Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

cyberheater wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:21 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 am I have demoed Model 64, and to me it fails the bass big time compared to both TAL and Arturia. Well, different tastes should not bring anyone down on this. Just enjoy the diversity.
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. I have both the TAL and SoftWave and the bass on the SoftWave sounds just the same as hardware. Speakers beware.
You do not understand people can have other preferences and even perception than yours? Go get a job telling them DEVs when their emus are perfect then if you trust your own perception to be the standard of everyone. :wink:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Rastkovic wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:56 am
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 amI have demoed Model 64, and to me it fails the bass big time compared to both TAL and Arturia.
What does that exactly mean, are you using EQs on your sounds?
It just means that I do not like its bass by default. Sounds unconvincing to me. And yes I eq, but no need to work hard on one if another gives you a better ground.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:19 pm You do not understand people can have other preferences
It's not about preferences. The 84 sounds the same as the hardware. Check this YouTube vid out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duuUbFn7css

If you prefer the bass of another synth then fine but this is a 84 thread.

cyberheater wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:15 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:19 pm You do not understand people can have other preferences
It's not about preferences. The 84 sounds the same as the hardware. Check this YouTube vid out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duuUbFn7css

If you prefer the bass of another synth then fine but this is a 84 thread.
Anecdotal evidence from compressed Youtube vids? You know. I am sorry, but your hard evidence is too soft for me to convince me it is not about preferences. Glad you think you have found an exact copy of the hardware but in my headphones that is far from reality. Suit yourself.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:23 pm but in my headphones that is far from reality.
So you're not even listening on proper monitors. OK.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:01 am So you're not even listening on proper monitors. OK.
Monitors blur differences. In headphones where all the mids are present right in your face, a va is a va. Maybe you are just not as perceptive as I am. Whether I hear what I hear and like what I like is not debatable. I am not speaking on behalf of you. Suit yourself. To each his own.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:15 am Monitors blur differences. In headphones where all the mids are present right in your face, a va is a va. Maybe you are just not as perceptive as I am. Whether I hear what I hear and like what I like is not debatable. I am not speaking on behalf of you. Suit yourself. To each his own.
Aside from differences between units, it sounds like the differences are small and not worth getting wound up over. Even if the software version sounded perfectly the same as the hardware, the hardware would still be incredible and 100% worth owning because it brings something software never can.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:23 pmAnecdotal evidence from compressed Youtube vids?
It's not anecdotal, though, is it? He's a guy who owns a real Juno-106 who says they are all but identical and gives you 40 minutes of examples to demonstrate it. So unless you think his ears are made of cloth, you can take what he says as proof that what you're hearing is at least reasonably accurate. And let's be honest, if anyone was going to find fault, it would be someone who has forked out a fortune for, or spent years lovingly looking after, a real one.
You know. I am sorry, but your hard evidence is too soft for me to convince me it is not about preferences.
I'd suggest that this comment from you proves that point more than anything else. I have no skin in the game, because I don't give a f**k if it sounds like a real one or not but, I they sound close enough to identical as to not make any difference to me. And that's actually a problem for me because I never liked Junos but I do quite like the Model 84.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What are people objecting to here? I gave an opinion and every cue needed that it was such. I told people to enjoy the diversity, not object to it like offended fanbois. Do any of you think I will change my view because you got another? It is like trying to debate my distaste for fish with the goal of making me eat and enjoy them. Go get a purpose with life with better odds.
BONES wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:59 am So unless you think his ears are made of cloth,
That is exactly what I think. And as a researcher who has been in the business for 30 years now, I need no random KVR member to tell me what counts as anecdotal evidence or not. His tests do, among other reasons because he ain't a world standard of perception per se. What do you think samplesizes are for?

A double blind ABX test with a valid samplesize would fare much better, but it better be tested with headphones too for me to think it is constructed properly.

Enjoy your emu. Synths are not main instruments in our music, so I'd have lesser interest in the issue anyway.

Hi and bye

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberheater wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:15 pm It's not about preferences. The 84 sounds the same as the hardware.
No emulation sounds "the same" as the hardware. There's way too many nuances in a synthesizer's sound to capture them all digitally.

If anything, it can be "close enough", depending on the listeners demands.

That's what any developer will tell you as well. It's about the subjective impression, not about capturing everything 1:1. That's just not possible anyway.

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:58 am No emulation sounds "the same" as the hardware. There's way too many nuances in a synthesizer's sound to capture them all digitally.
If you have a seasoned synth player like Starsky with an actual Juno 106 in front of him going through each bit in fine detail and getting confused which was which and saying they are identical then yeah, it sounds the same as hardware.

Like I said. I’ve had several Juno 106s over the years and know the sound inside out. This is a Juno 106.

cyberheater wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:10 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:58 am No emulation sounds "the same" as the hardware. There's way too many nuances in a synthesizer's sound to capture them all digitally.
If you have a seasoned synth player like Starsky with an actual Juno 106 in front of him going through each bit in fine detail and getting confused which was which and saying they are identical then yeah, it sounds the same as hardware.
I hear differences. Just saying.

And, StarskyCarr is surely not the "last resort" of synth comparisons. I see a lot of issues in his comparison videos. Admittedly, comparisons are extremely meticulous.

You mentioned a very important thing though:
cyberheater wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:10 pm Like I said. I’ve had several Juno 106s over the years and know the sound inside out. This is a Juno 106.
If this one subjectively gives you the impression of playing the original, that's all that matters (and all you can ask for from an emulation).

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:20 pm
cyberheater wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:10 pm
I hear differences. Just saying.

And, StarskyCarr is surely not the "last resort" of synth comparisons. I see a lot of issues in his comparison videos. Admittedly, comparisons are extremely meticulous.

You mentioned a very important thing though:
cyberheater wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:10 pm Like I said. I’ve had several Juno 106s over the years and know the sound inside out. This is a Juno 106.
If this one subjectively gives you the impression of playing the original, that's all that matters (and all you can ask for from an emulation).
"I see a lot of issues in his comparison videos" what issues precisely?.

Creating exact copies of hardware in software is not impossible, the Weiss stuff that Softube does is the exact same code apparently as was the Access Virus which was on the older PT systems. They used the same chips as Access and the code was directly ported. AFAIK there is nothing analog in a 106 apart from the DAC in the rear end, I don't know how Softube did it but a number of 106 players "the keys player from Jarimoquai " off the top of my head, comes to the same conclusion as Strarsky. But what do they know.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Luckily for me i didnt like the original when it came out, so i am saving money

Return to “Instruments”