Wave Alchemy Triaz [Kontakt]

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Triaz

Bought!

Really well categorized samples, very nice to use in Octatrack. Really nice sounding as well so excellent stuff to load into XO.

Now that I finally actually loaded up the plugin itself... The GUI is way too small like others have already said :(

Really hoping the native plugin will come someday!

BenfordLaw wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:44 pm i.e. UI is flat, drab, grey, boring, and offers no affordances.... So you have to guess what is and isn't a button. 'Clean' as opposed to 'dirty'? Or 'clean' as in 'modern' and therefore 'good', even though it's worse than the user interfaces we've been using since the beginning of WIMP based operating systems, that had clearly visible 3D buttons, scrollbars, etc.?
This is towards to the beginning to the thread but I feel the impulse to respond here. So I will impulse respond. Enjoy at your own discretion :lol: :lol: ! I read you, as if you want to argue, what is objectively good or bad. I also read your follow up post, to which I will respond in the second paragraph.

Here is how I personally see/experience it: This is a great looking interface. My only critique would be that I would like some more contrast e.g. between the background and poti representation. I really don't like 3D buttons, they add clutter and make it slow (for me) to work with a VST. Since you keep asking, clutter in the way i use it here, refers to too much and/or disorganized information. Information is a difference in a context (for e.g. a specific user). So information could be a change in color but also on a higher level, how sets of functions are organized. Everything is clean, meaning visually coherent, organized and not overloaded. I prefer two colors to highlight a shape over using gradients (too much unimportant visual information or "clutter"). The amount of information displayed, can be processed quickly and is grouped systematically. I appreciate the use of a consistent color palette with limited colors. I fully accept people who say it looks terrible to them but I don't see very well, how you could leverage a form of generally applicable critique towards the UI. I own and use the Arturia FX collection but I would pay for it again, if they would offer an interface like in Triaz or Phase Plant does.

Towards your critique, I will reply on a more general level, rather than arguing about the specific points; I agree that that one button is very small :wink: . Why do I need to instantly know what is and what is not a button with 100% accuracy, if I can just click it? Yes, if every pixel could be a button, this doesn't work, but if there is a limited set of things that could be buttons, I just try everything once and then I know. Takes all of a hot second. I personally experience the UI as having very high learnability -- I almost instantly knew, where and what everything is.

I don't expect you to make the same judgements as me. Maybe 3D buttons are more useful to you and you can work a lot faster with them. Maybe this is not a 'fast interactible surface' for you. As you are probably aware, since you appear to be into UI design, judging usability doesn't make sense without positing a problem to solve and looking at a specific type of user (or individual) with a specific skill set, expectations and prior experience. So the idea cant be: are 3D buttons good / bad. The question would have to be: for the intended core audience of the product and in regard to their expectations, experience, workflow and problems to solve, do 3D buttons help us? At least as long as you want to get to a more generalizable judgement. I'm saying this because you don't argue from your point of view, you argue from a point of authority. Just taking a random frame of reference won't yield generalizable results, as you can always find a frame of reference to critique *anything*.

Lastly, I feel the need to say this: You made a comment that "devs get paranoid" about their UI design but at the same time you sometimes use inciting language to express your opinions. E.g. you make tacit claims to authority and strongly formulated fact like judgements. Which is especially surprising to me, since you didn't use the word "affordances" properly. "Affordance" refers to the actions a 'medium' provides a specific user. An interface without affordances, would be one that doesn't 'afford' you any actions. A better formulation could be "The UI doesn't make it apparent (without prior use), what area of the interface provides which type of affordance". This also seems to be the gist of your critique. To which I say: yes maybe but it doesn't have to, to be a good interface.

I also want to provide a quick personal feedback on Triaz. First of, I have to say, I greatly enjoy how WA handles their business. 7 day return period after purchase, concise and informative YouTube videos and a free (albeit quite limited) demo that, and I was especially positively surprised by this, will be downloaded instantly once I register without having to jump through additional hoops (usually its register, confirm, login, look for the link again).

From the layout and included functions Triad is exactly what I'm looking for in a VST drum unit and sequencer. From what I heard in online demos, I like the sample library a lot. The main problem I have with the current release is that its a Kontakt instrument. Kontakt doesn't provide build it scaling. As others have also said, for me it's just too small on my screen to be used comfortably. I have read on YouTube that you plan to create a standalone VST version of Triaz. Do you have a publically shareable timeline for this? (Apologies if I missed a post, where you talked about this).

Now for dreaming: This would basically be the perfect drum unit for me, if it would also have drum synthesis built in. Not sure if creating such a tool is possible, while remaining very fast to use. But exactly Triaz as a drum synth, with the abilities to layer and use samples as well, would get me quite giddy.

Edit: I want to make a last comment in regards to the notion that this should be a version revision of Drumvolution. First off, I get it, there's a lot of functional overlap. If I owned Drumvolution, I might be bummed out as well. I would just point out that allegedly WA put a lot of labor into Triaz: completely original code (or at least written from ground up), big new sample library, new interface design and workflow. Companys need to make money. On the overall "business decision to maximize profits, at the cost of their users" scale, I'll rank this very low. And for me as a new user, this is much more attractive than Drumvolution.

This is pretty much what I wanted when I bought UVI drum designer, to which it shares a lot of similarities in design and function.

Great that the Drumvolution raw samples are now available, hope the same is done for Revolution shortly. Personally, I've never gotten comfortable using Kontakt with these instruments, my workflow is better loading samples into Geist 2 which works so smoothly inside of Cubase. Triaz does look interesting but I'll wait for a native version.
Last edited by chillifunk on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chillifunk wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:41 pm Great that the Drumvolution raw samples are now available, hope the same is done for Evolution shortly. Personally, I've never gotten comfortable using Kontakt with these instruments, my workflow is better loading samples into Geist 2 which works so smoothly inside of Cubase. Triaz does look interesting but I'll wait for a native version.
Drumvolution = Evolution
Maybe you mean Revolution

dermage wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:52 pm
chillifunk wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:41 pm Great that the Drumvolution raw samples are now available, hope the same is done for Evolution shortly. Personally, I've never gotten comfortable using Kontakt with these instruments, my workflow is better loading samples into Geist 2 which works so smoothly inside of Cubase. Triaz does look interesting but I'll wait for a native version.
Drumvolution = Evolution
Maybe you mean Revolution
Yeah mate tnx, Revolution is what i meant. Edited.

so what does the email say? have they fixed the bug that the sequencer goes out of time when changing drum sounds? I still haven't had an email.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:08 pm so what does the email say? have they fixed the bug that the sequencer goes out of time when changing drum sounds? I still haven't had an email.
There's now an "Auto Sync" button in the settings panel, haven't tried yet, but that should do it.

dermage wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:18 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:08 pm so what does the email say? have they fixed the bug that the sequencer goes out of time when changing drum sounds? I still haven't had an email.
There's now an "Auto Sync" button in the settings panel, haven't tried yet, but that should do it.
:tu: cheers i'll try it now

hi, is there a way to add accents to the sequencer as you can in drumvolution...
thanks

I got the drumvolution via PB, I only have the revolution and triaz in my account. I really would like to use the samples in my other sampleplayers. I mailed support with my official serial hoping to find those samples on my accountpage. I do see the Essence packs. Fingers crossed!

Just bought Triaz and I love that the wave files come with it. Finding the wave files for Drumvolution in my account was very cool. Hope Revolution gets the same treatment soon.

I must say I don't like the new "Align Sync" as much, it always needs to wait till the pattern begins again to play the sample.
That's probably similar bad as getting out of sync and restarting the whole playback.
It gets me out of the groove if the element needs to restart.

Hope this could be fine tuned better to change the sample while playing the sequencer?

is there a way to output the sequenced notes via midi to trigger other vsts?
Ive setup kontakt to output midi but I'm only getting 1 note output from all sequences so bass drum is the same note as hi hat etc...

thanks

tonymax wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:48 pm is there a way to output the sequenced notes via midi to trigger other vsts?
Ive setup kontakt to output midi but I'm only getting 1 note output from all sequences so bass drum is the same note as hi hat etc...

thanks
No not yet. I have contact support with the feature request.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”