Pictures of your builds!

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very nice! Looks like a fun project. Love the colors. :tu:

justin3am wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:01 am Very nice! Looks like a fun project. Love the colors. :tu:
Thanks Justin. Being my first build, it was interesting. Not difficult though. All the parts being in one bag wasn’t too great, but otherwise, a success. Sounds great for the normal reggae usage, and those disco toms!

My first ever original synth module! Built on perfboard after a lot of fiddling with solderless breadboard and a KiCad schematic.

It's a CD4049-based dual distortion with a bonus release-only envelope generator. The interesting part is that
  • the first distortion is AC-coupled with a gain control
  • the second is DC-coupled with two inputs and an attenuator on the second input
  • The first distortion output is normalled to the second distortion input, so it can be used as a "preconditioner"
  • The envelope output is normalled to the DC-coupled input 2... So triggering the envelope will move the bias of the distortion for a "ducking fuzz" effect.
  • The envelope input is normalled "high", so with no input the DC In 2 attenuator can still be used as a bias control.
CD4049-based distortion is quite a well-known trick for asymmetric soft-clipping (e.g. Red Llama pedal), but I've not seen any other DC-coupled implementation. This lets you really push the asymmetric fuzz side of things!

(Apologies that pictures appear huge. I wanted to leave some resolution so people can see details if desired. Is there a way to reduce the default size when using [attachment] rather than [img]?)
lld_main_board_top.jpg
lld_in_case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imrae wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm My first ever original synth module! Built on perfboard after a lot of fiddling with solderless breadboard and a KiCad schematic.
I missed this somehow. Great work!
That looks like a bunch of tantalum caps! I've also been struggling to find DIP packages for CMOS (CD4000 series) chips, lol. I've put a bunch of SOICs in adapters like that myself.

Regarding images, if I want to offer a hug uncompressed version, I usually embed a link to the larger version in the image tag. However, I'm usually linking externally and don't often use KVR's attachment options.

attentionmaker wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:12 pm wow it gorgeous
justin3am wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:37 pm I missed this somehow. Great work!
That looks like a bunch of tantalum caps!
Power smoothing on every chip and high-frequency suppression on every gain stage, it adds up quickly! Probably some can be skipped, but I was really worried about noise levels (which turned out ok). They're nothing fancy, I got a ceramic capacitor assortment kit for breadboarding. Now I know which values to get more of...
I've also been struggling to find DIP packages for CMOS (CD4000 series) chips, lol. I've put a bunch of SOICs in adapters like that myself.
It's annoying that the SOIC in an adapter ends up larger than the DIP would have been. I have some nice SSI VCAs to try out which will have the same issue.
Regarding images, if I want to offer a hug uncompressed version, I usually embed a link to the larger version in the image tag. However, I'm usually linking externally and don't often use KVR's attachment options.
Good idea! Guess there's an excuse to do a blog post or something...

Not sure this fits here, but I designed these speakers in 2010. Specifically for classical music. Old photos, because they are in a storeroom now.

“Serenity is a problem, when you get this close to heaven, but you really want to see the wonders of the underworld”

Some closeup shots my banana socket conversions of Frac Rack modules.

Here are the modules,all racked up:

Wendygon wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:38 pm Not sure this fits here, but I designed these speakers in 2010. Specifically for classical music. Old photos, because they are in a storeroom now.
They're cool, out of the ordinary but look good. Was the curved positioning of the speakers a design choice or does it have some audio advantage?

justin3am wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:33 am Some closeup shots my banana socket conversions of Frac Rack modules.
Nicely done, just enough room for those switches!

you guys so much skilled!

Maybe not in the spirit of this thread, but this is the thing I´m building ATM.

(also sorry to whiterabbyt for accidentally posting this in his thread)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

That's an adorable little plane doing some nice work! How did you learn to make guitars?

Download SOphist wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:18 pm Maybe not in the spirit of this thread, but this is the thing I´m building ATM.

(also sorry to whiterabbyt for accidentally posting this in his thread)
I'd say it is very appropriate for this thread. Nice work!

thanks! it was mostly learn by doing, with help from internet forums. i never thought it would take me so long to get to half decent, though.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Download SOphist wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:18 pm Maybe not in the spirit of this thread, but this is the thing I´m building ATM.
That's beautiful, especially the inlay around the soundhole.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”