Anyone else notice Arturia is getting better?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

their hardware seems to much consumer oriented, they go where the money is i guess , i have a keystep 37 and i like it but for example the midi is not even tight.. maybe lot of today stuff have no tight midi tought.. so maybe it s ok vs the competition i have no idea, the build construction is good for the price :tu:

and let see the good thing ! no need to humanize things the midi jitter does it by itself , it s a hiden feature !
Last edited by kobal on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Some preset collections are pretty bad, others really good.

I usually get them when they're 50% off so no biggie if some of them really suck.

k

Would love to see a decent synthetic percussion synth from them that is not tied to a hardware.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:35 pm To be honest, overall, I'm not too impressed by the professionality of any company in the audio hardware/software business. The industry just isn't big enough to do proper quality assurance. There's always some niggles and bugs in the software
The largest software company in the world develops the buggiest software I own.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:42 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:35 pm To be honest, overall, I'm not too impressed by the professionality of any company in the audio hardware/software business. The industry just isn't big enough to do proper quality assurance. There's always some niggles and bugs in the software
Microsoft?

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:48 pm

Microsoft?
could also be apple tbh.
some of the logic bugs... not to mention the vestigial plugins with GUI from emagic times.
how can you be the polebearer of hidpi screens and ship logic with ES1 and similar abominations?

on the topic, i find arturia a mixed bag. Some emus are decent, some are meh. I can't think of any that's best in the class. (i.e. Model '72 and The Legend are more authentic than Mini V)
Pigments is also cool but fell short for me.
Recent FX are pretty good (the compressors)
I have been enjoying Mello-FI lately :party:

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:42 pm
Microsoft?
Of course.
Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 pm could also be apple tbh.
Not even in the top 10.

https://www.alltopeverything.com/top-10 ... companies/
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 pm

Microsoft?
could also be apple tbh.
some of the logic bugs... not to mention the vestigial plugins with GUI from emagic times.
how can you be the polebearer of hidpi screens and ship logic with ES1 and similar abominations?

on the topic, i find arturia a mixed bag. Some emus are decent, some are meh. I can't think of any that's best in the class. (i.e. Model '72 and The Legend are more authentic than Mini V)
Pigments is also cool but fell short for me.
Recent FX are pretty good (the compressors)
I have been enjoying Mello-FI lately :party:
TBH, I think they all suffer from some QA issues as of the last 5 or 6 years or something... Microsoft, Google, Apple.

What I rather meant with the industry not being big enough to do proper quality assurance is rather that the amount of people who test and use the software is very small, compared to other software industries. If a plugin merely sells a few thousand copies, there's way less people experiencing and reporting bugs than there are with software which sells in the millions. And way less developers developing the software as well. I definitely experience more bugs in audio software than with my picture editing software, for example. Or internet browsers.

I just wanted to point out that the size of the industry or the company has no direct correlation to the quality of the finished product.

All the plugins I own are rock solid with very few and rare exceptions. Sure there is the odd issue once in awhile but the great thing is you can actually make contact with smaller companies and usually get at least some customer service and often great service.

If you've ever tried to get support from Microsoft you know the meaning of futility. After dealing with the WasSMedic Agent bug for ten months (although to be fair MS did finally fix it) and now dealing with the KB5005212 failure issue on 20% of my Win 10 computers without any response from M$ despite several attempts I can say I'd much rather deal with a smaller company than a giant corporate machine.

Back on the subject of Arturia I really don't have any issues with them. I wish Pigments wasn't so much of a...pig on the CPU but it is what it is. Other than that I think they're doing pretty well.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 amTBH, I think they all suffer from some QA issues as of the last 5 or 6 years or something... Microsoft, Google, Apple.
And you can thank Apple users for all of it. Year after year, other companies watch Apple release shit software, that's not really ready for wide release, and they see that their users don't just put up with it, they defend Apple from any criticism. So the other guys figure that if Apple can get away with, why not them?

Anyway, on topic, I have no opinion one way or the other about Arturia. My KeyStep is awesome, I quite like Analog Lab but I have been disappointed by Pigments. I have never had to use any of their support services, so that's a big positive, and they have gifted us some useful effect plugins over the years. None of which makes me any more or less likely to check out their next product releases or recommend the company to anyone else.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

if they keep updating their back catalogue, keep adding MPE/GUI scaling etc and everything expected from a AAA plugin dev going forward (and backward in those back catalogue updates) I think they could really dominate the scene tbh

IMO their software instruments have taken a big leap forward.. the rewrites and the new stuff (e.g. Pigments). I have a decade old Arturia controller, that has stood up to a lot of abuse over the years.. and while it has a knob or two that no longer function.. everything else works great. I've gone through 2-3 of their competitor controllers during this time period. Arturia hardware (at least circa 2012) was built like a tank.
I reached out to support last year.. asking for consideration on upgrade pricing from VC6 to VC8. Was basically told, go fish. A couple of weeks later the whole upgrade dropped to the price I was looking for... so it could have been that. In any case - support is good. Upgrade policies have changed over the years. Early versions of V Collection/ Laboratory instruments used to not be NFR - allowing one to sell the old versions (I did this with VC3, VC4) and also upgrade to the new version for $99. Basically - making full upgrades of collections free. Someone at Arturia got wise to that, and stopped the practice. IMO .. that was smart of them, and understood. So.. again - happy with the upgrade policy now. Most important though -- their software synths are getting revamped and sound worlds better.

My keystep pro was a buggy pile of junk. Unfortunately the timing with various computers and DAW's was atrocious. I wish it had worked because the concept was great.

I wonder if Arturia will ever make a fully fledged sequencer with the best of beatstep, keystep pro and 37 with mpe, as well as a full hands on experience like the toraiz squid.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

Adobe has the buggiest software of any i use. And they allow industry damaging bugs to persist for years, as if our jobs don't depend on the apps.

I think that they have created a diverse product line and I really enjoy the updates to Microfreak. Can’t wait for a V2!
I also use BS Pro, V Collection and occasionally my old Mini-lab.
Never had any issues with their software and hardware.
Nice seamless authorizing/updates too.
They also seem to give good value for the price and it’s great to pull up a patch on the Software ARP 2600 and see if my Barp can match it.
I was thinking of getting a new keyboard/controller and they are on the short list for sure…

Return to “Instruments”