everyone, it's a few ppl in those threads....

How do you know there are not hundreds who never post that just slammed down their money?

soulata wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:21 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:53 pm

How so?
Yeah, well, pretty much everyone on kvr and gearspace. People who own M-Tron pro and like it a lot, not your usual haters.

Save for a few industry champions who obviously got it before release and highly likely for free.

That's ok. There's going to be a crossgrade as soon as they find out it's not selling.

If it is, well, then it's priced ok I guess.

k
what if...
gmedia, see this as a side project?
as in, they primarily rent hw out.
restoring a mk2 gives them the income from the rent to cover costs over time.
putting this out is just "pocket money" and they'd prefer not to have everyone buying it as that generally means more support work.

i don't know for certain obviously, just looking at them compared to other businesses in the area, they're not releasing so much that they could sustain a full income?

but, given the work involved in the restoration of the machine and tapes, im not sure the price is "outrageous" id say fairly reasonable tbh.
would i buy it if it were half the price?
probably snap it up, but for this price, i will have to have a think how much use id personally get from it? :)

AnX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:24 pm It's not everyone, it's a few ppl in those threads....

How do you know there are not hundreds who never post that just slammed down their money?
True.

Did you buy it?

Since you're posting here and don't mind the price?

AnX wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:24 pm It's not everyone, it's a few ppl in those threads....

it is amusing to note here, we often see "just because a few people on kvr praise a product it doesn't mean anything"
but now, a few people complaining, means every word is true!

:lol:

soulata wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:33 pm

True.

Did you buy it?

hardly worth asking him, last time he opened his wallet, queen victoria was on our money.

True.

Did you buy it?

I didn't say anything about the price, its irrelevant to me

But no, I haven't bought it, it's not something I'm interested in (I was hoping they were releasing another synth emulation)

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:36 pm

True.

Did you buy it?

hardly worth asking him, last time he opened his wallet, queen victoria was on our money.
I don't even have a wallet anymore, I'm pretty much cashless these days, unless it's for getting the van washed, or weekend treats :hihi:

But why buy, when you can be gifted so many things :tu:

Return to “Instruments”