Elegant solution for turning down a mix that doesn't include turning down the master fader?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

philippe123 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am Again, I understand some of you will find this overkill - that's fine - I am working towards making music and mixing for a living at a high level, so yeah, these things matter to me.
In which case, you could set yourself an experiment of creating a test mix - something made entirely from audio, without any processing or plugins.

Add a gain plugin to the master channel, and apply a cut of say -6dB. Bounce the mix.

Then remove the gain plugin, and pull down the master fader by -6dB. Bounce that mix.

Load the two bounced stereo files back into your, invert the phase on one of them. The two tracks should cancel each other out entirely. This is called a "null test" and is a good way of proving that two files are identical and your ears aren't deceiving you :tu:

Of course there are reasons that adding a gain plugin as the first thing on your master might be the right thing to do - for example if you've got some kind of analogue modelled compressor next in the chain that's clipping, because the input signal is too high. But cross that bridge when you come to it.

Mutility, GGain, or another floating point level adjuster. If your DAW uses floating point mathematics then the master fader should have no effect on your signal. Also you have pre and post fader effects and anything post fader will change the signal. Not much to worry about outside of those situations. My DAW has a gain adjustment on every channel at the top of the signal path so I would just use that.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

what about creating new track (let’s call it MIX), route it to the MASTER, then route all your tracks to this MIX?
Then you can trim MIX, leaving MASTER untouched.
Surprised it was not mentioned yet

It has yet another benefit. You can move all effects (mastering like) from MASTER to MIX.
Then you can easily add new tracks with reference music routed to MASTER. In result reference tracks are not affected by mastering-like plugins

maxym.srpl wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:22 pm what about creating new track (let’s call it MIX), route it to the MASTER, then route all your tracks to this MIX?
Then you can trim MIX, leaving MASTER untouched.
Surprised it was not mentioned yet
This is exactly the same as pulling down the master fader.

The purpose of the master fader is to fine tune the final output level, without affecting track relationships or upstream processing, or otherwise "changing" the final sound. Use it :tu:

Confused now. So how is different pulling track fader down the same amount from pulling master fader down? Can someone answer this scientifically? Imagine I have one track only. If I pull down level at same amount as I did with master, isn't it the same?

Another example, if you have two tracks, one of your tracks volume is at -6 another at -3 but master fader at 0db, it should be the same if I pulled down -1db both of them or did the same with only master fader. Right?
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

Propellerhands wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:41 pm Confused now. So how is different pulling track fader down the same amount from pulling master fader down? Can someone answer this scientifically? Imagine I have one track only. If I pull down level at same amount as I did with master, isn't it the same?

Another example, if you have two tracks, one of your tracks volume is at -6 another at -3 but master fader at 0db, it should be the same if I pulled down -1db both of them or did the same with only master fader. Right?
tracks plural. with automation already recorded, so the op can't just group faders to lower.
however, you are correct, one fader, dropped 3db will drop 3db on the master, but with multiple tracks, at different volumes, these are summed to make the master volume, so it won't work the same, pulling the mix down 3db (loudest track) will also bring down the other tracks some, meaning the master will come down 3db plus a sum of the others.

i may have just confused you more :oops:

someone with number skills do the equation dammit.

Since you're using Cubase Pro, why aren't you using the VCAs? This is what they're for. Tracks linked to a VCA retain their automation data and can be gain adjusted without affecting their balance.
Just link the relevant track/groups to however many you want.
Also, any gain reduction (or increase!) will have an effect on the input to plugins later in the chain. This may make a bigger or smaller difference, all depending on your processors. Easier to just pull down the stereo out by 1 or 2 dBs. (Type the values in for super accurate adjustments.)

Return to “Production Techniques”