One Synth Challenge #155: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3lu5iv3 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:26 am I think the record crackling sound is from RC-20.
Some people say it's ok and others are saying it's not so who is right? 🤔
from the rules: "Unless specifically announced before the competition, you must use only one virtual synthesizer for all sounds including percussion."
So, if a sound is generated by another plugin it clearly is not allowed.

(Note: In my very first OSC I made a record crackling sound at the start - using Dune. The sound was made using just the synth for both sound and modulations. I expect the same could be achieved with Serum and many other synths.)

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:12 am
3lu5iv3 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:26 am I think the record crackling sound is from RC-20.
Some people say it's ok and others are saying it's not so who is right? 🤔
from the rules: "Unless specifically announced before the competition, you must use only one virtual synthesizer for all sounds including percussion."
So, if a sound is generated by another plugin it clearly is not allowed.

(Note: In my very first OSC I made a record crackling sound at the start - using Dune. The sound was made using just the synth for both sound and modulations. I expect the same could be achieved with Serum and many other synths.)
Yup – sorry if I was unclear, but that was my point when I gave my conditional 'okay' earlier as well.

In this intro from an old OSC, I'm using the technique I mentioned a few days ago with the (deceptively!) simple Crust synth.

(God, now I really feel the need to revisit and mix that track better!)

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/mati ... al_sharing
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Ah i see. Thanx guys. I'm gonna reupload it.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Soooo...my main machine's power supply broke (or so I believe), making me switch to a tiny $100 bee-link computer, just so I can at least stay in touch. But then I figured, hey, let's see if MuLab runs on it. Lo and behold, it worked. Then I went straight to FullBucket's treasure chest, got me fb-4999, OTT, Dynamic Expander, LoudMax and Valhalla Supermassive and started goofing around and it actually works!!! I mean, it's all hell to edit sounds as it's super choppy to use the GUI on fb-4999, but even 9 instances have not yet made this little bee-link break a sweat, haha. Incredible! :hyper:
It's therefore not unlikely that I even have a track for this round on the lowest possible budget, hehehe... so fun in a rogue way! :hihi:

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement in light of what should've been a bit of a tragedy. :shrug: :D

@Mr T. Sorry about your loss :cry: Happy to hear you can still make music :tu: dB

Taron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 pm Soooo...my main machine's power supply broke (or so I believe), making me switch to a tiny $100 bee-link computer, just so I can at least stay in touch. But then I figured, hey, let's see if MuLab runs on it. Lo and behold, it worked. Then I went straight to FullBucket's treasure chest, got me fb-4999, OTT, Dynamic Expander, LoudMax and Valhalla Supermassive and started goofing around and it actually works!!! I mean, it's all hell to edit sounds as it's super choppy to use the GUI on fb-4999, but even 9 instances have not yet made this little bee-link break a sweat, haha. Incredible! :hyper:
It's therefore not unlikely that I even have a track for this round on the lowest possible budget, hehehe... so fun in a rogue way! :hihi:

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement in light of what should've been a bit of a tragedy. :shrug: :D
I can relate on the breakage, I made the mistake of trying to upgrade my Dell on my own recently, adding a hard drive among other things. It turns out Dell booby traps their SATA power connections, if you don't use a Dell power cable, you blow stuff up (even though it's the exact same standard form factor mini power connector). I cooked my PSU and my Motherboard! luckily the Mom 'n' Pop shop where I bought my refurb Dell had the parts to fix me up, but damn you Dell!

Whahahaha, well written, very well written! :lol: :tu:

Alright, here's my first test with this setup... pretty cool that it works in the first place:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/harmles ... al_sharing

I will let this one be my submission after all.
FullBucket's FB-7999

DAW: MuLab
FX: OTT, LoudMax, Valhalla Supermassive, Dynamic Expander
Last edited by Taron on Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:39 pm Alright, here's my first test with this setup... pretty cool that it works in the first place:

Not sure, if I'll keep this one, but maybe... (FB-7999)
Well, it clearly shows that skill and talent outweigh technology by far...

SeBaer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:40 pm
Taron wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:39 pm Alright, here's my first test with this setup... pretty cool that it works in the first place:

Not sure, if I'll keep this one, but maybe... (FB-7999)
Well, it clearly shows that skill and talent outweigh technology by far...
Thank you! :hug:
Nah, really, I'm almost getting an extra kick out of the challenge. I mean, I can't wait to sit at a decent machine again, but there's something to it to make music with this tiny box and its gentle pheeeeeeeee...(tiny fan, too). It's a tiny bit bigger than a cigarette case, three usb cables stick out of it, like monster cables, hahaha. It's kind of adorable. :love:

Anyway, maybe I'll try one more with WhispAir, or so. Curious how this will perform. 8)

Hi All

Here's my submission for this month. I made another song with the Minibrute. I still really like the last one but i will update my other post to avoid confusion. This one was a bit more fun to work on. Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/milksterx/mini-brut-by-milkster

28 instances of Minibrute 2S in Bitwig 4.1

Native FX:
EQ+, Blur, Multiband FX 3, Filter, Dynamics, Saturator, Reverb

3rd party FX:
Zeek Audio STFU, GClip, Infected Mushroom Wider, Softube Saturation Knob, Air windows ZHighpass2
Waves: H-Reverb, H-Delay, H-Comp
BX Townhouse compressor, BX Console 4000 G, BX Limiter
NI Raum, Convology XT, d16 Sigmund, d16 Devastor 2, Excite Audio Lifeline Expanse, A1Triggergate, DS Tantra 2 (Filter, delay & distortion only)

Metering:
Waves VU Meter

Mastering:
Waves H Compressor, Elysia Alpha Compressor

RichardSemper wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:12 am (Note: In my very first OSC I made a record crackling sound at the start - using Dune. The sound was made using just the synth for both sound and modulations. I expect the same could be achieved with Serum and many other synths.)
record crackling was fun to make using u-he's triple cheese. I added some vinyl effects in my last track can only hear it right at the beginning and end.

here's my 2nd version. removed RC-20 and ShaperBox.

https://soundcloud.com/3lu5iv3/3lu5iv3-trayfield-v2

DAW = Reaper 6.46

Synth = 14 X Serum

Effects = 4U+ ProjectTime, SPAN, 4 X ReaLimit,
4 X Ozone 9 Equalizer, SuperMassive, 2 X Volume/Pan Smoother v5,
2 X MJUC, Ozone 9 Dynamics, Ozone 9 Imager, Lofi Space, BX Masterdesk Classic

BPM = 76
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Hi everyone! Hope you are well. Here is my One Osc Any Synth challenge track. I have done every sounds from init. Any tips and comments are welcome

DAW: Cubase 11Pro

11 instances of Arturia DX7 V

DAW FX: Standard EQ, Distortion, Frequency EQ, Standard compressor, Magneto II, Envelope shaper, Maximizer, Revelation reverb, Imager

3rd party FX: Izotope Neutron Elements, Nicky Romero KickStart, Waves DBX 160 compressor, Waves Infected Mushroom Pusher, Izotope Ozone 8

https://soundcloud.com/jkflashico/jkfla ... ering-mind

... and here's mine ... using Vacuum Pro ... I decided to use an unused synth lying around in my VSTi toolbox!

DAW: Reaper
Track details:
21 * Vacuum Pro, 14 * Waves VEQ4, 1 * Waves MaxxBass, 3 * TAL Dub Delay, 2 * LFX-1310, 2 * OTT
4 * ReaEQ, 2 * TAL filter 2, 4 * Twin Delay, 2 * Valhalla Room, 2 * Valhalla Supermassive
Master: MSED, Ozone 8 Elements
Meter: SPAN, Youlean Loudness
Stats: LUFS: -14.5, DR: 10
Image: (c) Claire Seaton

Enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -vacuumpro

Return to “Instruments”