Again SSL?? Slate Digital FG DYNAMICS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How many more SSL plugins do we need?
What do you think of this new release?
I do not think it's superior to existing SSL emus!?
Waves has also released a new SSL plugins two weeks ago.
Are there no other brands that have not been emulated yet?

They didn't have the dynamics emulation in their eco system so for rack users this is nice.

Also their last few rack releases have been good so this will probably be pretty good too.

I get where you are coming from tho.

I got bored with Slate some time ago... this seems to confirm my boredom. Sad, though, I used to like it and I had some fun with those plugins. I'm having more fun now though without them. :party:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:15 pm I got bored with Slate some time ago... this seems to confirm my boredom. Sad, though, I used to like it and I had some fun with those plugins. I'm having more fun now though without them. :party:
It's easy to get bored with emulations, Slate or not.

DCrown wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:04 pm Waves has also released a new SSL plugins two weeks ago.
Waves SSL EV2 was released over two months ago, has there been yet another one after that? As for the possible missing emulations, maybe adding the SSL orange and pink knob EQ versions to make ultimate E/G channel strip combo... :hihi:

I haven't tested this Slate plugin, because I have no particular need for it. That it is another new SSL emu doesn't bother me at all though.

subterfuge wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 am
DCrown wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:04 pm Waves has also released a new SSL plugins two weeks ago.
Waves SSL EV2 was released over two months ago, has there been yet another one after that? As for the possible missing emulations, maybe adding the SSL orange and pink knob EQ versions to make ultimate E/G channel strip combo... :hihi:

I haven't tested this Slate plugin, because I have no particular need for it. That it is another new SSL emu doesn't bother me at all though.
Time is running fast :D
2 months is not that long ago, though

well since this type of stuff sells (look at success of PA/Slate that pretty much only release analog emus), plugin developers keep making them.
If different plugins sold as much, they would probably make different plugins.
Take a look at the world of Video editing. No vintage knob GUIs, or beta/VHS GUIs on FX or umpteenth emulation of CYP12 or whatever.
Speaks volumes about user-base of audio plugins.

To me this one is very good

Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:02 am Take a look at the world of Video editing. No vintage knob GUIs, or beta/VHS GUIs on FX or umpteenth emulation of CYP12 or whatever.
Speaks volumes about user-base of audio plugins.
What's the point of that comparison? Audio hardware emulation plugins by their very nature have mostly the same controls the gear they emulate does, even if the looks wouldn't be the same. Similar looks doesn't affect negatively their sonic performance and helps to identify and associate them with the originals.

In current video editing, what hardware video editor would anybody want to emulate for their actual hardware controls and why on earth? Moviola?

subterfuge wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:02 pm What's the point of that comparison? Audio hardware emulation plugins by their very nature have mostly the same controls the gear they emulate does, even if the looks wouldn't be the same. Similar looks doesn't affect negatively their sonic performance and helps to identify and associate them with the originals.

In current video editing, what hardware video editor would anybody want to emulate for their actual hardware controls and why on earth? Moviola?
sure why not? it's as dumb as releasing a Talkback limiter plugin.
Probably as many iconic videos were edited using Moviola as were tracks recorded with an SSL.
Frankly, why would you want to emulate hardware controls for something like SSL on a computer? Video NLEs have values. And video editors do just fine.

Audio mixers need pseudo-3D knobs with perspective that emulate even the everybody tried to avoid - like noise floor.
There are much better dynamics GUIs and workflows than the one in this (or any other) SSL emulation

poshook wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm To me this one is very good
Can you explain what you like about it?? How you're using it?

It's because there's a LOT of money still to be made emulating the same coveted hardware that everyone already has done to death. We have deified some of these pieces of hardware... ie 1178 on a snare / SSL's being "punchy" / Neve's being "warm". We've made this! It provides ample ground for a nice GUI and some marketing tricks and wordsmithery to get our attention.

Honestly, there's only a few true innovators in the plugin scene, like Oeksound, Voxengo, Wavesfactory, Acustica (in some ways), Mastering the Mix (definitely a very forward-thinking company) - maybe even iZotope (can't argue that Neutron and Ozone are pretty revolutionary). While the vast majority are shovelling the same "analog modelled" stuff.

Sometimes I wonder how many Neve and SSL desks there actually are in real life, because it seems like every developer has one! They must be making millions in plugin sales to be able to afford all this gear they supposedly model right down to individual compenents.

Simple answer is... vote with your wallet... or PayPal account :hihi:

And the truest innovator of them all: SoundTheory. Gullfoss rocks.

poshook wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm To me this one is very good
Same here. And here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zSEbSeMUosc

Fleer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:54 am And the truest innovator of them all: SoundTheory. Gullfoss rocks.
Not really. the concept of unmasking was conceived MANY YERS ago - maybe not as slick and shiny as Gf (with
just about every high profile eng. using it) but it just works (Admittingly a little quirky to find the sweetspot). and it's FREE.

To me, SoundRadix are REAL innovators. everything they do is pure gold. and ORIGINAL. they don't copy, they don't imitate. they don't EMU. they just re-write the laws and stretch the boundaries of what's possible . THAT's innovative.

Return to “Effects”