2020... Stuck Note Bug Still Exists? Really?

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Surprised here. I never had any note hanging issues with Spire in Studio One or Cubase. U-he Repro on the other hand often hangs in Studio One... might have to do with the virtual MIDI keyboard in Studio One though. On the other hand, no other synth I have has such issues.

I purchased Spire two weeks ago and it has really blown me away. Thank you for providing a demo. That pretty much sold me on it. Things have been going great, but I did run into hanging/stuck notes yesterday in a very reproducible way. I noticed mono patches and the sustain pedal don't work well together.

I am on Spire 1.5.5 build 5130. Windows 10 Home 20H2. I have tried in Ableton Live 10.1.30, PlugInGuru's Unify and Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol. The issue occurs with any mono patch I try. I even took the default init and flipped it to mono and was able to reproduce.

To reproduce:
  • Hold down the sustain pedal.
  • Play notes ascending (C, D, E).
  • Play a note that is lower than the last one played (D, for example) and then lift your foot off the pedal. This is the important part.
  • Note sustains and will not turn off.
  • Switching to another mono patch will play that same note.
  • Switching to poly mode seems to be OK, but switching back to mono will continue to play out the note.
I have found two ways to resolve. Either delete the VST and reload it, or retrigger the sustained note. The 2nd one works most of the time, but not 100%.

If I continue playing ascending notes, it's not a problem. The problem is also there when using descending. If I initially start with descending notes, as soon as I play a note HIGHER than the last note, then it hangs.

As I'm just scrolling through sounds, I did not specifically know the sound I was on happened to be mono, so I hit the sustain pedal and had the hanging note. It took me a bit to narrow down what was happening.

Please contact support@reveal-sound.com with detailed information.

Thanks!

Thanks. Just sent off an email.

Was there ever a conclusive answer to what caused this? I'm experiencing stuck notes in the latest release.

same here

same here

Looking forward to your reports at support@reveal-sound.com

Thanks!

vega555 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 pm Looking forward to your reports at support@reveal-sound.com

Thanks!
Hi! Same bug here.
I've sent a bug report (via site support) with a YouTube video link and an Ableton 10.1.42 project attached.
Latest Spire version 1.5.10x-64 build 5183.
:tu:

Please check your email inbox.

There is a Sustain Pedal MIDI command that holds the note in your project.

vega555 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:18 am Please check your email inbox.

There is a Sustain Pedal MIDI command that holds the note in your project.
Yep, I removed the sustain pedal automation and reopened the project and the "stuck" effect is gone.
Thanks for the support!

iPlogger wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:53 pm To reproduce:
  • Hold down the sustain pedal.
  • Play notes ascending (C, D, E).
  • Play a note that is lower than the last one played (D, for example) and then lift your foot off the pedal. This is the important part.
  • Note sustains and will not turn off.
  • Switching to another mono patch will play that same note.
  • Switching to poly mode seems to be OK, but switching back to mono will continue to play out the note.
Just wanted to report that I can reliably reproduce the stuck note issue using the steps above.

This with an empty project with no automation and using an INIT patch set to mono 1.

I am using the latest Spire version 1.5.11 build 5226 on Windows 10 21H2 64 bit in Bitwig.

I have also gotten some stuck notes a few times when not using a sustain pedal in both FL Studio and Bitwig but can't reproduce the issue so far. When and if I can I'll provide further information.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

1.5.11 build 5227 is the latest version. But I've no idea what they mean by 'Minor improvements'...

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm Just wanted to report that I can reliably reproduce the stuck note issue using the steps above.

This with an empty project with no automation and using an INIT patch set to mono 1.

I am using the latest Spire version 1.5.11 build 5226 on Windows 10 21H2 64 bit in Bitwig.

I have also gotten some stuck notes a few times when not using a sustain pedal in both FL Studio and Bitwig but can't reproduce the issue so far. When and if I can I'll provide further information.
Please send the detailed information to support@reveal-sound.com. Thanks!

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:43 pm
Fwiw the latest Build: 5227

Code: Select all

Spire Synthesizer 1.5.11 - build 5227 (2022.04.13)
==========================
* Minor improvements

Return to “Reveal Sound”