If only Hy-Plugins made a drum synth...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been using Hy-Slicer a fair bit recently:
hy-slice.jpg
What I really like are the various waveforms available at each step which really mangle the sound, making sliced loops sound more like synth drums... which got me thinking...

Are there any drum synth VSTs with a similar layout/function to Hy-Slice, especially the selectable multi-waveforms?

I'm sure there are, but not having used many drum synth VSTs before a brief trawl around search engines has been less than fruitful since I find myself digging thru tons of VSTs that are aimed at sounding like real drums... which is not what I'm looking for at all.

Sugar Bytes Drum Computer looks like it might fit the bill, but other than that, I'd appreciate any recommendations folks have.

Cheers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PS... I also love the fact that Hy-Slicer can handle custom grooves and also import from a midi file...

Am working with some Middle Eastern percussion loops at the moment and normal quantization takes all the life out of them!

Maybe Sugarbytes Egoist?

When i emailed Tadashi from HY-Plugins a while back asking for a drum synth (drum sampler in my case, as a replacement for Geist 2) he said he was indeed interested in making some drum software.
He's usually very busy updating his software, but hasn't done so for a while now, so maybe something new is about to come soon?
Of course it doesn't have to mean it's going to be a drummie, but one can dream…
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Sugar bytes drum computer has a pretty wild sequencer and synth engine. I’m waiting for it to go on a decent sale because I’m a cheapass, though.

psynical wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 pm Maybe Sugarbytes Egoist?
I agree. Egoist has a nice little chopper in it as well. Very quick idea starter.

psynical wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:17 pm Maybe Sugarbytes Egoist?
Egoist does indeed look like a great little tool... however I'm already very happy with Hy-Slicer for beat slicing and the drum/bass synths are a bit basic for what I'm after...

Drum Computer looks more capable on the synth side, will have a play with a demo

FapFilter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:41 pm When i emailed Tadashi from HY-Plugins a while back asking for a drum synth (drum sampler in my case, as a replacement for Geist 2) he said he was indeed interested in making some drum software.
He's usually very busy updating his software, but hasn't done so for a while now, so maybe something new is about to come soon?
Of course it doesn't have to mean it's going to be a drummie, but one can dream…
That's interesting... maybe I should drop them a mail too, one more voice can't hurt! It took me a little while to get used to how Hy-Plugins work - I use both Hy-Slicer and Hy-SEQ32, but once I got used them, it' amazing how much functionality is packed into a compact space.

As for Geist 2, I still use it for anything Beats-realated, works nicely as an mpc substitute too and the slicing is none-too-shabby either, great program.... in the end if I don't find a true drum synth that really does what I want it to do, i reckon Ill fall back on that and just use drum-synth samples, either self-generated or from the plethora of packs available.

Happy to report that Sugar Bytes Drum Computer is just about everything I was hoping for... and then some!

Great sounds, not pretending to be anything other than synthetic (although you can switch between wavetable and analogue), extensively manipulable in a really musical way... good sequencing capability as well as multi-out routing. Doesn't quite have the ability to import a groove from an existing MIDI file, but individual beats can be "offset" as required and the humanize function is very cool as it refreshes itself every two bars or so.

Really can't fault it, brilliant VST :)

if he is taking the synth route, like tremor e.g., not the sample route, well not only. and adding the complexitiy of his sequencers to it...?
i am all in for it

tremor and geist parts in one package with an rpe32 seq part would kill it.

.... ...

FapFilter wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:41 pm When i emailed Tadashi from HY-Plugins a while back asking for a drum synth (drum sampler in my case, as a replacement for Geist 2) he said he was indeed interested in making some drum software.
Hy-Slicer 2 will coming...
But a Drummer would be nice as well...Tadashi is pretty active....4 sure

Nice! :tu:
As Slicer 1 already is awesome! :love:

Beta tester?
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:53 am Nice! :tu:
As Slicer 1 already is awesome! :love:

Beta tester?
yes i am, will be...if its rdy

But to da Topic...what means a DRUM SYNTH there are alot...
Slicer is a "Slicer and kind of a Sampler" a Drumsynth is like dont know...

Drumsynth can be SugarBytes DrumComputer or Air DrumSynth 500
and a KickDrum-Synth is like D16 Punchbox...so :neutral:

AudioBabble wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:24 pm Been using Hy-Slicer a fair bit recently:

What I really like are the various waveforms available at each step which really mangle the sound, making sliced loops sound more like synth drums... which got me thinking...

Are there any drum synth VSTs with a similar layout/function to Hy-Slice, especially the selectable multi-waveforms?

I'm sure there are, but not having used many drum synth VSTs before a brief trawl around search engines has been less than fruitful since I find myself digging thru tons of VSTs that are aimed at sounding like real drums... which is not what I'm looking for at all.

Sugar Bytes Drum Computer looks like it might fit the bill, but other than that, I'd appreciate any recommendations folks have.

Cheers :)
This Waveforms you have open represents the Playhead Movement of each Slice

Return to “Instruments”