Softube "Dirty Tape"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Captain wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:15 am
sqigls wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:27 am without a mix control it's very limited.
A mix control (at least a regular/traditional one) doesn't really make sense if the effect messes with the timing/pitch of the signal, like Dirty Tape does if you set the Dirt knob to anywhere else than fully clean.
It does make much sense as the timing differences can make really fantastic phasing/flanging effects just like in the full softube tape

rasmusklump wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:51 am It does make much sense as the timing differences can make really fantastic phasing/flanging effects just like in the full softube tape
Of course, but that's a whole new type of effect, not a sound that is simply somewhere between dry and 100% tape-d, and I thought that's what the original question about the "missing" mix knob was about. Anyway, I agree it sounds really good, it's just that normally I don't expect a "Mix" control to do something like that in any effect.

Hmm, do you mean that the full Softube Tape plugin has a mix control, at least I can't find one?

When you click on the remote control you get all the additional controls

Anyone else feel this is a bit CPU heavy for what it does? I can't get too many of these going at once, compared to say the recent Arturia tape effect or NEOLD Warble. Granted I am on an older, Haswell i7 so I bounce when I have to anyway, but this one eats it up quicker. Appreciate the freebie nonetheless. :party:
Last edited by Agreed on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rasmusklump wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 pm When you click on the remote control you get all the additional controls
Ha, true, thanks! It's been a while since I used Tape, it seems :D So yeah, I stand corrected, it might be a good idea to include a Mix control in a tape plugin, even though the non-extreme positions produce flanging...

whining about a mix knob? are you lazy? lol

p.s. never look a gift horse in the mouth
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Captain wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:56 pm Ha, true, thanks! It's been a while since I used Tape, it seems :D So yeah, I stand corrected, it might be a good idea to include a Mix control in a tape plugin, even though the non-extreme positions produce flanging...
They only produce flanging if you're altering the playback speed (and therefore pitch) with respect to the dry audio (for hopefully obvious reasons!)

If you keep the speed constant (ie turn off the wow/pitch drifts etc) then mixing the dry and wet shouldn't be a problem...

To me the phasing IS the reason to use the mix knob...

beely wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:41 pm They only produce flanging if you're altering the playback speed (and therefore pitch) with respect to the dry audio (for hopefully obvious reasons!)

If you keep the speed constant (ie turn off the wow/pitch drifts etc) then mixing the dry and wet shouldn't be a problem...
Yeah, true. If I use a tape plugin, one of the biggest reasons is that I want it to add some small timing/pitch variatons (wow/flutter/etc), but of course tape emulations also do other things that work nicely with a mix control. Unless you specifically want it to sound like a flanger, then it’s OK to add the pitch stuff too. :)

rasmusklump wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:59 pm To me the phasing IS the reason to use the mix knob...
Same here! Thought the lack of mix knob was an oversight. I do have Tape and Tape Echoes, but it would be nice on to pull it up on a simple plugin like this.

Phew, thanks for the freebie Softube. This is like 7% CPU though... :O

VST3 version crashed my Windows 10 / StudioOne 4.6 machine. Well, it crashed S1.
VST2 works fine here.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:45 am Phew, thanks for the freebie Softube. This is like 7% CPU though... :O
Many of their plugins use quite an excessive amount of CPU, unfortunately.

Many of their plugins sound pretty damn good though...
soulata wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:35 am VST3 version crashed my Windows 10 / StudioOne 4.6 machine. Well, it crashed S1.
VST2 works fine here.
Can't confirm here. Same constellation.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:50 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:45 am Phew, thanks for the freebie Softube. This is like 7% CPU though... :O
Many of their plugins use quite an excessive amount of CPU, unfortunately.

Many of their plugins sound pretty damn good though...
This is so true. Even 'Saturation Knob', their ancient freebie, uses 3-4% CPU - and it has absolutely nothing special in it.. no "modelling", no oversampling, nothing fancy whatsoever. Seems like Softube struggle with code efficiency.

Some of their plugins do sound great though.

Can't confirm that.
Softube plugins are amongst the least cpu consuming plugins I own.
I have multiple softube plugins on all my tracks in my template and have absolutely no cpu issues.

Return to “Effects”